Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85M Engine RPM drop and recently misfired but fixed itself

"M" Specific discussion
Devdilla

Post by Devdilla » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:14 pm

I noticed after about 15 minutes of highway driving, keeping it around 3-4k rpm and coming to a stop my rpms would drop a little but would kick back up and be fine. Just yesterday, however, I was driving and got two blocks down came to a stop and my idle dropped to around 600 and it sounded like it was only running on 4 cylinders and the service light came on. Immediately hit a U-turn and started driving it back home, sounded like a flat-4 for a minute, then kicks back to normal and the service light turns off? I'm really confused and don't wanna drive it anywhere until I can get it checked, but was wondering what it could be or if anyone else has had a similar experience.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:42 pm

Maybe a loose coil pack or one or more are on the way out
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:04 pm

markplant wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:42 pmMaybe a loose coil pack or one or more are on the way out
Generally if the DME shuts down a cylinder due to misfire (such as from a dodgy coil or spark plug) it stays disabled until the engine is restarted.
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR