Feedback on high mileage Z4M roadsters please...

"M" Specific discussion
Theivz
Member
Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:48 pm

Feedback on high mileage Z4M roadsters please...

Post by Theivz » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:53 am

Dear all

Please can I get some advice?

I am looking at high mileage z4m roadsters due to budget. What are the obvious pitfalls? Anything specific to watch out for? All advice greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Image

User avatar
Yorkie Z
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2322
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:19 pm
Location: Plymouth

Feedback on high mileage Z4M roadsters please...

Post by Yorkie Z » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:59 pm

How come your changing your E89 for an M, looks fantastic from the picture :thumbsup:
A Drity M///

User avatar
Beedub
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 8934
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

Feedback on high mileage Z4M roadsters please...

Post by Beedub » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:02 pm

i think whether its low mile or high mile the same applies for both spectrums ...... Will be great to see another swap into the ///M its a very special car!!
Ti silver Z4m Roadster... Homing in on a decade of ownership.... my absolute pride and joy.

Theivz
Member
Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:48 pm

Feedback on high mileage Z4M roadsters please...

Post by Theivz » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:45 pm

Yorkie Z wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:59 pm
How come your changing your E89 for an M, looks fantastic from the picture :thumbsup:
thanks mate. i am part exing my 2 cars for a family car - will post up when i get it.

im just toying with the idea of an older 3.0 z4 manual 03 04 etc or a high mileage z4m roadster mechanically been sorted ... i am hoping to continue my bucket list of tracks including spa and other uk circuits ... not to hoon but just say ive driven on them if you get what i mean so im wondering if i can stretch to m ownership with tax being 500+ and more expensive consumables or whether to strip an older z4 and add LSD etc...
Image

Theivz
Member
Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:48 pm

Feedback on high mileage Z4M roadsters please...

Post by Theivz » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:46 pm

Beedub wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:02 pm
i think whether its low mile or high mile the same applies for both spectrums ...... Will be great to see another swap into the ///M its a very special car!!
music to my ears. getting older and wanting to continue enjoy driving
Image

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 10045
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: South Liverpool
Contact:

Feedback on high mileage Z4M roadsters please...

Post by mmm-five » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:06 pm

Mileage isn’t the killer...it’s the lack of maintenance that is.

If the previous owner hasn’t bothered replacing stuff until it physically breaks, then you could end up with a car where everything ‘works’ but is all 100k mile old.

Or you could get one, like mine, where it’s got more miles on it, but has had everything changed within the last 10,000 miles.

For the former, you’d negotiate to pay less as you know there’s stuff you’d want to change immediately. For the latter it usually means you’ll not need to spend anything in the short term, and the seller may not be receptive to a low ball offer if they’ve recently spent £6k on clutch, flywheel, diff & brakes - hence why mine will probably never go back on the market :P
Last edited by mmm-five on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now over 158,000 miles...Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options
Image

User avatar
Yorkie Z
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2322
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:19 pm
Location: Plymouth

Feedback on high mileage Z4M roadsters please...

Post by Yorkie Z » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:06 pm

Theivz wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:45 pm
Yorkie Z wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:59 pm
How come your changing your E89 for an M, looks fantastic from the picture :thumbsup:
thanks mate. i am part exing my 2 cars for a family car - will post up when i get it.

im just toying with the idea of an older 3.0 z4 manual 03 04 etc or a high mileage z4m roadster mechanically been sorted ... i am hoping to continue my bucket list of tracks including spa and other uk circuits ... not to hoon but just say ive driven on them if you get what i mean so im wondering if i can stretch to m ownership with tax being 500+ and more expensive consumables or whether to strip an older z4 and add LSD etc...
M/// ownership is always a gamble no matter what you do. My old E46 M3 never gave me any problems with 95k on the clock. I know others with way more miles and no problems, then you get a 50k and the engine eats itself. Think it comes down to how they were treated from new. If you keep one long term it's probably wise to factor in a bottom end bearing change for peace of mind. Yearly oil changes are a good idea and always wait till it's properly warm before you have any fun. The rev lights on the dash are pointless, it's the oil temp you need to go by.

A 3.0si fitted with an LSD is a great combo with a lot less worry.
A Drity M///

Theivz
Member
Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:48 pm

Feedback on high mileage Z4M roadsters please...

Post by Theivz » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:12 pm

mmm-five wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:06 pm
Mileage isn’t the killer...it’s the lack of maintenance that is.

If the previous owner hasn’t bothered replacing stuff until it physically breaks, then you could end up with a car where everything ‘works’ but is all 100k mile old.

Or you could get one, like mine, where it’s got more miles on it, but has had everything changed within the last 10,000 miles.

For the former, you’d negotiate to pay less as you know there’s stuff you’d want to change immediately. For the latter it usually means you’ll not need to spend anything in the short term, and the seller may not be receptive to a low ball offer if they’ve recently spent £6k on clutch, flywheel, diff & brakes - hence why mine will probably never go back on the market :P
lol

I see. Great advice - thanks

yes drivetrain components are my main worries - brakes etc are okish

good maintenance important - got it! :)
Image

Theivz
Member
Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:48 pm

Feedback on high mileage Z4M roadsters please...

Post by Theivz » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:15 pm

Yorkie Z wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:06 pm
Theivz wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:45 pm
Yorkie Z wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:59 pm
How come your changing your E89 for an M, looks fantastic from the picture :thumbsup:
thanks mate. i am part exing my 2 cars for a family car - will post up when i get it.

im just toying with the idea of an older 3.0 z4 manual 03 04 etc or a high mileage z4m roadster mechanically been sorted ... i am hoping to continue my bucket list of tracks including spa and other uk circuits ... not to hoon but just say ive driven on them if you get what i mean so im wondering if i can stretch to m ownership with tax being 500+ and more expensive consumables or whether to strip an older z4 and add LSD etc...
M/// ownership is always a gamble no matter what you do. My old E46 M3 never gave me any problems with 95k on the clock. I know others with way more miles and no problems, then you get a 50k and the engine eats itself. Think it comes down to how they were treated from new. If you keep one long term it's probably wise to factor in a bottom end bearing change for peace of mind. Yearly oil changes are a good idea and always wait till it's properly warm before you have any fun. The rev lights on the dash are pointless, it's the oil temp you need to go by.

A 3.0si fitted with an LSD is a great combo with a lot less worry.
hmmm .... your last sentence is the issue lol. my heart says Z4M .. my wallet says 3.0 with lsd lol. Brakes/discs servicing etc will be cheaper...

there is something special about an m car esp the z4m ...
Image

Seanoog
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:38 pm

Feedback on high mileage Z4M roadsters please...

Post by Seanoog » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:12 am

Thanks Theivr, and everyone.
For a most informative and enlightening thread for Z4M's purchasing. :)

Yorkie Z you mention a bottom end bearing change, care to elaborate on this?
100K miles like the Timing Chain + Vanos or at higher millage?

Theivz your head says 3.0 LSD, your heart says Z4M. But if you get the 3.0, you'll always long for some M power in your life. :D
- Well that's my 2 pence, take with a pinch of salt.

Online
no fit state
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:03 pm
Location: UK

Feedback on high mileage Z4M roadsters please...

Post by no fit state » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:28 am

Head over to M3cutters where you'll find much more information on high mileage e46 M3s using the same engine and drive train.

My e46 was pushing 90k miles when I sold it and pulled like a steam train, with the only issues in my three years of ownership being worn front control arms ball joints and a dodgy coil pack.
Z4MC Imola red

Philjwb
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:04 am

Feedback on high mileage Z4M roadsters please...

Post by Philjwb » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:22 pm

No brainer. You only live once - get the Z4M. Mines on 98k and its been faultless in the 2 years I've had it. Far more reliable than my wifes golf.
Also the Z4M will appreciate, whereas the 3.0 won't.

User avatar
Buckz
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1104
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:00 am
Location: West sussex

Feedback on high mileage Z4M roadsters please...

Post by Buckz » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:41 pm

Philjwb wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:22 pm
Also the Z4M will appreciate, whereas the 3.0 won't.
I disagree.

both will appreciate but not to the same extent.
Image

User avatar
DPG
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3969
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:41 pm
Location: West Yorks

Feedback on high mileage Z4M roadsters please...

Post by DPG » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:43 pm

Philjwb wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:22 pm
No brainer. You only live once - get the Z4M. Mines on 98k and its been faultless in the 2 years I've had it. Far more reliable than my wifes golf.
Also the Z4M will appreciate, whereas the 3.0 won't.
:thumbsup:
Audi RSQ3. The family wagon

Gustavo7
Member
Member
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:32 am
Location: London

Feedback on high mileage Z4M roadsters please...

Post by Gustavo7 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:58 pm

Mine is on 117k miles. Owned it since it had 83k and fresh brakes.

34.000 miles in 3 years daily use
6 oil changes + Inspection I
2 brake fluid changes
2 sets of Brake pads
2 sets of tyres
Just replaced all 4 brake discs + a new set of pads and refurbished calipers
Currently replacing suspension front and rear too (it was tired)

Cosmetically new M muiltifunction steering wheel and new M5 F10 gear stick to freshen up the interior.

Never gave me a problem and runs perfectly.
But it’s not cheap to run and maintain, if that concerns you get the 3.0si and add an LSD :thumbsup:
'93 Clio Williams 1 // '84 R5 GT Turbo // Z4M Coupe // Honda Integra Type-R DC2 // Escort RS Turbo S1

Post Reply