Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4m on CSL alignment vs standard

"M" Specific discussion
Tcochrane92

Post by Tcochrane92 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:55 am

Can anyone recommend a good place to get this done in Warwickshire? Standard alignment places won't do this and I'd prefer them to know what they're talking about too :D
Current: Imola Red 400bhp 640d & Ocean Blue BMW S1000XR Sport SE
Past: Silver Grey Z4MR, Silver Grey Z4C & Titan Silver Z4 3.0i

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:07 pm

Tcochrane92 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:55 am Can anyone recommend a good place to get this done in Warwickshire? Standard alignment places won't do this and I'd prefer them to know what they're talking about too :D
If you mean pulling the camber pins, I’d suggest outside your house :wink:
It’s very easy to do, but sure you mark the starting position in case you want to reduce the negative camber back to OEM again.
It does improve turn in and reduce understeer, however, it also made mine tramline like a pig on furrowed motorways and A roads when coupled with 19” wheels and Eibachs.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

TomK

Post by TomK » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:03 am

BMWZ4MC wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:07 pm
Tcochrane92 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:55 am Can anyone recommend a good place to get this done in Warwickshire? Standard alignment places won't do this and I'd prefer them to know what they're talking about too :D
It’s very easy to do, but sure you mark the starting position in case you want to reduce the negative camber back to OEM again.
It does improve turn in and reduce understeer, however, it also made mine tramline like a pig on furrowed motorways and A roads when coupled with 19” wheels and Eibachs.
I suspect he means trying to get an alignment done to 'CSL' spec (not that that is entirely possible with a Z4m, but let's glos over that small detail) or in fact anything different to what the computer says is correct for a z4m is beyond many alignment shop capabilities these days sadly. Asking them to set something outside the 'correct' range gets a confused face in return I've generally found.
Look for a decent race shop that can do your alignment as you wish, afraid I don't know of anything in your area.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Tcochrane92

Post by Tcochrane92 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:17 am

TomK wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:03 am
I suspect he means trying to get an alignment done to 'CSL' spec (not that that is entirely possible with a Z4m, but let's glos over that small detail) or in fact anything different to what the computer says is correct for a z4m is beyond many alignment shop capabilities these days sadly. Asking them to set something outside the 'correct' range gets a confused face in return I've generally found.
Look for a decent race shop that can do your alignment as you wish, afraid I don't know of anything in your area.
Sorry, should have clarified, yes I mean this :)
I've had a similar experience where I've asked my local garages and they've been bewildered as to why I'd want to put another car's geometry on mine!
Current: Imola Red 400bhp 640d & Ocean Blue BMW S1000XR Sport SE
Past: Silver Grey Z4MR, Silver Grey Z4C & Titan Silver Z4 3.0i

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:53 am

I’m not surprised to hear that there’s a complete lack of comprehension why you’d want to do it, but it’s disappointing that they still resist once you’ve explained. I would hope that at least some of the employees would have a passion for cars....
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Dablk

Post by Dablk » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:36 am

is simpson motorsport still going?.. A friend drove his z4mc there from glasgow many years ago to have all this done. with anhost of other bits.
| 07 Carbon Z4MC | Black Nappa | Carbon Leather |
| Oem 224 or CS Wheels In Anthracite | Loads of Toys | Iso Fix for Little One Days Out |
| 37K - June 17 |

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:15 am

Tcochrane92 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:17 am
BMWZ4MC wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:07 pm If you mean pulling the camber pins, I’d suggest outside your house :wink:
Sorry, should have clarified, yes I mean this :)
I've had a similar experience where I've asked my local garages and they've been bewildered as to why I'd want to put another car's geometry on mine!
BMW have been known to put CSL geo on for you, if you ask really nicely... It's rather cheap too.

I doubt they would go full custom for you though
IMOLA Z4///MR

TomK

Post by TomK » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:43 am

Dablk wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:36 am is simpson motorsport still going?.. A friend drove his z4mc there from glasgow many years ago to have all this done. with anhost of other bits.
Yes, I take my car there and will do anything you like with the geo. Fair old schlep for the op from leamington though, I'd have thought there would be somewhere closer that can do this.
RedUn wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:15 amBMW have been known to put CSL geo on for you, if you ask really nicely... It's rather cheap too.
I doubt they would go full custom for you though
Being pedantic it's impossible to put the CSL geo on a Z4M. You can get the camber/toe settings alright but the caster will be greater than a CSL due to the eccentric lollipop bush we have and is not adjustable on both cars.
So our cars will create more effective camber on lock than a CSL and there's nothing really you can do about it (nor might you want to).
effective camber = (static camber) - (caster x sin(wheel angle))
EG with -2.5 degrees camber and 7.4 (Z4M) or 6.5 (CSL) caster you get
Wheel angle Effective camber (Z4M) Effective Camber (CSL)
0 ----------- -2.5 ---------------------- -2.5
10 ----------- -3.8 ---------------------- -3.6
20 ----------- -5 ---------------------- -4.7
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:51 pm

Indeed to be technically correct :thumbsup:

Not a bad thing I guess
IMOLA Z4///MR

TomK

Post by TomK » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:36 am

RedUn wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:51 pm Not a bad thing I guess
I've no real idea to be honest! Upon first appearances you might think so, but like so many things in suspension design one thing generally trades at the expense of another. It's an interesting nuance between the two in any case and I think the eccentric bush mod is/was popular with the m3 lot for the reason I explained above.

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:51 am

Lol.. this is sooo true...

:rofl:
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3