EVO

"M" Specific discussion
User avatar
Beedub
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 9193
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

EVO

Post by Beedub » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:10 pm

Was really nice to see evo have upgraded the ratings of the z4m R and C , both are now rated as 4.5 stars , im not sure how long this has been the case but ratings are higher than some the the current "icons" like the s2000 etc.

Its really nice to slowly see these cars gaining the recognition they so massively deserve, the future for this car is bright im certain in another 5 years these will be really earning even more love as things continue on this current slippery slope of electric steering, economy , small engines and turbo chargers.

mines been with me for 10 years now, and short of bankruptcy ( possible in my line of work :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ) i will never sell it!! and happy new year to everyone and of course my fellow ///M owners :D :D

VRSteve
Member
Member
Posts: 560
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:36 pm
Location: West Sussex

EVO

Post by VRSteve » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:20 pm

Good to know.

I keep thinking about selling mine, but can never quite bring myself to do it.
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

User avatar
buzyg
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 12656
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Cornwall

EVO

Post by buzyg » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:20 pm

Interesting observation Beedub. In a similar vein the FIAT Coupe 20vT was once a 5 star EVO rating. No longer I fear. Never did understand how ratings could change over time. Surely any car should simply be compared to it's peers when first reviewed. Everything else, after that point, is simply EVO being PC or following fashion. :wink:
Image

User avatar
Beedub
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 9193
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

EVO

Post by Beedub » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:45 pm

VRSteve wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:20 pm
Good to know.

I keep thinking about selling mine, but can never quite bring myself to do it.

why are you thinking of selling?? Haven't had yours too long have you?

User avatar
Beedub
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 9193
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

EVO

Post by Beedub » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:45 pm

buzyg wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:20 pm
Interesting observation Beedub. In a similar vein the FIAT Coupe 20vT was once a 5 star EVO rating. No longer I fear. Never did understand how ratings could change over time. Surely any car should simply be compared to it's peers when first reviewed. Everything else, after that point, is simply EVO being PC or following fashion. :wink:

i agree tbh but i always felt the car didn't get a fair show first time round....

VRSteve
Member
Member
Posts: 560
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:36 pm
Location: West Sussex

EVO

Post by VRSteve » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:03 pm

Beedub wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:45 pm
VRSteve wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:20 pm
Good to know.

I keep thinking about selling mine, but can never quite bring myself to do it.

why are you thinking of selling?? Haven't had yours too long have you?
Funnily enough I've had it 4 years today.

I keep looking at 996's, Chimaera's, V8 Westfields. I used to chop and change my cars every year or so, this ones been with me much longer than usual. I just like to try different things, but I struggle to find anything that gives the same performance and reliability as the Z for similar money. The other issue is the better half has a real issue with the idea of the Z being sold, she loves it!!

I like the theatre and noise of a V8, and I like the rawness of a TVR. I've also driven a friends 996 C4 which struck me as a more capable A-B car than the Z, but that's probably down to the 4wd rather than anything else.

In honesty I suspect I will sell a couple of my bikes and use that money to buy a ropey Chim or Westfield, that way I get to keep the Z and get a V8 to play with too.
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

User avatar
Beedub
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 9193
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

EVO

Post by Beedub » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:55 pm

VRSteve wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:03 pm
Beedub wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:45 pm
VRSteve wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:20 pm
Good to know.

I keep thinking about selling mine, but can never quite bring myself to do it.


why are you thinking of selling?? Haven't had yours too long have you?
Funnily enough I've had it 4 years today.

I keep looking at 996's, Chimaera's, V8 Westfields. I used to chop and change my cars every year or so, this ones been with me much longer than usual. I just like to try different things, but I struggle to find anything that gives the same performance and reliability as the Z for similar money. The other issue is the better half has a real issue with the idea of the Z being sold, she loves it!!

I like the theatre and noise of a V8, and I like the rawness of a TVR. I've also driven a friends 996 C4 which struck me as a more capable A-B car than the Z, but that's probably down to the 4wd rather than anything else.

In honesty I suspect I will sell a couple of my bikes and use that money to buy a ropey Chim or Westfield, that way I get to keep the Z and get a V8 to play with too.

i hear ya! nice problem to have :-)

User avatar
Fishy Dave
Member
Member
Posts: 912
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:01 pm
Location: Bath, England
Contact:

EVO

Post by Fishy Dave » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:14 pm

Yes, it's been 4.5 stars for a while now, well deserved too. 8)

I'm sad that I will be selling mine in the spring, I like almost everything about my M; it's the best all round road and track car I've owned. I'm only selling due to wanting to own a V8 once in my life and moving house, so thinning the fleet. Thankfully, for now the prices of the Z4M Roadsters are rising so slowly that I could get back into another one if I've made a mistake.
Corvette C6
Z4 Representative BMWCC GB
Ex Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

User avatar
buzyg
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 12656
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Cornwall

EVO

Post by buzyg » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:22 pm

Beedub wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:45 pm
buzyg wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:20 pm
Interesting observation Beedub. In a similar vein the FIAT Coupe 20vT was once a 5 star EVO rating. No longer I fear. Never did understand how ratings could change over time. Surely any car should simply be compared to it's peers when first reviewed. Everything else, after that point, is simply EVO being PC or following fashion. :wink:

i agree tbh but i always felt the car didn't get a fair show first time round....
Well your unlikely to get any disagreement on that from me. :driving: :D
Image

Online
User avatar
MrPT
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3325
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:44 pm
Location: Bucks/London

EVO

Post by MrPT » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:32 pm

I wonder if they just went through every NA sportscar without electric power steering from the past ten years and bumped them all up half a star? Hindsight is a wonderful thing. :P

Z4MC was listed in the recent best 3 cars for under £50k article too.
Image
Z4MC: SG/Imola|+OEM CSLs|+KWv3|+Eventuri|+OEM strut brace|+DB9 front BBK|+cruise
Z4 2.5si: gone

User avatar
srhutch
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 24982
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: East Sussex, UK
Contact:

EVO

Post by srhutch » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:41 am

MrPT wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:32 pm

Z4MC was listed in the recent best 3 cars for under £50k article too.
The Z4M was, they didn't stipulate C or R :wink:
Image

Online
User avatar
MrPT
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3325
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:44 pm
Location: Bucks/London

EVO

Post by MrPT » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:29 am

srhutch wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:41 am
MrPT wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:32 pm

Z4MC was listed in the recent best 3 cars for under £50k article too.
The Z4M was, they didn't stipulate C or R :wink:
Ah yes. I guess with only £50k to spend on 3 cars, they probably mean the “cheap and cheerful” roadster instead of the “appreciating future classic”. :D
Image
Z4MC: SG/Imola|+OEM CSLs|+KWv3|+Eventuri|+OEM strut brace|+DB9 front BBK|+cruise
Z4 2.5si: gone

User avatar
paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5586
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 5:48 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

EVO

Post by paulgs1000 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:13 am

It's not just Evo highlighting the M - there seems to be an ever increasing number of youtube posts pointing to the Z4M being a great buy for the discerning 'driver'.
(Thought I'd already seen 4.5 stars for the evo rating in the past? And I have a copy of evo from 2006 where a group test choses the Z4M ahead of the Boxster Alpina and Tamara.)
Imola Red/Imola Red ///M (Ultimate fun), replaced 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black (Serious fun) replaced 2006 Silver Grey Facelift 2.0i Sport (terrific fun). MX5 for many years, TVR Chimaera and many motorbikes.
Image

User avatar
Beedub
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 9193
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

EVO

Post by Beedub » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:45 am

paulgs1000 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:13 am
It's not just Evo highlighting the M - there seems to be an ever increasing number of youtube posts pointing to the Z4M being a great buy for the discerning 'driver'.
(Thought I'd already seen 4.5 stars for the evo rating in the past? And I have a copy of evo from 2006 where a group test choses the Z4M ahead of the Boxster Alpina and Tamara.)
You may be right??? but im pretty sure i read a coupe article in EVO that was 4 stars....

Infact the coupe in general wasn't as well received by the press as the roadster version which always seems to do really well beating the top of class or matching it. i remember the PH article on the coupe.... it was a depressing read.

User avatar
Beedub
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 9193
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

EVO

Post by Beedub » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:59 am

Fishy Dave wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:14 pm
Yes, it's been 4.5 stars for a while now, well deserved too. 8)

I'm sad that I will be selling mine in the spring, I like almost everything about my M; it's the best all round road and track car I've owned. I'm only selling due to wanting to own a V8 once in my life and moving house, so thinning the fleet. Thankfully, for now the prices of the Z4M Roadsters are rising so slowly that I could get back into another one if I've made a mistake.

i will be sad to see you go, however things change...... and life comes first, i should have probably sold mine 6 times over but have always held onto it, sometimes to my detriment as i could have really used the money for home improvements , business development etc.......

Post Reply