Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is it possible to make an auto Z4MR?

"M" Specific discussion
Mister T

Post by Mister T » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:18 pm

srhutch wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:38 pm
groovy_hippy wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:11 pm I know someone who converted an SMG E46 M3 from auto to manual (it's now a track car), it surely it must be possible to go the other way!
That’s different as the gearbox is not replaced, just modified to manual, but there was never an SMG for the Z4///M.

My understanding on the Z4///M gearbox is that space is very limited so not sure what options are available.
Too expensive for BMW to make a new transmission tunnel, but not a problem for any competent fabricator.

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:34 pm

What is the difference in the chassis shape between an M and a 3.0ltr in the transmission area?

The steel work I would think is the same for all of the Z’s just brackets etc that changes.

So for my money you would need to remove the manual box ( keep in case you ever need to put it back to sell it) and see if the auto box from the Z that has the closest power etc to the S54 engined M cars will fit, after that it should just be prop shaft and brackets under the car and gear stick (auto one) and trim in the car along with making it work ecu and electrics the hard bit I would suggest.

Simplistic answer I know...

gadgetJunky72

Post by gadgetJunky72 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:01 pm

I should have said I wasn't thinking about engine or transmission swaps as that would make it a pretty uneconomical undertaking. I thought I might have been able to recreate the essence/drama of an M by making smaller changes like suspension, induction, etc.

I was actually thinking of an SMG E46 M3 convertible as an out-of-the-box M-car, but I prefer a 2 seater convertible.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:21 pm

I really wanted to like the E46 M3 vert but it was really disappointing. The chassis is all over the place really not a compromise thats worth it. I fell in love with convertibles with my 996 C4S you would think it would be similar as a car designed as a coupe and lopping the roof off but it is 10 times better. It’s a heavy car but the chassis is not compromised, I find it a great GT and love long road trips in it, even blasting country roads with the great exhaust sound track. I had a Z4Mc originally and the vert never really interested me... then I ended up buying one as it ended up being the obvious choice. I test drove a 35i and although a great car in its own right it just didn’t push my buttons after the E86.

I would seriously consider having test driving one. The m3 vert was a no in the first mile for me this one also was an SMG and I think it’s probably the worst combination. Shame the coupe is probably one of my fav cars ever made many memories as a kid as it was my dads first sports car.

A DCT Z4M would be a very intriguing car.

R60BBA

Post by R60BBA » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:09 am

Mister T wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:18 pm
srhutch wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:38 pm
groovy_hippy wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:11 pm I know someone who converted an SMG E46 M3 from auto to manual (it's now a track car), it surely it must be possible to go the other way!
That’s different as the gearbox is not replaced, just modified to manual, but there was never an SMG for the Z4///M.

My understanding on the Z4///M gearbox is that space is very limited so not sure what options are available.
Too expensive for BMW to make a new transmission tunnel, but not a problem for any competent fabricator.
The SMG box itself is exactly the same, just robotised...
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:21 am

R60BBA wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:09 am
Mister T wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:18 pm
srhutch wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:38 pm That’s different as the gearbox is not replaced, just modified to manual, but there was never an SMG for the Z4///M.

The SMG box itself is exactly the same, just robotised...
Exactly the same as what? E46 M3 has a Getrag gearbox, the Z4M has a ZF gearbox.

Anyway, it's not the gearbox, it's the SMG pump and actuator that you would need to make room for.

alane29

Post by alane29 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:46 pm

Find a SMG box out of the M5 from the same era (E60) it will fit although my M5 with that gearbox was awful especially at low speed :thumbsdown:
2007 E86 M Coupe
2005 E85 2.5SE

gadgetJunky72

Post by gadgetJunky72 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:39 pm

So I have a plan...

I'm going to budget £5-6k for a car and £2k for mods and see what I come up with. the Z4MR owners can have a go in it when it's done and let me know how close I got to the essence/fun factor of a real Z4MR as that's pretty much all I'm after.

I might wait until winter to pick up a cheap car. I'm in no rush as my Range Rover just spat out a huge bill :x

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:47 pm

I don't think £2k will get you anywhere near. You could spend that on a diff and a set of tyres.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:56 pm

That sounds like a good plan OP.

Even as standard I always felt an 3.0Si gave 80% of what the M offers, although sadly you won't get the S54 soundtrack! But an after-market back box or induction kit ought to make an Si sound a bit more purposeful.

And that is a better plan than trying to fit an Auto to an S54 which I don't think would really suit it. Maybe a more modern DCT would work, but that would get very involved - not to mention expensive! The SMG box in the E46 M3 isn't universally popular - there's at least one CSL owner who has had his converted to Manual. :lol:

Good luck with your project anyway. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:19 pm

gadgetJunky72 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:01 pm I thought I might have been able to recreate the essence/drama of an M by making smaller changes like suspension, induction, etc.
The difference between a z4m and a normal z4 is much more than that.
Its not just the engine and suspension.
Z4m has much bigger, semi floating brakes (so proper race tech).
stiffer arb's
limited slip diff
dual exhaust setup with bigger piping.
and of course goodies like M seats, M steering wheel, different styling. But these are all cosmetic/personal aspects.

Of course you can change a z4 to a z4m, and surpass that if you want (power wise, handling wise, stopping wise etc) all to 100% personal preference.
but those are not 'smaller changes'.

If you want to create a setup that is similar to 'somewhat near' a z4m, you need at least about 5-10k in aftermarket parts. And do the work yourself (or pull your wallet again): supercharger (and to get 350hp+ it will get expensive, think 6-8k), lsd, coilovers/quality suspension, arb's, exhaust, brakes (bbk) and then there is the styling/interior but that also depends on what your base car has.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch