Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Potential Z4M Dilemma

"M" Specific discussion
Ed Doe

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by Ed Doe » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:41 am

Scubaregs wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:59 pm
Ed Doe wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:52 pm

Absolute hero :thumbsup:

I'm hoping to keep mine the same, we want to emigrate to Canada and I'd love to take mine over with me! Wife just rolls her eyes :lol:
Perhaps if you offered to take her too? :D
:rofl: I suppose I could :roll:
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

EssexZed

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by EssexZed » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:17 am

Scubaregs wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:59 pm

I'm hoping to keep mine the same, we want to emigrate to Canada and I'd love to take mine over with me! Wife just rolls her eyes :lol:
Perhaps if you offered to take her too? :D
:rofl: :rofl:

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by BMWZ4MC » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:48 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:22 pm Mine has gone from daily driver to weekend car to track car over the last 12 years. It's lived on the street in London, then in garages in London, Buckinghamshire and Devon. It's now in a garage in Sydney because I couldn't bring myself to sell it when I emigrated. I say keep it by whatever means necessary :thumbsup:

Can RHD cars be driven on the road in Canada? Shipping a car isn’t hugely expensive, but look into the regulations before you go. I had to register my intent to ship a car under the personal import scheme within six months of arriving or forfeit the opportunity.
Scubaregs wrote:Perhaps if you offered to take her too? :D
Usually spare parts etc can be included inside the car without incurring additional costs. Perhaps you could save the cost of a flight… :D
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

survivalist

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by survivalist » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:32 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:22 pm Have you tried asking about garage space on here, whereabouts do you live? :?
Rob
I’m in Harpenden in Hertfordshire. He’d a look at a few garages, but they always seem compromised enough that I would use the car even less.

I can decent quality storage, but it’s a good 25 mins away so would definitely use the car less.

Ed Doe

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by Ed Doe » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:19 am

BMWZ4MC wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:48 pm
Can RHD cars be driven on the road in Canada? Shipping a car isn’t hugely expensive, but look into the regulations before you go. I had to register my intent to ship a car under the personal import scheme within six months of arriving or forfeit the opportunity.
Scubaregs wrote:Perhaps if you offered to take her too? :D
Usually spare parts etc can be included inside the car without incurring additional costs. Perhaps you could save the cost of a flight… :D
You can yes. It's a bit muddy and I need to do a chunk more research on it beforehand, but you have to pass an 'out of province vehicle inspection', as part of which various bits need modifying (headlights etc) to drive on the other side of the road. After this it needs to be registered normal and it's good to go!

A bit of me is still tempted if we do move to take it across on the ferry from the UK to East Coast Newfoundland and drive it the width of Canada to Alberta/BC. As road trips go it'd be quite something I reckon! Heyho, will probably be a few years yet before that happens, but I can daydream :lol:
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

vanos

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by vanos » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:13 pm

What did you decide OP?

Simon 3.2M

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by Simon 3.2M » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:24 am

I’d say keep it and enjoy it as much as you can. Forget the low mileage / future value argument because as we’ve all seen recently, tomorrow isn’t guaranteed! I used to be too precious over my MR but now I drive her whenever and she just gets a good clean afterwards and she’s serviced on time. I can see me selling either, the only way I’d do that is to replace her with an MC.
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice

survivalist

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by survivalist » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:49 pm

For anyone who is interested, in the end the solution was…

… to park my E92 M3 on the street and keep the Z4 on the drive.

Now considering replacing the M3 with something else, although it’s a tough one. Didn’t rate the original M2 over the M3, so might look at a M2 Competition.

The other option is to go for something completely different, like a Megane RS or Yaris GR.

The only other option is to sell the Z4 and M3 for a 911 Turbo for a few years (while the kids are small enough to fit in the back)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by buzyg » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:00 pm

Crawford08 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:43 pm I think the answer should always be Drive it.

My E46 M3 had well over 200k miles on it when I sold it for only a little less than any of them that weren't insanely low miles and the guy that bought it wrecked it 3 weeks after owning it.
:cry:

rdm05z4

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by rdm05z4 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:09 pm

survivalist wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:32 pm
Smartbear wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:22 pm Have you tried asking about garage space on here, whereabouts do you live? :?
Rob

I’m in Harpenden in Hertfordshire. He’d a look at a few garages, but they always seem compromised enough that I would use the car even less.

I can decent quality storage, but it’s a good 25 mins away so would definitely use the car less.
If you can afford the storage I would say to keep it. And 25 mins away ? For me not a big deal given the smiles it puts on ones face every time driven. Advice even if you can only get there once a month and take it for a long drive be worth it. Think of it as your personal me time to just forget about all the daily issues.
2005 3.0i Manual, Sterling Gray Metallic Sport suspension, heated seats, top line Business Cd radio
2007 Nissan Maxima -Silver-Auto
2009 VW Wolfsburg Jetta-Black-6sp manual

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Potential Z4M Dilemma

Post by craig3.2 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:12 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:22 pm Mine has gone from daily driver to weekend car to track car over the last 12 years. It's lived on the street in London, then in garages in London, Buckinghamshire and Devon. It's now in a garage in Sydney because I couldn't bring myself to sell it when I emigrated. I say keep it by whatever means necessary :thumbsup:

Definitely take the z4 to Canada if you can,you would regret getting rid of it if you did,as others have said.
Good luck with the move,if you do go,Ed :thumbsup:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)