Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4MR Spring Dilemma

"M" Specific discussion
RvsBmw

Z4MR Spring Dilemma

Post by RvsBmw » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:46 pm

Hi Andy/All,

I changed my stock springs for eibach on the OEM dempers.
Would do it again, or just go for the KW v3 or other A-class coils.

Why Eibach for me:
- Nice ride height, just OEM+. And not visible lower than "stock" like HR;
- Also comfort is the same or slightly better than oem. People say that HR is stiffer than standard, but i didnt drove a car with OEM dampers + HR.

If needed, i can send you detailed pictures of the ride height with OEM dampers + Eibach springs.
BMW Z4M Coupe '08 | Sapphire Black | Bicolour Silverstone Anthrazit | OEM CSL's | Aero's

brownah

Z4MR Spring Dilemma

Post by brownah » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:49 pm

RvsBmw wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:46 pm Hi Andy/All,

Why Eibach for me:
- Also comfort is the same or slightly better than oem. People say that HR is stiffer than standard, but i didnt drove a car with OEM dampers + HR.

If needed, i can send you detailed pictures of the ride height with OEM dampers + Eibach springs.
I would really appreciate some pics of this.

I ordered a Bilstein B12 pro Kit which comes with 20mm Front and 10mm rear eibach springs.

But it's taking so long from Bilstein on back order I'm thinking about just going for stock shocks with the Eibach springs

AndyT

Z4MR Spring Dilemma

Post by AndyT » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:04 pm

RvsBmw wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:46 pm Hi Andy/All,

Why Eibach for me:

Would be great to see the difference :thumbsup:
--- Currently - 2007 Z4MR

--- Previous BMWs - Z4 M40i First Edition, Z4 2.5i Sport, 430d xdrive Coupe, 330i Coupe, 525i, 540i, Z4 2.5i, 330ci Convertible, Z3
--- Plus over 40 non BMWs inc. S2000, Focus ST, Octavia VRS, RS3, MINI JCW

RvsBmw

Z4MR Spring Dilemma

Post by RvsBmw » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:34 pm

AndyT wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:04 pm Would be great to see the difference :thumbsup:
Hi Andy/Brownah,

Will make the pictures this saterday when the car is clean.
Lots of rain, cannot introduce the car here filthy ;).
BMW Z4M Coupe '08 | Sapphire Black | Bicolour Silverstone Anthrazit | OEM CSL's | Aero's

bakes100

Z4MR Spring Dilemma

Post by bakes100 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:28 pm

I assume I am in the minority here but I have the Eibachs fitted to my Z4MC and in my opinion the front springs are too low and too hard, giving very little suspension travel. The rears are perfect in terms of ride height and stiffness.

I will soon be swapping my fronts back to OEM springs with the Bilstein struts.
2006 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black
2007 BMW Z4M Coupe - Silver Grey - GONE

RvsBmw

Z4MR Spring Dilemma

Post by RvsBmw » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:53 pm

bakes100 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:28 pm I assume I am in the minority here but I have the Eibachs fitted to my Z4MC and in my opinion the front springs are too low and too hard, giving very little suspension travel. The rears are perfect in terms of ride height and stiffness.

I will soon be swapping my fronts back to OEM springs with the Bilstein struts.
Ah, i dont have that problem in The Netherlands, even with the speedbumps here!
Perhaps if you have a frontsplitter like APR its more of a problem.

RedUn

Z4MR Spring Dilemma

Post by RedUn » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:44 pm

I'll be the miserable one on here. .. People need to be really careful mixing suspension/springs.

Your seriously affecting the weight distribution of the car which could cause unknown handling affects.

As standard the zed is rear biased, lowering the rear only will only make it worse. 50:50 weight distribution in the zed "looks" nose down.

I know the cars are older and cheaper these days but it's a 165+mph car your messing with here, it's not a toy, be careful we don't want any accidents, there's not many nice ones left :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR

RvsBmw

Z4MR Spring Dilemma

Post by RvsBmw » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:21 pm

RedUn wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:44 pm I'll be the miserable one on here. .. People need to be really careful mixing suspension/springs.
Your seriously affecting the weight distribution of the car which could cause unknown handling affects.

As standard the zed is rear biased, lowering the rear only will only make it worse. 50:50 weight distribution in the zed "looks" nose down.

I know the cars are older and cheaper these days but it's a 165+mph car your messing with here, it's not a toy, be careful we don't want any accidents, there's not many nice ones left :thumbsup:
Trust me the eibach works very well at 165+ ;). Also eibach isnt that kind of shady company. Even H&R is well known, check out the numberplates in case of a race around the Nürburgring. So no worries there.

RedUn

Z4MR Spring Dilemma

Post by RedUn » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:37 pm

RvsBmw wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:21 pm
RedUn wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:44 pm I'll be the miserable one on here. .. People need to be really careful mixing suspension/springs.

Trust me the eibach works very well at 165+ ;). Also eibach isnt that kind of shady company. Even H&R is well known, check out the numberplates in case of a race around the Nürburgring. So no worries there.
Im talking about people mixing oem and aftermarket suspension on different axles.

I know Eibach and H&R very well :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR

RvsBmw

Z4MR Spring Dilemma

Post by RvsBmw » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:03 pm

RedUn wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:37 pm I know Eibach and H&R very well :thumbsup:
Ah, misunderstanding sorry!
Best to go direct with KW v3 or Cs with a good setup.

RedUn

Z4MR Spring Dilemma

Post by RedUn » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:42 pm

RvsBmw wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:03 pm
RedUn wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:37 pm I know Eibach and H&R very well :thumbsup:
Ah, misunderstanding sorry!
Best to go direct with KW v3 or Cs with a good setup.
Indeed but not everyone wants to spend so much hence lots choosing springs or a spring and damper combination.

I think the main thing here is, don't mix these things up :)
IMOLA Z4///MR

RvsBmw

Z4MR Spring Dilemma

Post by RvsBmw » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:04 pm

AndyT wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:04 pm Would be great to see the difference :thumbsup:
Hi Andy/All,

See pictures below.
12,5cm/4,9inches ground to front lip (left/right) = lowest point
16cm/6,2inches ground to front lip (middle)
Hope this will help. For me this is how they needed to deliver from factory ;).

Full side
BMW Z4 M Coupe Eibach Side.jpg
BMW Z4 M Coupe Eibach Side.jpg (284.15 KiB) Viewed 730 times
Front
BMW Z4 M Coupe Eibach Front - Small.png
BMW Z4 M Coupe Eibach Front - Small.png (1.99 MiB) Viewed 730 times
Rear
BMW Z4 M Coupe Eibach Rear - Small.png
BMW Z4 M Coupe Eibach Rear - Small.png (1.96 MiB) Viewed 730 times
Closeup front
BMW Z4 M Coupe Eibach Closeup Front.jpg
BMW Z4 M Coupe Eibach Closeup Front.jpg (261.44 KiB) Viewed 730 times
Closeup Rear
BMW Z4 M Coupe Eibach Closeup Rear.jpg
BMW Z4 M Coupe Eibach Closeup Rear.jpg (270.25 KiB) Viewed 730 times
Cheers
Last edited by RvsBmw on Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RvsBmw

Z4MR Spring Dilemma

Post by RvsBmw » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:56 pm

brownah wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:49 pm I would really appreciate some pics of this.

I ordered a Bilstein B12 pro Kit which comes with 20mm Front and 10mm rear eibach springs.

But it's taking so long from Bilstein on back order I'm thinking about just going for stock shocks with the Eibach springs
See above ;)

Bigpow

Z4MR Spring Dilemma

Post by Bigpow » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:28 pm

Franzino wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:07 pm
Bigpow wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:09 pm I have h&r on the rear and coil overs in the front. Ride is now spot on 👍🏻
So original dampers with H&R spring at the rear and adjustable coilovers at the front....wow this is a strange suspension set up. :o
Yeah odd but, it works on our great pot hole roads over here. Haven’t had a 4 wheel alignment yet, but tracks and handles spot on without the over correction wiggle 👍🏻

HSD are clueless by the way, but the front coil overs work 👍🏻
Z4MR - Sapphire black.imola.carbon.19" csl's.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Z4MR Spring Dilemma

Post by tomscott » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:19 am

I had H&Rs on my Z4MC the dampers were weeping in no time. It looked good but bottomed out all the time on a-b roads but it was flat and much better than the OEM as my MR feels floaty. I would go the B12 kit route and plan on doing the same with my MR.

ImageBMW Z4M Coupe with CSL wheels by Tom Scott, on Flickr