Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Service cost & Intervals

"M" Specific discussion
wonkydonkey

Service cost & Intervals

Post by wonkydonkey » Wed May 05, 2021 10:47 pm

srhutch wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:36 pm So sound much like myself, more than competent and willing to do all servicing yourself, but know that if/when you come to self that self service will affect selling. There will be a point in time though that I would like to think I can service myself without affecting its value. The old boys with their TR6’s for example I would expect are self serviced for example.
I daresay if a seller has owned a vehicle for 5+ years, servicing it themselves the whole time (with receipts to back it up), and the car still looks and runs well, you'd have some confidence in that person's abilities. A conversation about the jobs they've undertaken and a glance around their garage (for decent tools and tidy surroundings) would probably add to that good feeling. There are definitely some questionable-yet-brave home mechanics out there who might have a bash at re-shimming an S54 using 5p coins though, so it does make it more hit and miss than a reputable independent, I would say!
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

Status

Service cost & Intervals

Post by Status » Sun May 09, 2021 8:12 am

Get my oil from opie oils costs about £55 and the filter about £8 as it’s the same as the one from the bm dealer which they charge over fifteen quid for,I do an oil and filter change on my M yearly even though it doesn’t require one as oil deteriates sitting there and engines like clean oil,all the other stuff gets done if it needs it or book says it’s time,why some of you go to a bm main dealer i can work that one out,must have more money than sense,£199 for oil and filter change,garage I go to will do that for a lot less using correct oil and stamp yer book,they are vat registered and I get my van serviced there and that’s still under warranty as for these engines I keep hearing how good they are but as I keep reading about Vanos and shells getting done even just for preventative measures makes me think they are not that good compared to other engines where you don’t have all that worry although my M is a low mileage car and I’ll only do bits if they need it,as they say if it ain’t broke and if anyone wants their car looked at without getting ripped of by a main dealer the garage I use is based Essex and they fix any car that’s out there from prestige to old bangers,got four wheel alignment,mot bay,proper old school mechanics that have kept up with the times and invested in equipment and their staff

msportpanda

Service cost & Intervals

Post by msportpanda » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:14 pm

Could do with a spot of advice r.e servicing if anyone can help:

I bought my car in Sept 2021 and at the time immediately had an Inspection 2 done at RBM. They advised it didn't need any shims etc and was fine. Done at 104k miles.

In Jan 2023 I then had an oil service carried out, without paying any mind to the service indicator. That was at 112k miles, the service indicator hadn't come on yet and I think that the garage may have reset it.

So the question is, is it time for an inspection 1 now? Or am I okay to stick to the oil service that the service indicator would have likely pinged up now? Would I need the valve clearances checked again 10k miles after they were last checked?

All thoughts and opinions would be very welcome.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Service cost & Intervals

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:05 pm

I'd be interested in peoples' thoughts on that too!

My MC had an Inspection 2 at RBM in April 2020 at 77,096 miles (it needed 5 shims) then an Oil Service in September 2022 on 83,521 miles. So it will be due a service based on time in September this year.

It's now done almost 90,000 miles and will probably only be on about 93K by September, so I'm thinking of just having an Oil Service because I can't see valve clearances needing adjustment again after only 16,000 miles. I'd then get an Inspection 1 done in 2026.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

beanie

Service cost & Intervals

Post by beanie » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:05 am

Edit: just realized I’d quoted a post from 2021!

Time for bed I think :oops:
RUBYIMOLACARBON