Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Service cost & Intervals

"M" Specific discussion
Adam D

Service cost & Intervals

Post by Adam D » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:47 pm

Mangozac wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:18 pm The time based oil changes should definitely not have the service counter reset, but should still be recorded in the service book.
Well what can you expect from a main dealer... :rofl: :headbang:
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

-Tom-

Service cost & Intervals

Post by -Tom- » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:49 pm

-Tom- wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:57 pmHi guys. I know this has been done to death, and I haven’t posted anything interesting on here in a year (s) :tumbleweed: but ...

I’m confused. Servicing dept says she’s due ins 2, which is what I thought. But having read loads on here, I’m wondering if it is an oil change instead and perhaps mine has been over service before and in my care.

I’ve done 2k since the oil service last year, 6k since insp 1 2 years ago.

Soooo ... insp 2 plus brake fluid, or oil change plus brake fluid. :roll:
So my car has been in the dealers for a week as it sounds like I’m about to leave the Diff in the road every time I gently speed up or slow down.

Mileage is even more embarrassing than I thought ... 2k Miles in 16 months. The cost per mile makes me dizzy.

I left my service book with them as I know it needs at least oil and brake fluids ... they have come back saying it needs insp ll. :tumbleweed:
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

pvr
Legend
Legend

Service cost & Intervals

Post by pvr » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:14 pm

They say that because the service advisors don't understand M cars. They work on the common 318s that go Oil - Insp - Oil - Insp etc and can not comprehend a different schedule for different cars.

I had the same issue with the M as well as the Abarth that also works that way. Very few dealers are up to speed on this.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

srhutch

Service cost & Intervals

Post by srhutch » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:13 pm

You only need another oil services. Brake fluid change if 2 years old.

Mangozac

Service cost & Intervals

Post by Mangozac » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:22 pm

Ask your service adviser to consult one of his or her colleagues who is more familiar with cars of that vintage. Doing an inspection 2 so soon is a waste of money!

I'm not being facetious when I use the word "vintage" either: the familiarity with cars older than the current model drops off very quickly, since the majority of the work that dealers do is on current model cars still under warranty and service contract. Most people won't pay the insane BMW labour rates once a car starts getting older.
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

-Tom-

Service cost & Intervals

Post by -Tom- » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:46 pm

pvr wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:14 pmThey say that because the service advisors don't understand M cars. They work on the common 318s that go Oil - Insp - Oil - Insp etc and can not comprehend a different schedule for different cars.

I had the same issue with the M as well as the Abarth that also works that way. Very few dealers are up to speed on this.
srhutch wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:13 pmYou only need another oil services. Brake fluid change if 2 years old.
Mangozac wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:22 pmAsk your service adviser to consult one of his or her colleagues who is more familiar with cars of that vintage. Doing an inspection 2 so soon is a waste of money!

I'm not being facetious when I use the word "vintage" either: the familiarity with cars older than the current model drops off very quickly, since the majority of the work that dealers do is on current model cars still under warranty and service contract. Most people won't pay the insane BMW labour rates once a car starts getting older.
I’m like a broken record asking this twice. Thanks again.

Yes, this was the verdict after someone “in the know” had a look through my book :tumbleweed: I will just get the oil and brake fluid done.

My gut instinct with the car is something major is broken on the back end. They can’t find the fault , and have asked me back in to replicate it. One tech had heard it and agreed it sounded like nothing he’d heard! But he can’t reproduce it.

So I might get a diff oil change as a freebie at this rate :cry:
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

Mangozac

Service cost & Intervals

Post by Mangozac » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:58 am

Tom just so we're all crystal clear, what does your service indicator currently say (oil/insp 1/insp 2 and miles)?
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

-Tom-

Service cost & Intervals

Post by -Tom- » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:42 am

Mangozac wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:58 amTom just so we're all crystal clear, what does your service indicator currently say (oil/insp 1/insp 2 and miles)?
It says inspection and then way over 10k miles.

I think also, they’ve reset the service the counter st an oil change.

I’ve found the random little M booklet, which says exactly the same as you guys :thumbsup: i will take that in with me today. It’s crazy that dealerships don’t know this
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (460.91 KiB) Viewed 1582 times
-Tesla M3 LR

Mangozac

Service cost & Intervals

Post by Mangozac » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:18 pm

-Tom- wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:42 am
It says inspection and then way over 10k miles.

I think also, they’ve reset the service the counter st an oil change.

I’ve found the random little M booklet, which says exactly the same as you guys :thumbsup: i will take that in with me today. It’s crazy that dealerships don’t know this
Sounds like you're always going to have to keep a close eye on them in the future!

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Service cost & Intervals

Post by flimper » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:55 pm

Thread resurrection guys, I thought I knew what to do in this situation but I am now confused after speaking to TWG. Basically unsure whether I need an Insp 2 or on Oil Service.

History as follows:
Insp 1 2010 @ 19k
Insp 2 2014 @ 37k
Insp 1 2017 @ 53k

Car is on 61k miles now and I thought it should be an Oil Service next as not done the mileage to warrant the Insp 2 but Will has mentioned that it should be an Insp 2 as has been 7 years since having the Gearbox and Diff oils changed. Thoughts?

Edit: Should mention it has also had oil changes at 8k, 29k, 47k & 57k
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

AndyBeech

Service cost & Intervals

Post by AndyBeech » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:11 pm

Technically an oil change I believe but if your worried about the other oils you can change them for a bit extra, shouldn’t cost a whole lot more to do those as well.
To be fair it only had an oil change 4K ago so could wait a bit longer if you wanted
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Service cost & Intervals

Post by flimper » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:27 pm

That was in the back of my mind Andy, a bit of a middle ground
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

AndyBeech

Service cost & Intervals

Post by AndyBeech » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:42 pm

I would just get an oil change, and the other fluids if you fancy it then the next one will be an Insp2. I don't think Will is wrong either as he's saying that it's been a good few years which is a fair point...comes down to how much wedge you fancy spending to be honest!
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

Nickbmw08

Service cost & Intervals

Post by Nickbmw08 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:17 pm

I have a 08 Z4M Roadster, don't use it much at the moment but I want to make sure I keep up the maintenance as required.

Previous service history as follows will miss out the first few,

14/3/13 inspection 1 (7,302)
19/3/15 oil service (23,103)
18/4/17 inspection 2 (27,981)
9/5/19 oil service (35,222)

Currently mileage is 37,000

BMW high wycombe have suggested it requires a inspection 1? Is that correct on would a simple oil service be sufficient?

Happy to put it through whichever it needs but seems stupid paying a lot for the Insp 1 when it doesn’t need it!
Thanks
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Service cost & Intervals

Post by mmm-five » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:02 pm

Nickbmw08 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:17 pm I have a 08 Z4M Roadster, don't use it much at the moment but I want to make sure I keep up the maintenance as required.

Previous service history as follows will miss out the first few,

14/3/13 inspection 1 (7,302)
19/3/15 oil service (23,103)
18/4/17 inspection 2 (27,981)
9/5/19 oil service (35,222)

Currently mileage is 37,000

BMW high wycombe have suggested it requires a inspection 1? Is that correct on would a simple oil service be sufficient?

Happy to put it through whichever it needs but seems stupid paying a lot for the Insp 1 when it doesn’t need it!
Thanks
Inspections are mileage/OBC based - not time-based.

The only stipulation from BMW is that an oil service needs to be carried out at least every 2 years...and even that was for warranty purposes really.

However, most enthusiasts would like to see that routine followed too - as it shows the owner has paid at least some attention to the manual/forum...along with 2-3 year brake fluid changes as that degrades whether you use it or not.

Personally - when I was regularly driving 2000 miles a month - I would have multiple oil/filter changes each year and an Inspection once a year. Now that the car doesn't get used much (or won't once it's finally fixed) I'm going to stick to the Inspection every year and only do oil services before/after weekends away at the Ring.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options