Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

WANTED Front and rear E85 headlight level sensor rods

Buying and selling Z4 related goods (private sales only, no traders)
thecremeegg

Front and rear E85 headlight level sensor rods

Post by thecremeegg » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:22 pm

So my Z4 failed its MOT today on the headlight level sensors.

I need the connecting rod for the front and rear level sensors, plus a new front level sensor as the arm is broken.

Anyone got these I can have, or alternatively point me to the part numbers or how I can get them in the UK?!

Thanks!
Z4M - Interlagos Blue with Black Leather
Z4 3.0i - Sapphire Black with Red Leather - FOR SALE!

z4pilot

Post by z4pilot » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:28 pm

Can't help although mine failed it's mot with the same issue. The part was dirt cheap from bmw - about £8 I think, but the labour to fit was about £80 :o
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

George7

Post by George7 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:36 pm

Are they halogens or xenon? Xenon has one Switch located on the body in the offside wheel arch, connected to the wishbone arm. This automatically levels the lights from start up. You'll notice the motors adjust the lights from right down to the correct level when using the auto headlight function. The usual fault with this is the arm snaps off the switch and doesn't motor the lights to the correct position. I bought one on e bay and it took about 1/2 hour to replace it. If it's the adjusters on the top of the lights themselves, I'm having problems myself with one and am looking for some parts in a separate thread. If they're halogens, maybe someone else can help as I've no experience of them.
Good luck George
X5 30i
530 GT
420 M Sport Plus Grand Coupe-hardon karmon,19" alloys, pro nav, sun roof
Z4 2.5 Roadster, cruise, xenons, sports suspension, red leather, heated seats, heated folding mirrors, aux fitted, 107s, roof motor in boot.

Chrisd928

Post by Chrisd928 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:03 pm

thecremeegg wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:22 pm So my Z4 failed its MOT today on the headlight level sensors.

I need the connecting rod for the front and rear level sensors, plus a new front level sensor as the arm is broken.

Anyone got these I can have, or alternatively point me to the part numbers or how I can get them in the UK?!

Thanks!
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=31_0644
Thats for an E86 but should be the same, Enter your VIN to the site and then go to the same page
Dead easy to fit, 15 min tops. up to you but i replaced the sensor from ebay (£15) and the nuts, arm, bracket from bmw, very inexpensive.
you will likely find the sensor arm has snapped, the ebay one works fine.
E86 3.0Si in midnight blue, stubby and csl reps only mods. Currently rebuilding all suspension and drivetrain.

Chrisd928

Post by Chrisd928 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:04 pm

z4pilot wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:28 pm Can't help although mine failed it's mot with the same issue. The part was dirt cheap from bmw - about £8 I think, but the labour to fit was about £80 :o
That's a lot for a 15 min job, was that BMW or an indy?
E86 3.0Si in midnight blue, stubby and csl reps only mods. Currently rebuilding all suspension and drivetrain.

thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:32 pm

Chrisd928 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:03 pm
thecremeegg wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:22 pm So my Z4 failed its MOT today on the headlight level sensors.

Thanks!
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=31_0644
Thats for an E86 but should be the same, Enter your VIN to the site and then go to the same page
Dead easy to fit, 15 min tops. up to you but i replaced the sensor from ebay (£15) and the nuts, arm, bracket from bmw, very inexpensive.
you will likely find the sensor arm has snapped, the ebay one works fine.
Thanks for this, that's what I've done!
The garage were great, they put the car in the air and showed me what was broken. The front sensor is still there but the assembly that connects to the car has gone so I've ordered new ones from BMW. Likewise at the rear, the arm is missing so I've bought from BMW.

Can probably close the thread now hah!
Z4M - Interlagos Blue with Black Leather
Z4 3.0i - Sapphire Black with Red Leather - FOR SALE!