Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

NO LONGER WANTED Genuine Siemens E85 3.0i MAF

Buying and selling Z4 related goods (private sales only, no traders)
Ruofdez

Genuine Siemens E85 3.0i MAF

Post by Ruofdez » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:21 am

As per title after a genuine MAF for my 2003 3.0i. I’ve got a very small issue that seems to be caused by a dead MAF and I’m reluctant to pay the high price for a new one but would be happy to pay a more reasonable amount for a working second hand one.

Thanks.

Edit - As a side note if anyone around the Fareham/Southampton area with the same car is willing to let me plug their maf into my car to confirm this resolves the issue I’m happy to pay something.
Last edited by Ruofdez on Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gone: Sterling Grey '03 Z4 3.0i | Custom Exhaust System | Lowered
Gone: Silver Grey ’06 Z4 3.0Si | Full Aero Body Kit | Back Box Delete
Current: Silver Grey '58 Z4 3.0Si | Back Box Delete

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:46 am

When my maf died i just bought a £40 ebay special... ran a bit rough to start, but after a hard reset of the ecu (ie disconnect the battery for 15 mins) its running fine now. Certainly a lot cheaper than a genuine one, and cured my frankly dangerous 'engine cutting out under full throttle' moments...

roesroyce

Post by roesroyce » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:58 am

Interesting
My 2.5 has the same issue cuts out at high revs so have unplugged my maf sensor so it's safe to drive .
My maf is a seimens and yes they are expensive to buy new.
There are lots of cheap ones on ebay but was worried they wouldn't work ! so if yours seems ok any chance you could let me us know the make you bought as I might purchase one .
Cheers

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:01 am

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1635671595

Thats the one i bought, thought it worth a punt for £40.

roesroyce

Post by roesroyce » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:32 am

Thanks very much appreciate you quick response.
While looking on ebay I found a genuine used Siemens maf £45 same part number as mine so bought it hope it works ha ha
Anyway thanks again :thumbsup:

Ruofdez

Post by Ruofdez » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:47 pm

brillomaster wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:46 am When my maf died i just bought a £40 ebay special... ran a bit rough to start, but after a hard reset of the ecu (ie disconnect the battery for 15 mins) its running fine now. Certainly a lot cheaper than a genuine one, and cured my frankly dangerous 'engine cutting out under full throttle' moments...
First time I’ve heard someone say that on the forums. Usually the advice is that you should go original or not bother so that’s interesting. I think I would prefer to get a genuine one to be honest and will if necessary buy one from the likes of eurocarparts but where I’m in no mad rush thought it was worth posting a thread on here to see if I can get hold of one cheaper. But thanks for replying and perhaps I’m wasting money and should just go with the cheap one. Great that it sorted your issue.

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:35 am

Check out the Hella manufactured MAF. I am not sure if they are available for your model, but I got one for my N52 engined 3 series as a compromise between third part and OEM, as at least Hella are an OE manufacturer and should be better quality than an ebay special.

Ruofdez

Post by Ruofdez » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm

propaintballa wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:35 am Check out the Hella manufactured MAF. I am not sure if they are available for your model, but I got one for my N52 engined 3 series as a compromise between third part and OEM, as at least Hella are an OE manufacturer and should be better quality than an ebay special.
Thanks, will take a look :thumbsup:

Ruofdez

Post by Ruofdez » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:02 am

propaintballa wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:35 am Check out the Hella manufactured MAF. I am not sure if they are available for your model, but I got one for my N52 engined 3 series as a compromise between third part and OEM, as at least Hella are an OE manufacturer and should be better quality than an ebay special.
Ended up getting a Hella one as per your recommendation thank you.

Ruofdez

Post by Ruofdez » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:55 am

Just wanted to update this thread. My Hella MAF started causing problems a few months in. Acceleration had become jerky, like I was going on and off the power slightly at 3-4k revs, only fairly subtle but very irritating. Stopped doing it once MAF unplugged. The eBay seller I bought it from was brilliant and gave me another no questions asked so I'm hoping it was a one off and not an issue with these MAFs but if I were to buy one again now, I'd spend the extra and go genuine just in case.

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:33 pm

Ruofdez wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:55 am Just wanted to update this thread. My Hella MAF started causing problems a few months in. Acceleration had become jerky, like I was going on and off the power slightly at 3-4k revs, only fairly subtle but very irritating. Stopped doing it once MAF unplugged. The eBay seller I bought it from was brilliant and gave me another no questions asked so I'm hoping it was a one off and not an issue with these MAFs but if I were to buy one again now, I'd spend the extra and go genuine just in case.
Hmmm, I'm sorry to hear that, dude. Makes me wonder whether my Hella MAF has been the cause of my car's hesitation problems all this time :/

I'd be interested in any updates down the line with your replacement unit. I assume you're resetting all adaptions before installing the MAF?

Ruofdez

Post by Ruofdez » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:24 pm

propaintballa wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:33 pm [quote=Ruofdez post_id=<a href="tel:1735834">1735834</a> time=<a href="tel:1587286527">1587286527</a> user_id=30629]
Just wanted to update this thread. My Hella MAF started causing problems a few months in. Acceleration had become jerky, like I was going on and off the power slightly at 3-4k revs, only fairly subtle but very irritating. Stopped doing it once MAF unplugged. The eBay seller I bought it from was brilliant and gave me another no questions asked so I'm hoping it was a one off and not an issue with these MAFs but if I were to buy one again now, I'd spend the extra and go genuine just in case.
Hmmm, I'm sorry to hear that, dude. Makes me wonder whether my Hella MAF has been the cause of my car's hesitation problems all this time :/

I'd be interested in any updates down the line with your replacement unit. I assume you're resetting all adaptions before installing the MAF?
Do you still have the problems when the MAF is unplugged? I find mine runs relatively well with no MAF, no hesitation issues so could be worth a try to see if it could be the maf?

I haven’t reset adaptions no. I’ve seen it referred to a few time’s on here but didn’t know what it was or how to do it. I shall go and do some reading thank you...

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:12 pm

Ruofdez wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:24 pm
propaintballa wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:33 pm [quote=Ruofdez post_id=<a href="tel:1735834">1735834</a> time=<a href="tel:1587286527">1587286527</a> user_id=30629]

Do you still have the problems when the MAF is unplugged? I find mine runs relatively well with no MAF, no hesitation issues so could be worth a try to see if it could be the maf?

I haven’t reset adaptions no. I’ve seen it referred to a few time’s on here but didn’t know what it was or how to do it. I shall go and do some reading thank you...
Yeah I do, but it's a massively long story haha. Ahhh, you should definitely do that. I think there is a way to do it with the throttle pedal and turning the ignition on/off or something. Best way is with an OBD tool or ISTA if you have either.

Ruofdez

Post by Ruofdez » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:11 pm

Well I wanted to update the thread. I've had my replacement Hella MAF (the second one) in for a couple of months and once again the same thing has happened. So as that's two of them that have gone bad, unless there's something else causing this I think it's a safe bet that they are flawed, or at least recent batches are.

Don't suppose anyone has any ideas before I attempt to swap/return this one? Wishing I had paid the extra to get a genuine one now.

Ruofdez

Post by Ruofdez » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:20 pm

Thought it made sense to start a new thread on this - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=123007&p=1757177