Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

FOR SALE Top Down Side Covers

Buying and selling Z4 related goods (private sales only, no traders)
thanatu55

Top Down Side Covers

Post by thanatu55 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:05 pm

IAmOrion wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:58 pm I've tried to help gain traction on this numerous times - no one's been willing to loan me a set for a month or 2 to take measurements and model (The reason I said about 2 months is to fit in in between life in general).

Besides, print size shouldn't matter too much, at least not for the proto-typing because you could easily print them in parts and glue together for the first test pieces just to check sizes and fitment etc.

My largest printer (printable area) is 300mm W x 300mm D x 400mm H (Creality CR-10S). One day I hope to invest in the CR10S (Pro maybe) with a 500 x 500 x 500 printable area
My bad :?

I said I'd lend mine at some point but I believe circumstances beyond my control got in the way at the time and things soon died a death on this subject as they always do. Apologies on my part.

IAmOrion

Top Down Side Covers

Post by IAmOrion » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:12 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:05 pm My bad :?

I said I'd lend mine at some point but I believe circumstances beyond my control got in the way at the time and things soon died a death on this subject as they always do. Apologies on my part.
That wasn't aimed towards to you buddy - nor was it meant to sound passive aggressive to anyone else lol - There's been a few members I've spoken to here (here and on FB) but for one reason or another nothings come to fruition yet, and since I don't have a hard top and don't want one either, I'll never personally be spending £300 on a set just to model them lol . It's just one of those things as they say :)
NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/

derin100

Top Down Side Covers

Post by derin100 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:42 am

I've got a set with my Alpina but frankly I can't see the point of why people pay such silly money for them. So, BMW make a roof that retracts and close in something like 10s and then you want to pay loads extra so that you can get out, run around the car and put these two pieces of plastic in place? :rofl:

I think it's partly that really there are so few meaningful optional extras on the E85 Z4 that some people, who feel the need to have 'one-up-manship', struggle and so are prepared to pay silly sums of money like this to fulfil their need. :lol:

If they were £20 a pair new I might consider buying some.
E85 3.0Si Silver on Black (Gone and will be missed)
E85 M Roadster Silver Grey on Black
E85 Alpina Roadster S Toledo Blue on Black

derin100

Top Down Side Covers

Post by derin100 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:49 am

That bidding history looks highly suspicious too. Unless there are genuinely two Golf Club Geralds out there who are desperate for these!
E85 3.0Si Silver on Black (Gone and will be missed)
E85 M Roadster Silver Grey on Black
E85 Alpina Roadster S Toledo Blue on Black

Filkcs

Top Down Side Covers

Post by Filkcs » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:35 am

markplant wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:06 pm
Filkcs wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:53 pm
markplant wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:42 pm I think the issue in the past having a scanner an printer large enough, it seems the printers that were affordable weren't large enough
If someone can give me dimensions I will check at work tomorrow, cheers.

Scanner, not an issue, we’ve recreated TVR chassis, surface area in the printer will be the constraint.
Where are based , incase I can find someone willing to load a set
I am in Northampton mate.
Personally I wouldn't use these but obviously if I can help members and they aren't silly money id probably have a set myself :thumbsup:
Current : 2.5si Silver roadster - Recaro CS seats, Front and rear M bumpers, 19" CSL Reps, Flat bottom steering wheel, Quad exhaust
Previous: 2.0 Black roadster
Instagram : @filkcs

Astie

Top Down Side Covers

Post by Astie » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:27 pm

Filkcs wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:35 am
markplant wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:06 pm
Filkcs wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:53 pm

If someone can give me dimensions I will check at work tomorrow, cheers.

Scanner, not an issue, we’ve recreated TVR chassis, surface area in the printer will be the constraint.
Where are based , incase I can find someone willing to load a set
Personally I wouldn't use these but obviously if I can help members and they aren't silly money id probably have a set myself :thumbsup:
Also in northampton with a tevo tornado. (print size 300x300x420) would help if needed, if not the stl would be great. I can model in cad if needed aswell.

On a side note, do you commute along the a45 in the mornings? I work in brackmills.

z4pilot

Top Down Side Covers

Post by z4pilot » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:36 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:05 pm
IAmOrion wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:58 pm I've tried to help gain traction on this numerous times - no one's been willing to loan me a set for a month or 2 to take measurements and model (The reason I said about 2 months is to fit in in between life in general).

Besides, print size shouldn't matter too much, at least not for the proto-typing because you could easily print them in parts and glue together for the first test pieces just to check sizes and fitment etc.

My largest printer (printable area) is 300mm W x 300mm D x 400mm H (Creality CR-10S). One day I hope to invest in the CR10S (Pro maybe) with a 500 x 500 x 500 printable area

I thought it was you selling them on ebay? Looks like your car?
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

Filkcs

Top Down Side Covers

Post by Filkcs » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:39 pm

Astie wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:27 pm
Filkcs wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:35 am
markplant wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:06 pm Where are based , incase I can find someone willing to load a set
Also in northampton with a tevo tornado. (print size 300x300x420) would help if needed, if not the stl would be great. I can model in cad if needed aswell.

On a side note, do you commute along the a45 in the mornings? I work in brackmills.
Hi Mate, no I work in Corby but am over in brackmills etc, but I am normally in my Audi. Rarely drive the z4 as its a toy really!! I see a lot of Z4's in Northampton but im always in my Audi haha
Current : 2.5si Silver roadster - Recaro CS seats, Front and rear M bumpers, 19" CSL Reps, Flat bottom steering wheel, Quad exhaust
Previous: 2.0 Black roadster
Instagram : @filkcs

Angelus666

Top Down Side Covers

Post by Angelus666 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:17 pm

I cannot believe someone with the ability and tooling to recreate these hasn’t done so....you can make them for £5 and turn these out for £200 a pop.

ClubberL

Top Down Side Covers

Post by ClubberL » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:59 pm

I have a set. But reluctant to lend for scanning. Someone on the forum a couple of years ago, lent his and he never got them back. The forum did a whip round to try lesser the loss
Gone 2006 Bmw Z4MR
Gone Bmw Z4 E89 2012 3.0 Highline M Sport
Gone BMW Z4 2008 E85 2.0 M Sport

IAmOrion

Top Down Side Covers

Post by IAmOrion » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:11 pm

Angelus666 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:17 pm I cannot believe someone with the ability and tooling to recreate these hasn’t done so....you can make them for £5 and turn these out for £200 a pop.
I think it's a case of those who CAN (eg can model and have a 3D Printer) don't own a set, and those that do own a set, don't have a 3D printer nor can they model them lol
ClubberL wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:59 pm I have a set. But reluctant to lend for scanning. Someone on the forum a couple of years ago, lent his and he never got them back. The forum did a whip round to try lesser the loss
This fear seems common place sadly :| (But also understandable)
NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/

Angelus666

Top Down Side Covers

Post by Angelus666 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:01 pm

Well, for someone with the kit it would be an easy £5k to be made probably from this forum!

Astie

Top Down Side Covers

Post by Astie » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:27 pm

Perhaps, someone with a set scan using a free smartphone app then I or someone else can clean up the scan (CAD/STL) and try a few prototypes?

thanatu55

Top Down Side Covers

Post by thanatu55 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:38 am

z4pilot wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:36 pm
thanatu55 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:05 pm

I thought it was you selling them on ebay? Looks like your car?
Yes they are mine on eBay, but in the past I was in favor of helping towards the 3d printing idea for the rest of the group.

derin100 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:49 am That bidding history looks highly suspicious too. Unless there are genuinely two Golf Club Geralds out there who are desperate for these!
Bidding history will have to remain suspicious then, personally I hadn't looked at it. All I know is that I've had three very interested parties from the US message me and the current leader is from the US and intent on winning the auction. However, none of those interested parties was Gerald, I don't know who Gerald is.

In all honesty I would have been happy to have received £200 for them, that was my aim and that's what I've seen them go for. I hadn't anticipated it getting to where it is now. I have to admit it's the highest I've seen them go for. However, I think I am well known enough, dealt with many people on here and have a reputation to back up the fact that I am not interested in any sort of foul play.

I put them on here to follow as I and others have followed in the past with a genuine interest in what people are prepared to pay for them. I agree it's silly money and I never used them myself, however since I'm selling up they have to go!

Edit: Out of interest, where are you seeing 'Golf club gerald'? If I go on bidding history I see two bidders, neither called 'Golf club Gerald' :?

Astie

Top Down Side Covers

Post by Astie » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:47 am

It is possible to get some high quality photos at different angles with a ruler in them for scale?