Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

FOR SALE Top Down Side Covers

Buying and selling Z4 related goods (private sales only, no traders)
MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Top Down Side Covers

Post by MACK » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:23 pm

I'm surprised no one at BMW has spotted what these fetch and put them back into production. At twice the original asking!
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Phoenixboy

Top Down Side Covers

Post by Phoenixboy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:26 pm

MACK wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:23 pm I'm surprised no one at BMW has spotted what these fetch and put them back into production. At twice the original asking!
i wonder who made them for bmw.
probably still have the tooling?
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

davros

Top Down Side Covers

Post by davros » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:36 pm

MACK wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:23 pm I'm surprised no one at BMW has spotted what these fetch and put them back into production. At twice the original asking!
Yeah, I'm not sure why BMW don't reproduce some of their NLA products like these side covers. They could make a heap of money.

Jembo recently tried to get BMW to re-launch their Aero Side Skirts and gave them a list of almost 30 interested parties. Initially BMW were interested but then the request arrived on some middle managers desk who then declined and simply said the production line had closed.

So much for customer service and a bit of a worry for anyone who damages any NLA part and then cant get a replacement :(
3.0i E85 Sterling Grey, Infinitas supercharger, Aero sills, xenons, pro hi-fi with dsp & nav, power fold mirrors. B12 kit, Eisenmann backbox, //M-Sport Seats, carbon dash, cruise and more mods in near future...... :)

thanatu55

Top Down Side Covers

Post by thanatu55 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:19 pm

Astie wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:47 am It is possible to get some high quality photos at different angles with a ruler in them for scale?
I don't know how useful these will be to you but I tried. I can't find a ruler but I have a tape measure.

ht[img]tps://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/5063/lnv2pC.jpg[/img]

Astie

Top Down Side Covers

Post by Astie » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:07 pm

Thanks! I'm going to give it a go. I'll submit updates when I get some progress.

IAmOrion

Top Down Side Covers

Post by IAmOrion » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:10 pm

Astie wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:07 pm Thanks! I'm going to give it a go. I'll submit updates when I get some progress.
I look forward to seeing what you do! Can I make a suggestion that also model a split set - eg in 2 halves - since at 520mm that's larger than almost all home printers, but at least split in half it gives many people the chance to print (It would fit on my CR10-S in 2 pieces)
NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/

Papa_Zee

Top Down Side Covers

Post by Papa_Zee » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:00 pm

derin100 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:42 am I've got a set with my Alpina but frankly I can't see the point of why people pay such silly money for them. So, BMW make a roof that retracts and close in something like 10s and then you want to pay loads extra so that you can get out, run around the car and put these two pieces of plastic in place? :rofl:

I think it's partly that really there are so few meaningful optional extras on the E85 Z4 that some people, who feel the need to have 'one-up-manship', struggle and so are prepared to pay silly sums of money like this to fulfil their need. :lol:

If they were £20 a pair new I might consider buying some.
...For the above reason, I stopped looking for these!

Fantastically stated :thumbsup:
E89 35is

rosskins

Top Down Side Covers

Post by rosskins » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:17 pm

Papa_Zee wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:00 pm Fantastically stated
Agree, i would like these but as of £265 as of now (1 day and 16 hours for auction end), the money should be going on Z elsewhere.
Current: F-Type AWD V6 & M135i
Before: ZR3.0si, 525d, 325ti, 120d, A3-2.0DSG, 323T4x4, MX3-V6, 2CV, MetroVP, Mini850
Zed was fitted with: None run flats, Stubby, Cruise, Intravee, DrilledFogs, WiredCam & 326s

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Top Down Side Covers

Post by john-e89 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:14 am

A few tanks of fuel or a good night out and you’d have these for the life of Zed ownership. They do finish the car off very nicely and safe money....wise up doubters.... :wink:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Top Down Side Covers

Post by ben g » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:38 am

john-e89 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:14 am A few tanks of fuel or a good night out and you’d have these for the life of Zed ownership. They do finish the car off very nicely and safe money....wise up doubters.... :wink:
Finish the car off? Yes, I guess, if you want to make it more impractical :lol: no one in their right mind would leave them on, because they would be gone before you knew it.

I understand people like to have their car looking it's best, but these things don't make sense. Some say it reduces the wind entering the interior when driving. I've had my roof down twice this week on the work commute, at motorway speeds, over flyovers, which are always windy. No problems at all.

Would I buy a set if they were 20 quid? Possibly, just because it's cheap enough to not worry about. I bought a set for 60 quid once, put them on for photos and then chucked them in the garage and never used them until I sold them. My only regret is not keeping them longer to make a huge profit :lol:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Top Down Side Covers

Post by MACK » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:21 am

They do look good on the car, never thought about the theft aspect till Ben mentioned it, I guess the same applies to the wind deflector too. Personally I never leave the roof down in public and because I have the roof up and down so frequently I couldn't live with having to constantly fit/remove these. I'd also worry about forgetting to remove them and putting the roof up!
I just wish BMW had engineered these to be standard feature that was motorized in some way, so it folded out of harms way when the roof was going up/down and you didn't have to mess around installing/uninstalling them.
Last edited by MACK on Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Top Down Side Covers

Post by Ewazix » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:08 am

A recent thread on Zpost mentions a member paying $450 USD for a set last month! :o

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Z4-Softtop ... Sw99tcGFoy
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Top Down Side Covers

Post by john-e89 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:38 pm

ben g wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:38 am
john-e89 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:14 am A few tanks of fuel or a good night out and you’d have these for the life of Zed ownership. They do finish the car off very nicely and safe money....wise up doubters.... :wink:
Finish the car off? Yes, I guess, if you want to make it more impractical :lol: no one in their right mind would leave them on, because they would be gone before you knew it.

I understand people like to have their car looking it's best, but these things don't make sense. Some say it reduces the wind entering the interior when driving. I've had my roof down twice this week on the work commute, at motorway speeds, over flyovers, which are always windy. No problems at all.

Would I buy a set if they were 20 quid? Possibly, just because it's cheap enough to not worry about. I bought a set for 60 quid once, put them on for photos and then chucked them in the garage and never used them until I sold them. My only regret is not keeping them longer to make a huge profit :lol:
Ah but we all need bringing down to earth a bit....what with silly roof motors, lekky windows, air con etc...reminds one of days gone by having to jump out and take them off in the rain..... :P
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

thanatu55

Top Down Side Covers

Post by thanatu55 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:01 pm

MACK wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:21 am They do look good on the car, never thought about the theft aspect till Ben mentioned it, I guess the same applies to the wind deflector too. Personally I never leave the roof down in public and because I have the roof up and down so frequently I couldn't live with having to constantly fit/remove these. I'd also worry about forgetting to remove them and putting the roof up!
I just wish BMW had engineered these to be standard feature that was motorized in some way, so it folded out of harms way when the roof was going up/down and you didn't have to mess around installing/uninstalling them.
I've done that before, sat at the lights and thought I'd be clever and put the roof up whilst they're on red. Then it dawned on me, NOOOO!! Off they popped on either side. No damage, just slightly embarrassing having to get out and pick them back up, the driver behind getting out as well to help, further compounding my embarrassment as I had to look an actual human in the face and apologise. By which time the lights are now on green and theres a back load of traffic honking their horns in anger. :roll:

Papa_Zee

Top Down Side Covers

Post by Papa_Zee » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:24 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:01 pm
MACK wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:21 am They do look good on the car, never thought about the theft aspect till Ben mentioned it, I guess the same applies to the wind deflector too. Personally I never leave the roof down in public and because I have the roof up and down so frequently I couldn't live with having to constantly fit/remove these. I'd also worry about forgetting to remove them and putting the roof up!
I've done that before, sat at the lights and thought I'd be clever and put the roof up whilst they're on red. Then it dawned on me, NOOOO!! Off they popped on either side. No damage, just slightly embarrassing having to get out and pick them back up, the driver behind getting out as well to help, further compounding my embarrassment as I had to look an actual human in the face and apologise. By which time the lights are now on green and theres a back load of traffic honking their horns in anger. :roll:
Hahaha good one... :rofl:
E89 35is