Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

NO LONGER WANTED Aero side skirts?

Buying and selling Z4 related goods (private sales only, no traders)
JamieZ4C

Aero side skirts?

Post by JamieZ4C » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:53 pm

Looney wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:40 pm any update from BMW this is circa 10,000 worth of business to turn on an old machine and fabricate more...

Edit: sorry, just realised I misunderstood what you were saying! Yes, 25 x 400 = 10000. I wonder at what point they deem it worthwhile.
Last edited by JamieZ4C on Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davros

Aero side skirts?

Post by davros » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:05 pm

PRMG wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:31 pm
davros wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:17 am I've just updated my 1st post with a list of members who've expressed an interest in the aero skirts. Please let me know if I've missed anyone.
Hopefully this will make it easier for BMW Germany to gauge interest if they decide to look at this thread Jembo passed on to them :thumbsup: .
Add me to the list please!
Added to the list 👍
3.0i E85 Sterling Grey, Infinitas supercharger, Aero sills, xenons, pro hi-fi with dsp & nav, power fold mirrors. B12 kit, Eisenmann backbox, //M-Sport Seats, carbon dash, cruise and more mods in near future...... :)

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Aero side skirts?

Post by Jembo » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:04 pm

The matters still being considered, as had a note from Jay Friday he’d been following up with the local French dealer who in turn needed to speak to Germany.

Please just be patient, it hasn’t been forgotten about.
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

davros

Aero side skirts?

Post by davros » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:31 pm

Jembo wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:04 pm The matters still being considered, as had a note from Jay Friday he’d been following up with the local French dealer who in turn needed to speak to Germany.

Please just be patient, it hasn’t been forgotten about.
Thanks for the update Jembo. It’s nice to know BMW Germany are still considering it :thumbsup:
3.0i E85 Sterling Grey, Infinitas supercharger, Aero sills, xenons, pro hi-fi with dsp & nav, power fold mirrors. B12 kit, Eisenmann backbox, //M-Sport Seats, carbon dash, cruise and more mods in near future...... :)

Babw

Aero side skirts?

Post by Babw » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:52 pm

Going to get a colour change respray on my M roadster once these are sourced + fitted. Fingers and toes crossed!

fryh1n

Aero side skirts?

Post by fryh1n » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:01 am

Thanks for all the hardwork!!!
AW 2007 Z4MC

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Aero side skirts?

Post by Jembo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:34 pm

Morning, feedback from Germany received today, with huge thanks to Jay for continuing to push this.

He spoke to the dealer on Monday and they updated the data base to 30 pairs to get some traction. On Wednesday Jay met up with him again to see if we can get someone on the phone and we were told that they are working on it. The same night, Germany finally came back and the PM called Jay personally with the following news.

‘I'm afraid to tell you that, they declined our order with the following response;

"The unit amount/part was actually accepted initially and once it started moving up the chain for pricing/production was when things went sour. They are declining because the production line for this series vehicles has been shutdown".

Jay believes this is the production line in the US that they are referring to for the E85 series. We wish we had better news for you, but we’re afraid not.
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

davros

Aero side skirts?

Post by davros » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:11 pm

Morning Jembo, many thanks for the update and all the hard work you & Jay have put into this. It’s Very sad news and extremely disappointing especially for you n Jay to get so close but finally so far from getting another run of aero skirts manufactured.

I always expected some red tape or ‘middle manager’ somewhere would put stop to our request. So I guess it’s not a big surprise.

Obviously BMW don’t share the same love we do for the E85 & E86 or any other their other production cars and they lose interest once the last one has been sold. I still think it’s ridiculous that BMW were still selling the E85 & E86 range in early 2009 and already large numbers of parts for them are obsolete.

Please could you ask Jay to pass on my thanks to the BMW dealer in France. I tried the majority of dealers in the UK and none of them provided similar help.

Thanks again Jembo for all your help and effort with this. I know we all appreciate it :thumbsup:

paulc_bkk

Aero side skirts?

Post by paulc_bkk » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:05 pm

Sucks to read the bad news in this post..... just this morning I placed an order and paid for a pair of aero skirts at my nearest BMW dealer on the edge of Bangkok

I knew they wouldn’t be in stock here in Thailand, but they seemed confident they can get a pair - probably some sitting on a shelf somewhere in a warehouse in Malaysia - which is where BMW seems to stockpile parts in Asia

What happens if a car has them and is in an accident that requires a new one?

Trav

Aero side skirts?

Post by Trav » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:24 pm

I think everyone has lurked on this thread even if they have not committed to initially wanting a set. Well done for all the effort. I wonder if one of the companies that produce skirts (reigrr, modelodrive) etc would be interested. No one seems to want anything these kit folk make. I wonder if they could be persuaded to make something people want. After all they cannot now be accused of interlectual property theft etc as BMW now say they wont do them. Maybe they are also just getting rid of old stock though.Well done again for a valiant effort.
Z4MR A.W.

davros

Aero side skirts?

Post by davros » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:26 pm

paulc_bkk wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:05 pm What happens if a car has them and is in an accident that requires a new one?
Yes exactly :thumbsup: I wrote to BMW UK customer service back in December and asked the very same question. In theory, if the aero skirt was not repairable would the insurance company ‘write’ the car off?

BMW said they had logged my enquiry and suggested I speak to the BMW owners club for help :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yorkie Z

Aero side skirts?

Post by Yorkie Z » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:36 pm

This means my Aero’s must be worth a fortune now :D

Sorry the group buy didn’t work out guys.
A Dirty M///

AngryZed

Aero side skirts?

Post by AngryZed » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:00 pm

davros wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:11 pm Morning Jembo, many thanks for the update and all the hard work you & Jay have put into this. It’s Very sad news and extremely disappointing especially for you n Jay to get so close but finally so far from getting another run of aero skirts manufactured.

I always expected some red tape or ‘middle manager’ somewhere would put stop to our request. So I guess it’s not a big surprise.

Obviously BMW don’t share the same love we do for the E85 & E86 or any other their other production cars and they lose interest once the last one has been sold. I still think it’s ridiculous that BMW were still selling the E85 & E86 range in early 2009 and already large numbers of parts for them are obsolete.

Please could you ask Jay to pass on my thanks to the BMW dealer in France. I tried the majority of dealers in the UK and none of them provided similar help.

Thanks again Jembo for all your help and effort with this. I know we all appreciate it :thumbsup:
Thanks Davros and everyone for the comments, it certainly was close at some point, Jembo and I really tried. I thanked BMW of France and the parts manager for his efforts and how much this club/forum appreciated his dedication......Jay
2005 E85 3.0i 6sp Manual Black USA spec.
2008 Cbr 600-RR - Track use - back home
1994 Cbr 600 F2 - Sold

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Aero side skirts?

Post by MrPT » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:17 am

Thanks both for your efforts! Part of me (my wallet) is relieved...
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Sgr74

Aero side skirts?

Post by Sgr74 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:39 am

I’ve been wondering how hard it would be to modify my existing skirts. It may be time to experiment a bit.
Black 2.5 Roadie.