My Z4C Journey

Post your Z4 pictures! See sticky post at the top for details of the photo competition.
User avatar
idej_jedi
Member
Member
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:40 pm

My Z4C Journey

Post by idej_jedi » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:32 pm

kis wrote:Ahh the front bumper project reveal! I'd go for an aero front bumper, but mines a pre so makes sense! Adds that M stance whilst not being a M and 'cheating'. Was potentially going for a M but it all fell through. I figured it was for the best as I like (to use when necessary) the fog lights. Are you doing the arch reflector delete you spoke about on another post? Look forward to more pics/updates! :thumbsup:
Was told today that the filler for the reflector would get expensive...not sure its worth it?!? They did say I could spray it but it would still have the edge so would look weird. Going to speak to another sprayer and was thinking maybe they can fill the gaps around the reflector rather than pulling it out and fill the whole thing...which should be cheaper!
BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si (Instagram: @idej_z4)

Image

Online
User avatar
mr wilks
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 17272
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:02 pm
Location: Lancs or Normandy , i don't mind which

My Z4C Journey

Post by mr wilks » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:46 pm

idej_jedi wrote:
bmwaddict wrote:I like the mods you've done, car is looking good!
Can I ask the csl reps spec? Offset etc
I'm not expert in this area...here are the alloys I've got, they are 19 x 8.0 on the front and 19 x 9.0 on the rear. Tyre sizes are as follows.

Front - 235/35..although you should get 225 if you don't want arch rub - found this out from a forum member after I'd bought them.

Rear - 255/30 - they're a bit to low on the profile. Should have gone 40 all round.

Hope that helps!
Wouldn't go to 40 profile all round on those rim numbers :? fronts 225 35 / rears 255 35 should work fine on 8j + 9j rims with lowered suspension depending on offsets of course , , , are yours the RIVA DTMs ?
My 11 x Z4s

E86
E85
Grey///MR
3.0Si E85
E89 23i
3.0Si E85
E86
3.0Si E85
Imola///MR
35i Msport 6spd :driving:
E86 garaged for now
Image



https://www.instagram.com/andybmwheels/

User avatar
idej_jedi
Member
Member
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:40 pm

My Z4C Journey

Post by idej_jedi » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:51 pm

mr wilks wrote:
idej_jedi wrote:
bmwaddict wrote:I like the mods you've done, car is looking good!
Can I ask the csl reps spec? Offset etc
I'm not expert in this area...here are the alloys I've got, they are 19 x 8.0 on the front and 19 x 9.0 on the rear. Tyre sizes are as follows.

Front - 235/35..although you should get 225 if you don't want arch rub - found this out from a forum member after I'd bought them.

Rear - 255/30 - they're a bit to low on the profile. Should have gone 40 all round.

Hope that helps!
Wouldn't go to 40 profile all round on those rim numbers :? fronts 225 35 / rears 255 35 should work fine on 8j + 9j rims with lowered suspension depending on offsets of course , , , are yours the RIVA DTMs ?
They are RIVA DTMs Andy...have I gone the wrong way on the profile? This wheel shizzle is hard work! I was told by a friend that 40 profile was safer for the rims...although maybe that didn't factor in the lowering? Either way, next set of tyres will be 225s ;)
BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si (Instagram: @idej_z4)

Image

User avatar
kis
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1693
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:33 pm
Location: Surrey / West Sussex Boarder

My Z4C Journey

Post by kis » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:49 am

idej_jedi wrote: Was told today that the filler for the reflector would get expensive...not sure its worth it?!? They did say I could spray it but it would still have the edge so would look weird. Going to speak to another sprayer and was thinking maybe they can fill the gaps around the reflector rather than pulling it out and fill the whole thing...which should be cheaper!
No way. It shouldn't be expensive for a tiny bit of filler.
I wouldn't filler around it without taking it off, as it won't have bonded properly and would probably be very susceptible to cracking, along the 'outline' of the reflector. Not certain of this mind, but wouldn't want to run the risk? I wouldn't bother with the filler unless you're getting it sprayed anyway. Probably work out expensive just for reflector delete! BUT if you are, then definitely get a second or even third opinion and quote.

Have a look at youtube? It's a fairly simple process like this one. If you're getting it sprayed anyway, then why not have a stab at it? :)
Rare '15 Plate E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 320ci, E46 M3, E90 (x2)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71
7 Series - E32

User avatar
idej_jedi
Member
Member
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:40 pm

My Z4C Journey

Post by idej_jedi » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:49 am

kis wrote:
idej_jedi wrote: Was told today that the filler for the reflector would get expensive...not sure its worth it?!? They did say I could spray it but it would still have the edge so would look weird. Going to speak to another sprayer and was thinking maybe they can fill the gaps around the reflector rather than pulling it out and fill the whole thing...which should be cheaper!
No way. It shouldn't be expensive for a tiny bit of filler.
I wouldn't filler around it without taking it off, as it won't have bonded properly and would probably be very susceptible to cracking, along the 'outline' of the reflector. Not certain of this mind, but wouldn't want to run the risk? I wouldn't bother with the filler unless you're getting it sprayed anyway. Probably work out expensive just for reflector delete! BUT if you are, then definitely get a second or even third opinion and quote.

Have a look at youtube? It's a fairly simple process like this one. If you're getting it sprayed anyway, then why not have a stab at it? :)
Thanks for the heads up, and the link to the video! I am getting it fully resprayed as its had some work done on a repair and the respray job was very poor (its peeling where the guy did it). I'll get some more quotes before I settle. :)
BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si (Instagram: @idej_z4)

Image

User avatar
idej_jedi
Member
Member
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:40 pm

My Z4C Journey

Post by idej_jedi » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:43 pm

idej_jedi wrote:Finally got my hands on some B Pillar Trims thanks to the forum member Rassi. They've come all the way from Belgium.

Unfortunately they're too light for my Z (which I knew before I bought them) so I'm going to try and dye them...wish me luck!

Here is the before shot:

IMG_2994.JPG
And here they are after a couple of rounds of dye...not come out too bad at all:
IMG_3151.JPG
IMG_3151.JPG (36.27 KiB) Viewed 791 times
BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si (Instagram: @idej_z4)

Image

User avatar
idej_jedi
Member
Member
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:40 pm

My Z4C Journey

Post by idej_jedi » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Finally got around to doing the dash carbon fibre. I went for the dark grey as I think black is a bit too dark. God knows how I'm going to do the trim around the gear stick. I started following the guide and couldn't get past step one! I'm hoping to find a forum member I can bribe / pay / steal who has done it before to give me a hand!

Here are the dash pieces:
IMG_3145.JPG
IMG_3145.JPG (66.24 KiB) Viewed 790 times
IMG_3144.JPG
IMG_3144.JPG (52.81 KiB) Viewed 790 times
BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si (Instagram: @idej_z4)

Image

User avatar
tominator
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:04 am

My Z4C Journey

Post by tominator » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:23 pm

Carbon fibre on the dash looks great :thumbsup:

User avatar
idej_jedi
Member
Member
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:40 pm

My Z4C Journey

Post by idej_jedi » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:52 pm

Today I fitted the Storm Motorworks V4 Weighted Short Throw Shift Knob and V4 Handbrake Handle - both with the leather trim. The weight and look of them is awesome and they feel great...but...the leather slides around a bit so I'm considering sliding a bit of glue down to get it to stay. Other than that they're a great mod if a little pricey.
IMG_3175.JPG
IMG_3175.JPG (39.19 KiB) Viewed 748 times
IMG_3177.JPG
IMG_3177.JPG (36.34 KiB) Viewed 748 times
IMG_3179.JPG
IMG_3179.JPG (35.6 KiB) Viewed 748 times
BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si (Instagram: @idej_z4)

Image

User avatar
idej_jedi
Member
Member
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:40 pm

My Z4C Journey

Post by idej_jedi » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:36 pm

As most of the grunt work is finished on 'Project Front Bumper' I thought I'd do a write up and give an update.

I started with the grilles. The mesh pieces I bought to replace it were designed to sit over the existing slats. This wasn't the look I wanted so decided to see if I could remove the slats but still keep the frame of the kidney grilles. Out came the hacksaw and after a couple of hours careful sawing I had removed the slats and was able to slot the mesh grilles around the silver frame. They went back in nice and easy and overall I was very happy with the result. I've still got a bit of tweaking to do to get them to fit absolutely perfectly but for now they're good enough:

Image
Image
Image

Next it was onto the lower grille...to do this I needed to remove the front bumper. I followed the guides from the forum and had it done in no time - it’s worth mentioning that the guide I used didn't mention disconnection the washer jets or the fog lights. The fog lights are easy, just a simple clip, but I didn’t want mesh with the washer jets, but thankfully there was enough give to pull the bumper out far enough to do what I wanted:

Image

I've replaced a lower plastic grille on a Corsa before, so I assumed it would be similar...take the bumper off, unclip the plastic and bobs your trouser leg. Sadly, it wasn't that simple! The lower grille piece on a 3.0si also forms part of the skid plate (basically it’s all one piece) and the fog lights obstruct you removing the plastic grille:

Image
Image

Thankfully I already had the replacement covers for the fog lights which I'm getting sprayed as part of this project, so it was three screws and away they go. Next, what to do with the grille...out came the hacksaw again and after an hour of 'hacking' I managed to remove the central part of the grille. Unfortunately, I couldn't do the left and right solid pieces (I wanted a clear gap in the lower section) as the mesh piece I was installing screwed into the front of the grille at the left and right hand side.

Hacking done, I clipped the grille piece back in and began retracing my steps. Everything was going well...I even managed to line the bonnet up with the bumper pretty much dead on, until it came to the last piece the plastic rivets for the arch lining:

Image

There are 8 of these to go in, and nowhere does it explain in the bumper removal guide when you follow the steps backwards you'll have any issues. I spent over 1 hour trying to get these little bits of plastic to go back in - I even recruited my neighbour to try and help. I genuinely thought I was being an idiot. So, when all hope was gone, I called on the forum. Thankfully some kind sole pointed me in the direction of another thread on another forum and alerted me to the fact they are 'one time use only' (cheers BMW). So, I hopped in the Mr’s motor and off to Halfords to get some new ones. They fit perfectly, and weirdly, can be used as many times as I want!

Image

With everything back together I set about fixing the grille. Four screws into the plastic and it was done. I really wanted it to sit flush at the back of the grille area, but as the piece was designed to go over the existing plastic (although god knows how with how far the lip comes out on the standard si bumper) it flexes to curve towards the front of bumper - that is the only thing I don't like about the new mesh grille - it curves towards the front of the lower lip. Other than that though I'm really happy. The Mr’s says it makes it look more modern and aggressive, so if she says that (and she really has very little interest in cars) then it must at least look better.

Now I just have to wait several weeks to get it resprayed (along with the foglight covers) and then fit the black rubber splitter.

Here is the before and after from the front:

Image
Image

And a before and after from distance to see the complete effect:

Image
Image
BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si (Instagram: @idej_z4)

Image

User avatar
kis
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1693
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:33 pm
Location: Surrey / West Sussex Boarder

My Z4C Journey

Post by kis » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:46 pm

Thanks for the heads up about the front bumper, I've got an issue with an existing DLR which I need to sort, then again as it's already been visited before maybe the re-usable screws have been used!

Nice update and I think I quite like the look of the grille without the fog lights, gives it a more aggressive look? Not sure about the kidney's but it's your baby and definitely unique! Only seen it before on a coupe that was being discussed in the market watch section I think :thumbsup:
Rare '15 Plate E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 320ci, E46 M3, E90 (x2)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71
7 Series - E32

User avatar
idej_jedi
Member
Member
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:40 pm

My Z4C Journey

Post by idej_jedi » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:39 pm

kis wrote:Thanks for the heads up about the front bumper, I've got an issue with an existing DLR which I need to sort, then again as it's already been visited before maybe the re-usable screws have been used!

Nice update and I think I quite like the look of the grille without the fog lights, gives it a more aggressive look? Not sure about the kidney's but it's your baby and definitely unique! Only seen it before on a coupe that was being discussed in the market watch section I think :thumbsup:
I had a feeling the kidney grilles would split opinion. Some people would quite rightly say I've changed one of the most quint essential bits of a BMW - great things is they're easy to change back.

For now though I'm just happy it looks unique, without modding to the point of it looking ridiculous. I'm trying to keep it tasteful. Can't wait to get it sprayed now!
BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si (Instagram: @idej_z4)

Image

Online
bobo075
Member
Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:18 pm

My Z4C Journey

Post by bobo075 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:46 pm

nice job on your car.... :D

User avatar
idej_jedi
Member
Member
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:40 pm

My Z4C Journey

Post by idej_jedi » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:30 pm

Front bumper now completed. I've had a full respray that includes the fog light covers and the side reflectors. Not 100% sure about the side reflectors, but from a distance it at least makes the bumper look like one piece. Getting them filled in would have been extra ££££ so went for the cheaper option. Also fitted a cheap rubber splitter...may have to do some drilling to fix it on, but we'll see how we go with the sticky and a bit of glue.

Overall though I'm pretty chuffed. It's no ///M bumper, but it is still the si bumper...but revamped to look a bit meaner without going to extremes.
IMG_3695.JPG
IMG_3695.JPG (149.67 KiB) Viewed 560 times
IMG_3700.JPG
IMG_3700.JPG (142.37 KiB) Viewed 560 times
IMG_3705.JPG
IMG_3705.JPG (133.45 KiB) Viewed 560 times
Attachments
IMG_3699.JPG
IMG_3699.JPG (121.27 KiB) Viewed 560 times
BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si (Instagram: @idej_z4)

Image

the stripler
Member
Member
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:18 pm

My Z4C Journey

Post by the stripler » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:16 pm

:thumbsup:
BMW Z4 2.5 Si in Hellrot, SEAT Exeo 170ST, Honda Fireblade 929, Triumph Tiger XRX800
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Phoenixboy and 7 guests