Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Winter Project - That got out of Hand!

Post your Z4 pictures! See sticky post at the top for details of the photo competition.
bony_13

Re: My Winter Project - That got out of Hand!

Post by bony_13 » Wed May 06, 2015 8:10 am

Incredible work john :thumbsup: I would love to build my skills up to your level (and one day own a garage that is actually big enough to put a car in!!).

Can I ask how you have installed the seats? i.e. are they electrically operated & heated or did you get manual ones and 'just' bolt them in? I like the RX8 and S2000 seats and they are much better value than M Sport seats.

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Wed May 06, 2015 8:29 am

Looking forward to seeing your Zed at the National.

Hand stitching eh - amazing. :o

Love those seats - they look more comfortable than the sports seats.

Something very different - quality decisions and execution - exciting post! :thumbsup:

See you at the National - think I'll be able to pick you out . . . . :lol:

:driving: :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

john-z4

Post by john-z4 » Wed May 06, 2015 12:48 pm

bony_13 wrote:Incredible work john :thumbsup: I would love to build my skills up to your level (and one day own a garage that is actually big enough to put a car in!!).

Can I ask how you have installed the seats? i.e. are they electrically operated & heated or did you get manual ones and 'just' bolt them in? I like the RX8 and S2000 seats and they are much better value than M Sport seats.
Many thanks for your comments. When I say built in the garage, to be honest, its an oversized shed (but built that too!).

The seats weren't too bad to install. The standard Mazda runners are slightly narrower than then BM ones. To get round this, just welded a piece of box section front & rear and put new tabs on to bolt seats back to the floor. The drivers seat is electric, standard Mazda fitment for leather. Both seats were heated but I took the heating pads out when I re-stitched them, as I don't have heated seats anyway, & swopped the BMW passenger occupancy sensor mat over at the same time.

Yeah, they are much better value than the M-Sports seats. Got mine off ebay, £80, the bloke ended up being a neighbour down the road. I think the S2000 seats aren't as tall on the backs, pictures I've seen I think they're lower in the car. So I thought I'd try the Mazda ones.
2.5i Roadster, Pearl Sunburst Orange, Angel Eyes, M Bumper, M steering wheel, 19" AVA Memphis alloys, Eibachs , 3.0i Brakes, Orange Calipers, Quad exhaust, Custom rear bumper, Rx8 seats, Facelift rear lights, + More. All mods homemade.

john-z4

Post by john-z4 » Wed May 06, 2015 12:50 pm

paulgs1000 wrote:Looking forward to seeing your Zed at the National.

Hand stitching eh - amazing. :o

Love those seats - they look more comfortable than the sports seats.

Something very different - quality decisions and execution - exciting post! :thumbsup:

See you at the National - think I'll be able to pick you out . . . . :lol:

:driving: :thumbsup:
Cheers for comments. Yeah going to the National, so see you there. Don't know about the sports seats, but nicer than the standard seats I had.
2.5i Roadster, Pearl Sunburst Orange, Angel Eyes, M Bumper, M steering wheel, 19" AVA Memphis alloys, Eibachs , 3.0i Brakes, Orange Calipers, Quad exhaust, Custom rear bumper, Rx8 seats, Facelift rear lights, + More. All mods homemade.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Wed May 06, 2015 5:03 pm

WOW :o I'm speechless :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Wed May 06, 2015 5:12 pm

That's a brilliant job :thumbsup:

I used to do a bit of spraying in the past but have given up due to f#$$€g flies and dust landing on the fresh paint..basically I needed a proper spray booth, how did you manage to prevent that sort of contamination ?

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Wed May 06, 2015 5:28 pm

If you ever fancied doing another rear bumper, and to keep it a bit different
Maybe a twin pipe Center exit like on some of the f-type jags. Name a price could be interested. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

NeilP

Post by NeilP » Wed May 06, 2015 5:36 pm

This is stunning.

I'm also in agreement with everyone else who loves the exhaust.

andy.c

Post by andy.c » Wed May 06, 2015 5:58 pm

That is some quality work to do in a shed :thumbsup:

john-z4

Post by john-z4 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:32 pm

fixit man wrote:That's a brilliant job :thumbsup:

I used to do a bit of spraying in the past but have given up due to f#$$€g flies and dust landing on the fresh paint..basically I needed a proper spray booth, how did you manage to prevent that sort of contamination ?
Yeah, know what you mean, contaminations a problem. There is a small fly in the paint somewhere and some dust contamination, but it was given a quick flattening down which got rid of most of it, but ideally I'd like to flatten it back properly and possibly re-lacquer. Might do this some time in future. I'v got an old car radiator fan strapped to a hole in the wall, helps keep the dust down a bit!

markplant wrote:If you ever fancied doing another rear bumper, and to keep it a bit different
Maybe a twin pipe Center exit like on some of the f-type jags. Name a price could be interested. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I did consider doing twin center pipes (f-type style) this would be easier on a 2.0l, as it only has a single pipe back-box. Also think you'd need at least 3.5" tail pipes to get the look right. but anythings possible. :thumbsup:

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Thu May 07, 2015 12:07 am

Love the look of this, and added you for the National list....look forward to seeing it in the flesh :thumbsup:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:56 pm

saw this at Zedfest, looked absolutely stunning, great example of a Z :D

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:33 am

:o
Wow buddy truly wow

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:14 am

JINGLE wrote:saw this at Zedfest, looked absolutely stunning, great example of a Z :D
Very true.....and having seen this car back when it was silver,and in great condition,itsa very brave but excellent transformation.
Look forward to seeing it again at the next National hopefully,John :thumbsup:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

k31ron

Post by k31ron » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:48 pm

Bit of a resurrection... But great job John and love the seats.. Do they need much welding? Happy to have ago at most mods but never used a welder, are ther other options to make them fit?