Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Alpina Roadster S (supercharger conversion @ ESS)

Post your Z4 pictures! See sticky post at the top for details of the photo competition.
Curtis

Re: My Alpina Roadster S (supercharger conversion @ ESS)

Post by Curtis » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:20 pm

Brilliant!!! This is what I've been waiting for! Are you just getting a S/C kit fitted or are you having the engine internals revamped at the same time? I hope this works out well, after a few years of ownership I've been itching to get more power from the Alpina but it was beginning to look like an engine swap was the only solution. I'm gonna blow the cobwebs off my cheque book in anticipation!! :driving:

FemmeT

Post by FemmeT » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:26 pm

Hi Brad,

I'm just doing their stage 2 which is supercharger + intercooler with no changes to the engine's internals. According to Asbjorn the TS2+ level with forced induction camshafts wouldn't make much sense on the Alpina engine. Stage 3 with camshafts and custom made lowered compression pistons runs about twice the price of a TS2. The only problem is that they have no idea how strong the Alpina components are, but since it's Alpina they should be very good.

My engine has run 26,000 miles and should be in good condition.

If you are serious about supercharging your car I think this is the time to contact ESS :) .
Alpina Roadster S #46
Drexler LSD, Mov'it brakes, Reiger dampers, Recaro seats, quad exhaust and a thousand and one other mods

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:35 pm

I will, I just didn't want to be the first to do it and have to pay all those development and fabrication charges! :wink: I gave Hans a copy of my MAP a few months ago when he was over here so I knew he was planning something. I think I'll contact him when your done and get him to send me a duplicate kit, could be a fun winter project. Can't wait to hear the results, what kind of power are you expecting?

FemmeT

Post by FemmeT » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:44 pm

Asbjorn believes he can get it over 400HP with a conservative 6-7PSI boost. I just have to wait and see. I would be satisfied with 911 GT3 power (415-420HP).
Alpina Roadster S #46
Drexler LSD, Mov'it brakes, Reiger dampers, Recaro seats, quad exhaust and a thousand and one other mods

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:50 pm

That sounds about right, I'd be happy with 400 but anything more is a bonus and you can always increase the boost in the future if you get bored! It would be nice to outdrag the old farts in their GT3's at the track too!

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:04 pm

I think this thread is one of the most interesting and that Z4 is one of the nicest on this forum (it would look better if it was a coupe mind! :P ). :thumbsup:

If I keep my Z4 then I am thinking of the ESS route. There is a dealer not far from me that fits the kits. :D
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:12 pm

Breaker wrote:If I keep my Z4 then I am thinking of the ESS route. There is a dealer not far from me that fits the kits. :D
Why??? It won't make any "real world" difference :poke: :poke:
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Aebous » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:27 pm

ovrkll wrote:
Breaker wrote:If I keep my Z4 then I am thinking of the ESS route. There is a dealer not far from me that fits the kits. :D

LOL :fuelfire:
'03 Z4 3.0i manual transmission w/ sports package, interior xenons, wind deflector, Michelin Sport PS3's, cheap big brake upgrade, headlights with black internals and clear lenses, Alutech braces inc horizontal strut bar.
ZEEEE 4

GP20

Post by GP20 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:02 am

ovrkll wrote:
ROTFLMFAO-PWNED!!!
'08 BMW Z4///MC 18" & 19" BBS RGR's|Michelin PSS'|TCK DA's 450/500|OEM CF spoiler|Aero side-skirts|ZHP gear-knob|OEM STB|
'06 BMW Z4///MR (sold)
'04 BMW Z4 3.0i 6sp SMG (lemon)
'03 BMW Z4 2.5i non-sport (sold)

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:04 am

GP20 wrote:
ovrkll wrote:
ROTFLMFAO-PWNED!!!
:rofl: I can just imagine you guys waiting to come back with that one for ages now!! :thumbsup:

True, but it will be cheaper to do than the deal I was offered on an M, it will sound awesome (I miss the supercharger sound of my JCW MINI), and, given the right straight dual track, I can wave as I go past the M guys!
Oh, and the road tax stays the same and the insurance and servicing costs are cheaper tan an M!! :fuelfire: :poke: :thumbsup:

Mind you, I have my eyes on something else at the moment so it may all change yet! :wink:
Last edited by Breaker on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:17 am

By the way, if anyone is thinking of this the company is http://www.simpsonmotorsport.com
This is the Email I got back from them:

"Thanks for the enquiry.

Yes we are the UK agents for ESS supercharger products.

The costs for the TS kits are as follows -

The TS1 kit costs £3250 plus vat and fitting takes approx 8 hours.

The TS2 kit costs £4250 plus vat and fitting typically takes 12-14 hours.

We simply charge our normal workshop rate for fitting the conversions and we charge £50 per hour plus vat so this should give you an idea of total cost.

I hope this is of help, please feel free to call if you require further info.

Thanks

Anthony"

Works out around £4,300 all in for the TS1 kit.
Now on their website it say "No superchargers for the Z4 at the moment" but phone them as they do do it.
This was an older SE Z4: http://www.simpsonmotorsport.com/defaul ... percharged

Interestingly they have worked on an Alpina Roadster also: http://www.simpsonmotorsport.com/defaul ... e=Projects

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:18 pm

:D Yeh that's mine!

The info hasn't been updated for 18 months though so a lot has changed since then. I might rewrite it next week when I'm over there. For those of you who don't already know I'm over at Simpsons every week pretending to work!

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:50 pm

Breaker, did you see the problems Graeme had trying to sell his ESS'd 3.0 he ended up having to split it to sell it, I would suspect that you would be the same. Don't think it is a recommended action at the current time.

What else have you seen?