Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Alpina Roadster S (supercharger conversion @ ESS)

Post your Z4 pictures! See sticky post at the top for details of the photo competition.
pablo

Re: My Alpina Roadster S (supercharger conversion @ ESS)

Post by pablo » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:06 pm

its deffo something we all fancy...but as above a lot of potential buyers dont want a ready done one.

also graemes was in scotland.....

prehaps untill the z's drop in price and maybe appeal to a newer market such modified cars will be more acceptable.

splitting is probably the best way of recouping money

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:59 am

Have to agree with Mike and pablo on this. It's an awesome idea to think of and have it, but when you look at what it does to residuals, reduced target sale market insurance, etc. then it's a tough call to actually go with it.

Doesn't mean I don't still want one on mine... :rofl:
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

pablo

Post by pablo » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:05 pm

id love it too..... :D

however this particular car is in a different league...

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:24 pm

If someone told you there was a version of your car that had another 100 odd horse power and only cost another few grand you would save up and buy the more powerfull model. Yet doing it 'aftermarket' hits the residuals so hard you just don't want to do it. Shame really as its the biggest bargain going if you think about it. :(

Anyway this thread is salivating stuff, can't wait to hear about it finished :thumbsup:
///M Interlagos. Champagne leather

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:06 am

Wondermike wrote:Breaker, did you see the problems Graeme had trying to sell his ESS'd 3.0 he ended up having to split it to sell it, I would suspect that you would be the same. Don't think it is a recommended action at the current time.

What else have you seen?
I like to go for what I like!! No thought processes go on when I want something!! Ask my girlfriend!! :rofl: The sound of a supercharged engine just floats my boat!! :)

I'm keeping an eye on the new Nissan 370Z. :wink: I test drove the 350Z and really liked it, but the Z4 Coupe won me over that time for a number of reasons.
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:11 pm

Femme didn't post the preview yet from the movie of our trip to ESS Tuning in Norway?
Then I'll do it ;)
http://www.ilija.nl
Full movie is coming later...

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:34 pm

Great video, maybe needs a to be a bit more professional though :poke: :D :D

Alpina + Supercharger = GIVE
///M Interlagos. Champagne leather

kris d

Post by kris d » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:43 pm

Hi there Femme
I love what you have done to the car. Absolutely stunning.
I have a standard Alpina Roadster S, and I love the sound of it, but would like to make it just that little bit louder. Can you tell me, does the removal of some material inside the muffler result in a louder but still 'Alpina' sounding exhaust note?

Also, I love the way the exhaust on this car 'pops' on cold starts... is there anyway to increase this popping sound that you know of?

Thanks for any advice,
Kris

Jackcat5

Post by Jackcat5 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:56 pm

I've never been envious of another Z. Even when the M's came out. Now I get that weird felling in my stomach when I see this one. Kinda like the first time seeing my first Playboy centerfold. :wink:

Curtis

Post by Curtis » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:36 pm

kris d wrote:Hi there Femme
I have a standard Alpina Roadster S, and I love the sound of it, but would like to make it just that little bit louder. Can you tell me, does the removal of some material inside the muffler result in a louder but still 'Alpina' sounding exhaust note?

Also, I love the way the exhaust on this car 'pops' on cold starts... is there anyway to increase this popping sound that you know of?

Thanks for any advice,
Kris
Cut open the resonator box midway down the exhaust, remove the internals and reweld!

s2thoudriver

Post by s2thoudriver » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:19 pm

Hi

I am very interested in this thread. I have an 05 Alpina Roadster and as the current market is a bit poor, i would consider doing the conversion as an alternative to a 911 tubo or SLK55 AMG. However, i need to get an idea of prices and details of tuners in the UK (preferebly north west) who would carry out the conversion.

Having looked at this car, i would be interested in prices for:
  • The front 3 point strut brace (and who supplies them)
    The adjustible coilovers (and who supplies them)
    An induction kit (any ideas? can a 3.0 Z4 one fit?)
    Brake upgrade costs (and who supplies them)
    LSD parts and fitting costs.
and finally, the overall cost for parts and labour to undertake the supercharger work. I know this has been quotes once by Simpson but wondered if there are any alternative people who would do the work.

Also, any discount for a group buy??? :thumbsup:

Many thanks in advance

Rob

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:09 pm

Well, you can do the supercharger work anywhere, it's a kit afterall, and the 3.0 Z4 kit is 'developed' so should be possible in 9hrs as their website says. So, find a garage you trust and take their hourly rate x9 I would guess. Maybe £700 + vat?

What it comes down to is, would you want someone doing it who is familiar, or someone who is unfamiliar, with these cars. I'd just pay Simpson to do it and get it back perfect first time, because I honestly haven't heard of anyone else doing so much work to Z4's in the UK. They are also very experienced in general car work/modifying.

If I bought one I'd do it all DIY, but I like doing this kinda stuff. If you are not familiar with car tinkering, the worst thing you could do is then trust someone else who isn't familiar and has to do the work down to a quoted price/time!

Dave
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:44 pm

Mr Whippy wrote:it's a kit afterall, and the 3.0 Z4 kit is 'developed' so should be possible in 9hrs as their website says.
The Alpina engine is not the same as a 3.0 Z4 engine. This was the first time they've done such job on a Alpina. I don't know the difference exactly but the engine is based on the USA-spec E36 M3 engine. So they had to do some custom changes to fit it. And offcourse they didn't have any software for this car yet. I know Femme paid more than the standard Z4 3.0i kit.

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:51 pm

Tom wrote:
Mr Whippy wrote:it's a kit afterall, and the 3.0 Z4 kit is 'developed' so should be possible in 9hrs as their website says.
The Alpina engine is not the same as a 3.0 Z4 engine. This was the first time they've done such job on a Alpina. I don't know the difference exactly but the engine is based on the USA-spec E36 M3 engine. So they had to do some custom changes to fit it. And offcourse they didn't have any software for this car yet. I know Femme paid more than the standard Z4 3.0i kit.
Ah yes sorry, I saw Alpina at the start of his post and then 3.0 Z4 induction kit later in the post.

So yes, the Alpina ESS kit will be a bit more time consuming to fit I would imagine... Simpsons sound like a good bet still. Femme went to ESS themselves, so it makes sense that the next step down would be someone experienced with ESS kits and Z4 tuning at all :)
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

FemmeT

Post by FemmeT » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:14 pm

kris d wrote:Hi there Femme
Hi Kris,

The sound won't be too far off the stock Alpina sound, just a bit louder and it 'pops' more when going off the throttle. I don't know exactly what they did to the muffler but it worked out very well. I liked the Alpina sound and I didn't want a completely different exhaust system. AFAIK they haven't touched the resonator midway down the exhaust.
s2thoudriver wrote:Hi

I am very interested in this thread. I have an 05 Alpina Roadster and as the current market is a bit poor, i would consider doing the conversion as an alternative to a 911 tubo or SLK55 AMG. However, i need to get an idea of prices and details of tuners in the UK (preferebly north west) who would carry out the conversion.

Having looked at this car, i would be interested in prices for:
  • The front 3 point strut brace (and who supplies them)
    The adjustible coilovers (and who supplies them)
    An induction kit (any ideas? can a 3.0 Z4 one fit?)
    Brake upgrade costs (and who supplies them)
    LSD parts and fitting costs.
and finally, the overall cost for parts and labour to undertake the supercharger work. I know this has been quotes once by Simpson but wondered if there are any alternative people who would do the work.
The Alpina Roadster S TS2 supercharger is now on the ESS site. The system is a few thousand euros more expensive than the a Z4 3.0i TS2 and about the same price as the CFR500/525 systems for the Z4M, which has higher topend power but lower lowend torque (Roadster S TS2 @ 3000rpm = ~160hp, CFR525 Q 3000rpm = ~130hp).You have to decide for yourself if it's worth the money. In my case I already had invested a lot of time and money in the Roadster S so switching to a Z4M was no option.

The strut brace I on car is made by Strongstrut.com. Excellent build quality, high price. There are less expensive alternatives such as the BMW strut brace.

The coilovers were custom made by Reiger Racing Suspension. The price was about 900 euros ex VAT per damper (I have their low end damper) including measurements and setup. They do not sell to private persons. Intrax makes very good dampers too. The Intrax 1k2 sold by Simpsons should be good value for money (I believe Curtis uses these on his car).

I also have the suspension bushings upgrades from Turner Motorsport (also sold by Simpsons). The suspension upgrades made a huge improvement to the handling of the car. The Reiger dampers are in the completely different league to the stock Alpina suspension. Ride quality is much better too with the setup I have on my car.

The Mov'it 380mm 6 pistons brakes were very expensive, about 6000 euroes ex VAT. The problem with the brakes is that almost nothing fits unless you use different wheels. A Roadster S without Alpina Dynamics doesn't look like a Roadster S so I really wanted to keep the wheels. The only way we could make the calipers fit was by using a very large diameter brake disc. There is more space behind the spokes further from the center of the wheel. Otherwise the wheel would stick out of the fenders. The clearance between the brake calipers and the wheel spokes is just a few millimeters. We actually had to send one of the wheels to the Mov'it factory to make accurate measurements.

For street use the Mov'it brakes are not worth the money. They perform very well on the track and if you need to brake from 280km/h to 120 on the Autobahn you will be happy to have them on your car.

A less expensive alternative is the AP Racing kit on Simpsons site with a different set of wheels.

The Drexler LSD was another expensive part. 3500 euros ex VAT including a new E46 rear axle with 3.46:1 final drive ratio and shipment from Germany to the Netherlands. The price of a bare LSD was € 1850 ex VAT. Quaiffe is the cheaper alternative. A Quaiffe ATB differential kit with 3.46:1 final drive is just £829.06 @ Birds.
Alpina Roadster S #46
Drexler LSD, Mov'it brakes, Reiger dampers, Recaro seats, quad exhaust and a thousand and one other mods