Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Audio fault

Sylz4

Audio fault

Post by Sylz4 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:30 pm

Having just had my new Z4 2.0 for 2 months the radio and voice control function has failed , meaning no in car radio , car play , sat nav audio etc . Car taken back to Bmw who have confirmed a faulty amplifier . Result car in at dealers for approx 2 to 3 months !!! Very basic high mileage 3 series provided from Enterprise hire , but has anyone else had any similar faults , or can give advise . My last Z4 I had for 11 years from new and traded in for this one . Wondering if that was a good idea now .
PS They won’t let me have the car back until the spare part arrives because of a safety issue ?

BrianD

Audio fault

Post by BrianD » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:39 pm

I've not had any issues in that area or read of any similar issues, it could just be bad luck that the amplifier has failed. I have to say that 2 to 3 months is a long time to wait until the part arrives, guess we have Covid to blame for component shortages. The loss of the radio and sat navigation surely can't be classed as a safety issue, can it? I think that something similar had happened to another member where a dealer had refused to give them back their car due to a safety issue.
70 plate Z4 M40i - Alphine White, Magma Red trim plus all the toys and an OAP behind the wheel :D
Gone 62 Z4 35is sDrive Auto in white with 169K miles

ori

Audio fault

Post by ori » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:10 am

Not heard of a similar issue, but Jesus 2-3 months!?!?!?

I’d be calling BMW customer services and asking for a proper loan car and maybe some good will. Free service? Also calling bmw customer services might get the part quicker.

If you financed the car through BMW finance they will give you 3 months of payments back if you complain.

ori

Audio fault

Post by ori » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:13 am

Just read you have only had the car 2 months.
In that case you can reject the car as it would be deemed to have been a fault from manufacture.

Jesus 2-3 months for a sodding amp. That’s poor.

Sylz4

Audio fault

Post by Sylz4 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:09 am

Thanks all , really not happy obviously and have spoken to Bmw customer service but they have passed it back to the local dealer. They are saying that the SOS button is also affected so that’s why they can’t release the car . They are also blaming the worldwide chip shortage for the delay . Seems like I have just got to wait until the car is repaired and then if it has been 2/3 months ( or longer 😳) try for some compensation.
By the way their excuse for providing a base 3 series ( dirty and 93000 miles on the clock ) is that they are just liable to keep me mobile . Obviously not impressed 🤬

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Audio fault

Post by dr_john » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:59 am

Not had any problem with the Harmon Kardon system in my G29.

Very poor service from BMW in terms of the loan car, I would be pressing for a vehicle of similar quality.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

ori

Audio fault

Post by ori » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:21 pm

Reject the car. Order a new one. Will arrive in 6 months.