Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lane Departure Warning

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Lane Departure Warning

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:06 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:58 am
dr_john wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:31 pm I had mine back into BMW 2 years ago shortly after taking delivery. The LDW was erratic, I went on a drive with a BMW tech and he confirmed things were not right but suggested that the next software update would fix it.

It didn’t, each update reset the LDW back to max vibration. I now just try and remember to turn the whole thing off each time I start the car.

It’s a menace, I hate the bloody thing. I love everything else about my G29 apart from this :(
Due solely to this thread it was a question I had for the “tech genius” I had allocated to me at handover. I told him I wanted it switched off permanently and he did it. A button on the central console and a couple of settings in the iDrive and it’s been off ever since. I don’t need to do anything each time I get in the car :thumbsup:
That's what I thought it would be. Got the same thing on our 1 series. There's a little button in the middle of the dash that goes from green to orange to show part of 'nanny' isn't selected. It acts as a shortcut to the menu as well.
In fact it also depends on the key in use. Wifey's settings leave it all switched on.
Is the G29 the same?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Lane Departure Warning

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:19 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:06 pm
dr_john wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:31 pm I had mine back into BMW 2 years ago shortly after taking delivery. The LDW was erratic, I went on a drive with a BMW tech and he confirmed things were not right but suggested that the next software update would fix it.

It didn’t, each update reset the LDW back to max vibration. I now just try and remember to turn the whole thing off each time I start the car.

It’s a menace, I hate the bloody thing. I love everything else about my G29 apart from this :(
Due solely to this thread it was a question I had for the “tech genius” I had allocated to me at handover. I told him I wanted it switched off permanently and he did it. A button on the central console and a couple of settings in the iDrive and it’s been off ever since. I don’t need to do anything each time I get in the car :thumbsup:
That's what I thought it would be. Got the same thing on our 1 series. There's a little button in the middle of the dash that goes from green to orange to show part of 'nanny' isn't selected. It acts as a shortcut to the menu as well.
In fact it also depends on the key in use. Wifey's settings leave it all switched on.
Is the G29 the same?
Yes, you’re correct, the button in the middle is now permanently Orange but I haven’t pressed it since I picked it up and also haven’t done anything about setting up the keys individually. Kathleen says she’s not driving it so I’ve got both keys and just use whichever one is at hand and that hasn’t changed the settings by doing so.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Ian J

Lane Departure Warning

Post by Ian J » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:45 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:19 pm
    Kathleen says she’s not driving it so I’ve got both keys
    Why on earth not? Mine couldn't wait to grab the keys and drive off into the sunset

Ian J

Lane Departure Warning

Post by Ian J » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:48 am

A button on the central console and a couple of settings in the iDrive and it’s been off ever since. I don’t need to do anything each time I get in the car :thumbsup:
    Does your inappropriately named "lane change warning" light still work shining orange in the wing mirror when another car approaches in your blind spot?

Mine doesn't any longer and I can't find a setting for it and am wondering if it's tied in with the "lane departure" facility

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Lane Departure Warning

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:10 am

Ian J wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:45 am
    Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:19 pm
    Kathleen says she’s not driving it so I’ve got both keys
    Why on earth not? Mine couldn't wait to grab the keys and drive off into the sunset
    Ian, I’ve tried to encourage her several times, and with the 35iS, but I think there’s a combination of things. She’s quite small so can’t see the corners, it’s an auto and she’s never driven one before and I suspect she feels it’s too powerful for her. She drove the 23i once but it was a manual.

There is another small issue and that’s that she’s not a very confident driver, she has what I affectionately call an Argyll driving license, it’s only valid for 40 miles from her house :rofl: she’s never driven in the city or on a dual carriageway/motorway as far as I’m aware.

She says she much prefers being driven and I’m not complaining, to say I’d be a nervous passenger if she was driving the G29 would be an understatement :cry:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

Lane Departure Warning

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:11 am

Ian J wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:48 am
      A button on the central console and a couple of settings in the iDrive and it’s been off ever since. I don’t need to do anything each time I get in the car :thumbsup:
      Does your inappropriately named "lane change warning" light still work shining orange in the wing mirror when another car approaches in your blind spot?

Mine doesn't any longer and I can't find a setting for it and am wondering if it's tied in with the "lane departure" facility
      Ian, I have no idea as I’ve not really used that. Most of my driving has been on single carriageway A class roads, my nearest dual carriageway is about 65 miles away :oops:

enuff_zed
        Lifer
        Lifer

Lane Departure Warning

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:15 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:11 am

Ian, I have no idea as I’ve not really used that. Most of my driving has been on single carriageway A class roads, my nearest dual carriageway is about 65 miles away :oops:
        And of course, you actually have to look in the mirror to see it. :poke: :D
        HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
        Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
        Lifer
        Lifer

Lane Departure Warning

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:31 am

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:15 am
        Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:11 am

And of course, you actually have to look in the mirror to see it. :poke: :D
        And have anything close enough behind you to trigger it and god forbid someone actually having the audacity to overtake me :wink: well maybe while I’m running it in :lol:

Ian J

Lane Departure Warning

Post by Ian J » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:26 am

After a great deal of fiddling and emails to the dealer I've finally found out why the lane change warning light doesn't come on when someone is in my blind spot and that's because it's part of the "Driving Assistant" package which I didn't order :D

That'll teach me to be more careful as in view of the poor visibility with the hood up it's something that I should have ordered