Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering wheel vibrating

ori

Steering wheel vibrating

Post by ori » Mon May 10, 2021 4:19 pm

Ok guys. Car is currently with BMW for an issue with my steering.
Very strange problem. Steering feels like it encounters some resistance at a certain point. It also vibrates. It does it while stationary, but it happens when moving and if you go round a roundabout it’s a weird sensation. It’s like a haptic feedback.

I attach a video (well I’m going to try) and you can hear the steering wheel vibrate.

At the moment BMW don’t know what it is, but are starting with looking at suspension. I don’t believe it is and have a feeling it is more to do with power steering.

Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/lwaX8msah30

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Steering wheel vibrating

Post by dr_john » Tue May 11, 2021 8:04 am

Anything to do with the Lane Departure Warning?
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

ori

Steering wheel vibrating

Post by ori » Tue May 11, 2021 12:39 pm

dr_john wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:04 am Anything to do with the Lane Departure Warning?
No idea. I’ve turned that off anyway. It does it when stationary though.

raven

Steering wheel vibrating

Post by raven » Tue May 11, 2021 3:57 pm

I also think its your lane departure that's on (maybe it's on again because of software update or something). If you press the button with the car in the circle for a few seconds it should turn off all the collision safety settings and it should be gone. if you short press the button once you can configure the options one by one.
2019 BMW Z4 G29 M40i @600hp - IG: ZZZZ_M40i

ori

Steering wheel vibrating

Post by ori » Tue May 11, 2021 4:36 pm

raven wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:57 pm I also think its your lane departure that's on (maybe it's on again because of software update or something). If you press the button with the car in the circle for a few seconds it should turn off all the collision safety settings and it should be gone. if you short press the button once you can configure the options one by one.
The only safety feature I have on is the collision one. Lane departure warning is off as I hated it. Also it wouldn’t vibrate while stationary.
I went to BMW today to speak to them. Showed them the vibration and they are investigating. They said steering feels strange, but they can’t pinpoint it. It’s going on an extended drive today.
I’ll know more tomorrow I guess, but I have a bad feeling this is going to be a long one. :(

raven

Steering wheel vibrating

Post by raven » Fri May 14, 2021 2:13 pm

ori wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:36 pm
raven wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:57 pm I also think its your lane departure that's on (maybe it's on again because of software update or something). If you press the button with the car in the circle for a few seconds it should turn off all the collision safety settings and it should be gone. if you short press the button once you can configure the options one by one.
The only safety feature I have on is the collision one. Lane departure warning is off as I hated it. Also it wouldn’t vibrate while stationary.
I went to BMW today to speak to them. Showed them the vibration and they are investigating. They said steering feels strange, but they can’t pinpoint it. It’s going on an extended drive today.
I’ll know more tomorrow I guess, but I have a bad feeling this is going to be a long one. :(
Maybe a dirty sensor thing? or from the accident still, something that got knocked loose or damaged?
Hopefully they can find it :)

I gave up on them solving my GPS problem, I decided I am ok with a GPS system that occasionally tries to kill me :D

But its not as intrusive as a vibrating steering wheel, that I would definitely get fixed :D

ori

Steering wheel vibrating

Post by ori » Fri May 14, 2021 10:45 pm

So they wanted to compare it with another M40i, but don’t have any obviously. Booked in next month at another branch.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Steering wheel vibrating

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri May 14, 2021 11:33 pm

ori wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:45 pm So they wanted to compare it with another M40i, but don’t have any obviously. Booked in next month at another branch.
Ori, have they assured you it’s ok to drive?

Pretty poor service that you have to wait until next month to take it somewhere else for them to compare it with another car.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

ori

Steering wheel vibrating

Post by ori » Mon May 17, 2021 7:02 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:33 pm
    ori wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:45 pm So they wanted to compare it with another M40i, but don’t have any obviously. Booked in next month at another branch.
    Ori, have they assured you it’s ok to drive?

Pretty poor service that you have to wait until next month to take it somewhere else for them to compare it with another car.
    Yes they checked it all and it’s safe. So they say anyway.

The delay is due to me insisting on a courtesy car. From my experience if you don’t have one they take far too long and delay your car all they want.

raven

Steering wheel vibrating

Post by raven » Mon May 17, 2021 8:20 pm

Also nice dealerships they have there :o
    For me its always the other way around, I get the car back the next day but I have to go back 3times before the problem is fixed, sometimes it comes back more broken than before.

I love my car, but the service at BMW... I think this will be my last BMW.

Hopefully they find it quickly so you can enjoy driving the car again :)