Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

GPS Nav screen stays zoomed in when off

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:45 pm

When I use the car's navigation system all works okay. But when it has no destination, the screen zooms in to the point it is distracting (0.25 mi); things move across the screen so fast it catches the eye. A don't know if this is a fault, and I will admit I have not studied the manual yet on this particular issue.

I have tried going the the Map screen, zooming out to a more appropriate scale, but after a minute or so the map zooms back again to the 0.25 mile scale. I thought it might be speed related, where the zoom is increased when driving slowly, and the system might sense I'm driving slowing, looking for a street. But no, the zoom is not speed dependent.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Misano Blue, Premium, Leather
Need more curves in west Tennessee!

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:33 pm

I guess the navigation screen doesn't bother anyone else........ :|
2020 BMW Z4 M40i

raven

Post by raven » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:27 pm

PaperSniper wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:33 pm I guess the navigation screen doesn't bother anyone else........ :|
When I don't have a destination entered I usually don't have the navigation open, the display will be on carplay or spotify then.
So I haven't noticed it yet, for me its usually the opposite , zoomed out too far, but that's when I have a destination entered :-)
2019 BMW Z4 G29 M40i @600hp - IG: ZZZZ_M40i

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:09 pm

Thanks for the reply, Raven. I will have to slew off the navigation page when not using nav for guidance I suppose.

Doug
2020 BMW Z4 M40i

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:22 pm

If I go to the Map page, then scroll the map in any direction, even a little bit, the scale doesn't change.....at least for quite a while.
2020 BMW Z4 M40i

ori

Post by ori » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:58 pm

Can’t remember and I never use the bmw navigation.

Saying that, it shouldn’t change zoom unless you change it. Are you sure you aren’t accidentally rotating the idrive wheel? That changes the zoom.

There might also be an auto zoom feature, but again I think that’s only during navigation.

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:48 pm

No, when using the BMW system for destination guidance, it will auto-zoom more our less appropriately. It's when it's not navigating, that is, going to a destination when it zooms to an annoying scale. The only way I can stop it from zooming in like that when not using guidance is to slew the map slightly as I described above.

Interesting how many don't ever use the navigation in their car. I know a lot of folks use Android Auto or Car play. I guess I'm old school, I have been using GPS units since they first came out many years ago and like to tinker with them. Garmin GPS unit "work" much better than the one in the Z, but then I'd have those power cords laying around, and the unit on the dash or the windshield. To each his own, eh. :thumbsup:
2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Z4monster

Post by Z4monster » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:03 pm

You need to turn off automated zoom in the settings menu. I tried it today and it stops the zoom from changing. Although I found if I zoomed out to 1 mile then the movement was more annoying than ever. I guess the solution is to use the HOME screen which shows multiple screens at once. That way the Nav map isn't dominant on the screen.