Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mileage log after service not BMW

Staginhiding

Post by Staginhiding » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:04 am

I have had my 2019 Z4 serviced locally using BMW supplied engine oil and filter.The garage has reset the warning messages but does not seem to be able to log the miles into the car system with his Snap On machine.
Does anyone know if this is possible or is it only BMW who can do that ?I have bought a service book and logged it anyway but it would be good to have listed on the car log.

Thanks for any help or advice

Sam

Wyldie85

Post by Wyldie85 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:29 am

Hi Sam,

I had assumed that all work done on the new Z4 was automatically logged. I’ve had my service completed and as there’s no book, it was all stored on the key/log.

Do you not have to have your car serviced at BMW to keep the warranty current?
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

Staginhiding

Post by Staginhiding » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:05 am

Hi
I guess only logged if carried out by BMW.It appears that the Snap On machine does not do it,unless someone knows better.

The warranty is still valid as long as you use approved parts.I bought the oil and filter from BMW.You do not even need to do that as long as the parts are OE approved.

I do not like the attitude of my local BMW dealership.I appreciate they need to stick to BMW approved servicing schedules however the way they dictate what they will and will not do annoys me.Also I need to travel and hour (then wait an hour and a half minimum) and then an hour home,and also pay excessively for the privilege.It really is not worth my time.

I bought a service book and had the garage stamp it..old school style :)

Sam

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:38 am

Staginhiding wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:04 am I have had my 2019 Z4 serviced locally using BMW supplied engine oil and filter.The garage has reset the warning messages but does not seem to be able to log the miles into the car system with his Snap On machine.
Does anyone know if this is possible or is it only BMW who can do that ?I have bought a service book and logged it anyway but it would be good to have listed on the car log.

Thanks for any help or advice

Sam
The garage needs access to the current BMW factory s/w tool set to do tricks like that AFAIK.

A bona fide installation of that software checks BMW’s servers before it does anything and any mods/updates are uploaded to the servers..

Non OE supported tools aren’t authorised to authenticate with those servers..

This is the downside to using non BMW dealers ...some non BMW dealers have pirate copies that allow them to do almost all things that a non OE unit can’t do but even those I think can’t do the data sync..AFAIK :thumbsup:

Staginhiding

Post by Staginhiding » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:14 am

Thanks for that info...I hate that you are being controlled by this type of company to what you can and cannot do..
It would be different if they had given you the car for free...

I am a bit of a rebel as you can probably guess :evil: .

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:22 am

Staginhiding wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:14 am Thanks for that info...I hate that you are being controlled by this type of company to what you can and cannot do..
It would be different if they had given you the car for free...

I am a bit of a rebel as you can probably guess :evil: .
That's not being a rebel that's just sticking up for your rights. Another big brother software control hater here. It's why I still run Office 98 on my PC on windows 10. They hadn't got around to adding code to disable it at that point and lets face it Office 98 does 99% of what the current version I use on my works PC does. The rest is just a modern meal ticket for the OEM :roll: