Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sat Nav has lost the plot!!

John H100

Post by John H100 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:55 pm

I attended a funeral in a part of Leeds I don't know that well this afternoon, so I set the sat nav to take me home, epic fail....the sat nav thought that my current location was about 20 miles north of where I was, not a lot of use!!
My sense of direction got me out of Leeds and onto roads I know back to the Yorkshire Coast.
After an hour or two I went out to the car and checked the map/sat nav again....it now thinks I'm somewhere in The Ribble Valley, about 75 miles west of where we are.
Better phone the dealers.
Tonight was the first time I've driven the car in the dark, I've got to say I wasnt overly impressed with the headlights....the Mrs Mini Cooper S illuminates the road far better.

ori

Post by ori » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:07 pm

My mates x5 started doing that a few months back and hasn’t stopped. It’s a pain as it messes up
The HUD and speed limit functions.
I tried to help him with software updates etc, but none of that helped.
Needs to be booked in I’m afraid.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:56 am

John H100 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:55 pm I attended a funeral in a part of Leeds I don't know that well this afternoon, so I set the sat nav to take me home, epic fail....the sat nav thought that my current location was about 20 miles north of where I was, not a lot of use!!
My sense of direction got me out of Leeds and onto roads I know back to the Yorkshire Coast.
After an hour or two I went out to the car and checked the map/sat nav again....it now thinks I'm somewhere in The Ribble Valley, about 75 miles west of where we are.
Better phone the dealers.
Tonight was the first time I've driven the car in the dark, I've got to say I wasnt overly impressed with the headlights....the Mrs Mini Cooper S illuminates the road far better.

Have you fitted a dash cam in the car by any chance ? A BMW Dash can screwed my sat nav up good and proper ! ( now sorted)
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

John H100

Post by John H100 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:28 am

No, it's as it left the factory, only passed it's "running in" milestone yesterday.

Wyldie85

Post by Wyldie85 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:24 am

I’d check your software and which version it’s running. Yet again lots of issues and glitches are fixed by an update or patch.
Get it booked in with BMW and just tell them it’s unacceptable and you want it rectified.

There seems to be so much of this at the moment. Premium brands and lots of money being spent and then dealers not wanting to know or resolve things. Nobody is accountable anymore.
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

John H100

Post by John H100 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:31 am

Booked in for Tuesday, Sat Nav to sort and headlights to take a look at....I did notice some condensation in them a few weeks ago when I'd been out on a damp day.

I'll let you know what they say.

Ledg

Post by Ledg » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:37 pm

ive only my vw caddy with crappy halogen bulbs to compare to but the lights in our z4 are amazing, its like driving in daylight

ori

Post by ori » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:51 pm

John H100 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:31 am Booked in for Tuesday, Sat Nav to sort and headlights to take a look at....I did notice some condensation in them a few weeks ago when I'd been out on a damp day.

I'll let you know what they say.
Let me know about condensation.....I get it in mine too, but I posted on here and it seems normal.

Wyldie85

Post by Wyldie85 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:51 pm

Condensation in headlights is normal. I have it on my C Class Merc too.
They are designed with a vent tube so it should disappear as the moisture evaporates.

See here ~~~> https://www.carlightblog.com/2018/10/23 ... rry-about/
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

chasBMW

Post by chasBMW » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:27 pm

Yup the porsche does it too , quite badly actually
Valencia Orange 35is now gone but well remembered now Porsche Boxster GTS

John H100

Post by John H100 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:59 pm

The sat nav burst back into life on my way to the garage this morning!!
They checked the connections, all were secure, they reloaded the software and on their test it picked up seven satellites perfectly....it functioned perfectly on the way home, fingers crossed.
The "misting" headlights is apparently normal and the design is that the heat from the bulbs clears them.
It snowed quite heavily on my way to the garage, the roads were white over, I popped into Eco mode and was very gentle on the throttle, I'm pleased to say I had no problems.