Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

remapping G29

CDJ

remapping G29

Post by CDJ » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:19 pm

Hi,
i'm new and thanks for allowing me to Join.
i have a question and i hope someone can help.. i enquired about a remap today for my 20i roadster, i was told that more then likely that the ECU's will be locked as its a new car, they said that they may be able to read the the ECU through the OBD? but as the protocols have just been released its probably better to wait a year or so or until its at least been run in. Also apparently if there's a recall on the car then the remap would be wiped clean.. any comments or help would be appreciated. (wish i'd brought the 30i)
Cheers

Wyldie85

remapping G29

Post by Wyldie85 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:31 pm

Given how BMW monitor the cars in terms of the software and the keys when they are at the dealer, they can tell all sorts. I’d have thought they would soon know if the car had been mapped. It would also likely invalidate the warranty.

As for a recall... again, I’d have thought with BMW hooking it up to their computers would soon see anything that had been done to the ECU and if they updated anything, it would wipe out mapping.

Look forward to seeing some pics of your G29.
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

Pbondar

remapping G29

Post by Pbondar » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:39 pm

The main issue is that no matter which way you get your G29 tweaked BMW will know you’ve done it and if there is any possible correlation between your actions and a warranty issue you can guess what they may say.. :thumbsdown:

One advantage of an older out of warranty car :rofl:

CDJ

remapping G29

Post by CDJ » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:15 am

Thanks, will post some, its a small world i moved from Tilford to Devon last year!

raven

remapping G29

Post by raven » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:09 pm

CDJ wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:19 pm Hi,
i'm new and thanks for allowing me to Join.
i have a question and i hope someone can help.. i enquired about a remap today for my 20i roadster, i was told that more then likely that the ECU's will be locked as its a new car, they said that they may be able to read the the ECU through the OBD? but as the protocols have just been released its probably better to wait a year or so or until its at least been run in. Also apparently if there's a recall on the car then the remap would be wiped clean.. any comments or help would be appreciated. (wish i'd brought the 30i)
Cheers
I had my M40i done, they can update the chip without any problems, in case i have to go back to the dealership they put it back to original state, and then when i'm done i let them put the overwrite back (costs about 60euro here).

20/30i can be mapped to around 310HP
2019 BMW Z4 G29 M40i @600hp - IG: ZZZZ_M40i

ori

remapping G29

Post by ori » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:17 am

[/quote]

I had my M40i done, they can update the chip without any problems, in case i have to go back to the dealership they put it back to original state, and then when i'm done i let them put the overwrite back (costs about 60euro here).

20/30i can be mapped to around 310HP
[/quote]

What did you get your M40i mapped to? Just curious as I’m way to scared to mess about with that knowing how much they can tell at dealership and the state of warrantee. ie. if I break down somewhere and call BMW assist and the car gets taken straight to them rather than a service where I can put the old map back on.

I have also heard some horror stories of M4 being mapped and having a cylinder running lean.....cause massive engine failure after a while.

raven

remapping G29

Post by raven » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:42 am

ori wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:17 am
What did you get your M40i mapped to? Just curious as I’m way to scared to mess about with that knowing how much they can tell at dealership and the state of warrantee. ie. if I break down somewhere and call BMW assist and the car gets taken straight to them rather than a service where I can put the old map back on.

I have also heard some horror stories of M4 being mapped and having a cylinder running lean.....cause massive engine failure after a while.
Stage 1 tuning: 430HP 666Nm I also modified the stock exhaust, ive had it removed once when my car was at bmw for software updates and bumper replacement, they didnt notice.

Its comparable power to what companies like Manhart and AC Snitzer are doing.

The guy at the performance shop told me they just optimize it for E5(Super 98) fuel within the safety margin, i can no longer refuel with E10 or E25, but i wasnt planning on doing that anyway (not sure if the fule names are the same in UK).

I read somewhere some companies take over the engine warranty too if its only stage 1 mapping.
2019 BMW Z4 G29 M40i @600hp - IG: ZZZZ_M40i

Pbondar

remapping G29

Post by Pbondar » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:22 am

BMW runs a deeply embedded data capture / event system that almost all tuners cannot access that shows all strange events..irrespective of whether maps have been changed and restored...in fact they have a specific flag to suggest when a tuning box / remap has happened...some countries require this for accident investigation...

So if you tune it then restore the history shows you did it...

A number of M5 claims have been declined on this basis..

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

remapping G29

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:32 am

Pbondar wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:22 am BMW runs a deeply embedded data capture / event system that almost all tuners cannot access that shows all strange events..irrespective of whether maps have been changed and restored...in fact they have a specific flag to suggest when a tuning box / remap has happened...some countries require this for accident investigation...

So if you tune it then restore the history shows you did it...

A number of M5 claims have been declined on this basis..
That was my worry. I thought I might be able to get one that could be reversed/reset from say your phone but I was concerned it’d leave a footprint of some description and since it’s an AUC I decided not to bother.

It’s plenty quick enough just now anyway :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

samuir1974

remapping G29

Post by samuir1974 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:55 pm

Newly in the market for a Z4 M40i - i also started looking at the remap options for future updates.

Interesting to read the info above. Where do things stand on say a JB4 point of view?

Is it all done on the fly and not logged per say - or are there still pitfalls using this route.

Thanks.
    Current - 2007 BMW Z4 3.0 Si Auto

Gone - 2017 Audi RS7 Performance
    Gone - 2006 BMW Z4 2.5Si Sport
    Gone - 2018 VW Golf .:R
    Gone - 2010 BMW Z4 35iS
    Gone - 2009 VW Passat .:R36

Smartbear
    Lifer
    Lifer

remapping G29

Post by Smartbear » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:05 pm

samuir1974 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:55 pm Newly in the market for a Z4 M40i - i also started looking at the remap options for future updates.

Interesting to read the info above. Where do things stand on say a JB4 point of view?

Is it all done on the fly and not logged per say - or are there still pitfalls using this route.

Thanks.
    https://youtu.be/QNu17zA1sRg
    Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
    e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
    e85 3.0si sold

Pbondar

remapping G29

Post by Pbondar » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:15 pm

As SmartBear points out...

Whether you read-map it or use a tuning box the hallmarks of a tune/tweak/bodge will be left in perpetuity in the data logging...

So you take the risk under warranty or leave it till the warranty is irrelevant..

Like all insurance type issues who cares until it goes to really badly wrong then when it really matters they will find out..

Personally I think the chances of being caught out with a modest tune is low..but I’m not carrying the risk...

TheGingerOneNI

remapping G29

Post by TheGingerOneNI » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:18 am

I can't comment specifically on the Z4 but I tuned my 2017 Audi TTS. It was the first time I ever had a car tuned and went with a tried and tested tune that had been used on Golf R's and S3's taking them to about 370bhp. Less than a week and 300 miles my turbo let go. Total mileage on the car was 11000 odd. Car was recovered by the tuner who restored the original map before going to Audi. They plugged it into their computer and everything was fine as far as they could tell initially however once it connected to the database in Germany for warranty approval checking the system showed that there had been an amendment on my ECU. Apparently every time an Audi dealer update ECU software (as part of a recall or service) it has to connect to the master server in the motherland so that the counter matches. When the plugged it in the counters didn't match so it produces a TD1 flag which basically means the ECU was tampered with.

I imagine BMW have a similar system. I'm sure the engine can handle plenty more power as companies like AC schnitzer will warranty the car themselves but you pay their premium for that. Needless to say for me it's once bitten twice shy.

Wyldie85

remapping G29

Post by Wyldie85 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:16 am

Ah... well given your username and the Tilford connection, I’m guessing you’re Colin then. :D
    Glad to hear you’ve joined the Z4 fold. Hope you’re enjoying it!
    2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
    2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
    2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
    2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

ori

remapping G29

Post by ori » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:37 am

TheGingerOneNI wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:18 am I can't comment specifically on the Z4 but I tuned my 2017 Audi TTS. It was the first time I ever had a car tuned and went with a tried and tested tune that had been used on Golf R's and S3's taking them to about 370bhp. Less than a week and 300 miles my turbo let go. Total mileage on the car was 11000 odd. Car was recovered by the tuner who restored the original map before going to Audi. They plugged it into their computer and everything was fine as far as they could tell initially however once it connected to the database in Germany for warranty approval checking the system showed that there had been an amendment on my ECU. Apparently every time an Audi dealer update ECU software (as part of a recall or service) it has to connect to the master server in the motherland so that the counter matches. When the plugged it in the counters didn't match so it produces a TD1 flag which basically means the ECU was tampered with.

I imagine BMW have a similar system. I'm sure the engine can handle plenty more power as companies like AC schnitzer will warranty the car themselves but you pay their premium for that. Needless to say for me it's once bitten twice shy.
    My friend works at Porsche and confirmed something similar. The days of them not knowing that the ecu has been tampered with are long gone……until someone finds a way around it. ;)