Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electric mirrors packed up

Ledg

Post by Ledg » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:07 pm

Today I backed out of our drive as normal. The mirror dipped as normal. Put the car back I. Drive to pull away and the mirror stopped working. Pulled up down the road. Turned the car off and got out and locked it. The folding mirrors also didn’t work. Got back in and started it up. All mirror functions didn’t work. I had to manually get out and move the mirror glass so it was safe to drive again. When I arrived at my destination I locked the car and they have started working again. Guess I should tell Bmw but as it’s now working they aren’t going to find anything.

Z4monster

Post by Z4monster » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:28 am

Mine had an intermittent mirror issue very similar. Drivers mirror started misbehaving followed by passenger. They would randomly refuse to unfold, go half way, mirror would tilt to crazy angles, passenger would tilt in reverse then refuse to return to normal. BMW diagnosed a faulty mirror unit on the drivers side and a new control module. No issues since. It's a known issue apparently.

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:36 am

Mine have occasionally refused to unfold on startup, but will unfold if I press the manual open button.

I put it down to a software fault and expected it to be fixed with a new software release, but it happened again last week.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

Ledg

Post by Ledg » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:38 am

I was assuming it was a software fault and as I’m not on the lastest software an update might solve it. I shall ring our local Bmw up and get them to look at it. I’d hate it to happen while my wife is driving, could be fairly dangerous if she has to go on the motorway.

Ledg

Post by Ledg » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:59 pm

My local Bmw garage had our car today and both mirrors have a fault and they are replacing the mirror electrics next Friday. Looks like it was worth taking in.

Ledg

Post by Ledg » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:36 pm

Well the new ones didn’t last long. Both mirrors packed up again today. Got it booked in at bmw next week again to get new ones fitted. Guess they haven’t sorted what ever goes wrong with them.

ori

Post by ori » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:51 pm

Ledg wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:36 pm Well the new ones didn’t last long. Both mirrors packed up again today. Got it booked in at bmw next week again to get new ones fitted. Guess they haven’t sorted what ever goes wrong with them.
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a faulty control unit that they didn’t replace and has blown the mirror units again?

Let us know.

Ledg

Post by Ledg » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:19 pm

I can't remember what they replaced last time, not sure if it was just both mirrors or the control module as well. I will have to ask. Its quite annoying when it happens, both the mirrors were folded in at the supermarket car park, when I came back to the car they had just given up, I had to force the mirrors back out by hand so I could drive home.

Ledg

Post by Ledg » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:26 pm

ori wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:51 pm
Ledg wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:36 pm Well the new ones didn’t last long. Both mirrors packed up again today. Got it booked in at bmw next week again to get new ones fitted. Guess they haven’t sorted what ever goes wrong with them.
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a faulty control unit that they didn’t replace and has blown the mirror units again?

Let us know.
Ive just emailed the lady at Bmw that sorts my services out to ask her what they did last time and to hopefully get them to try a new module as well this time. (she is always pretty good, she has already ordered 2 new mirrors before they have even looked at the car just incase that's the problem)

Ledg

Post by Ledg » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:37 pm

well took the car into Bmw today. bloody mirrors all started working perfect this morning and no fault codes came up at Bmw. they have updated the car software and we will have to see if it happens again.

ori

Post by ori » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:39 pm

Hope it was a software glitch and update cures it.

Ledg

Post by Ledg » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:08 pm

well this problem isn't solved, passenger side mirror has packed up again :headbang: . luckily its still in warranty til June I think. bit of a joke, that will be 2 drivers side mirrors and this will be the 3rd passenger side mirror.

r2uzenblot

Post by r2uzenblot » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:51 pm

I think warranty items are then warranted as per a new car so your mirrors should have a two year warranty on when replaced.
2023 G29 20i M Sport Portimao Blue
2021 Triumph Tiger GT Pro
2020 Cube Hybrid
1954 Two feet

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:43 pm

I noticed my near side mirror sometimes does not tilt when reversing to see the kerb.

Will monitor it after seeing these posts
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White