Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M40i brakes - design flaw uncovered

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:17 pm

ronk wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:14 pm I hope they (BMW) will listen - If their assist agents are noticing the problem there must be documentation going back I would hope?
I would like to think so...
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:22 pm

Swiftly wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:08 pm I suppose it was only a matter of time before I fell victim too. After 14 months of ownership and 6K miles, I managed to get a stone lodged in the front near side wheel just as I arrived home last night. What a horrendous noise it made, and despite reversing and braking, I wasn't able to dislodge the stone. This morning I placed a call with BMW Assist, and when the chap arrived he took the wheel off and removed a small wedge shaped stone which had managed to jam itself good and proper. The chap also mentioned that it is now becoming a common issue The brake disc was checked, and luckily no damage was done, so all good thankfully.

20201117_103029.jpg
The offending stone with a 5 pence coin for size comparison.
20201117_104032.jpg
Just curious, would BMW cover the cost if the disc/pad had been damaged?

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Swiftly
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:32 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:22 pm
    Swiftly wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:08 pm I suppose it was only a matter of time before I fell victim too. After 14 months of ownership and 6K miles, I managed to get a stone lodged in the front near side wheel just as I arrived home last night. What a horrendous noise it made, and despite reversing and braking, I wasn't able to dislodge the stone. This morning I placed a call with BMW Assist, and when the chap arrived he took the wheel off and removed a small wedge shaped stone which had managed to jam itself good and proper. The chap also mentioned that it is now becoming a common issue The brake disc was checked, and luckily no damage was done, so all good thankfully.

20201117_103029.jpg
    20201117_104032.jpg
    I very much doubt it Andy, I think it would be classed as wear and tear
    Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
    Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
    Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
    Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:25 am

Swiftly wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:32 pm
    Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:22 pm

20201117_103029.jpg
    20201117_104032.jpg
    I very much doubt it Andy, I think it would be classed as wear and tear
    That’s the thing that would really burst me, it’s an obvious design fault, their Assist guys are seeing this as a more regular call out cause so clearly indicating there’s an issue.

I’m interested in this topic because I can see a M40i on the horizon at some point and having this hanging there knowing BMW will likely class it as wear and tear isn’t filling me with joy.

I wonder how many cases they’ll need to retrofit a better stone guard FOC

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:06 pm

Here’s a photo of the front M Sport brake disc assembly on my M40i, which clearly shows why there is a problem. This is the photo that I took when the car was on the ramp at my local dealer for inspection. :thumbsdown:

It has happened to me five times now and it sounds absolutely horrendous. As you drive forward the stone gets pushed further and further down into the gap between the brake disc and shield and there is no way you can get it out without removing the wheel. Even with the wheel off it is very difficult to remove the stone. :thumbsdown:

I have reported the problem to my local BMW dealer, who took photos and video and passed them on to the BMW UK Technical Department who in turn passed it on to BMW AG in Germany, so they are all very aware of the problem but so far have chosen to do nothing about it. I also wrote a strong letter to the BMW UK MD, but all I got in response was “we are very sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your car”. :headbang:

By the way, I understand that the G20 3-Series has the same M Sport brakes assembly.
      FEA4E230-6759-405E-841B-2782F41E40A3.jpeg
      FEA4E230-6759-405E-841B-2782F41E40A3.jpeg (120.91 KiB) Viewed 2749 times

craig3.2
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:38 pm

Jim S wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:55 pm I think I may have uncovered a design flaw in the M Sport brakes fitted to the new Z4 M40i and other Z4 G29 models fitted with the same brakes. Stones are far too easily getting trapped between the brake disc rotor and the metal heat/protector shield behind the rotor.

In the space of only a few weeks and 800 miles of taking delivery of my brand new Z4 M40i this problem has occurred four times. When it happens it sounds absolutely horrendous. The noise is a very loud high pitched squeal and it sounds like the wheel is just about to fall off. I have also noticed that it usually only happens when the car is slowing down close to stopping. I have a theory for this, which I will explain later.

There is no jack in the car to lift up the wheel to see where the stone is trapped and you either need to try to free it by driving, sometimes several miles and causing damage by scoring the disc rotor, or call out the BMW breakdown service.

In many years of motoring in BMW's and several other brands of cars this is the first time I have ever experienced such a problem. I believe that there is a fundamental design flaw in the structure of the M40i brakes as I will explain below.

Most modern cars have disc brakes and they can develop a lot of heat so the manufacturers incorporate a metal shield right behind the brake rotor to prevent unwanted heat transfer to brake pipes, ball joints and other heat sensitive parts of the car. The shield is also there to prevent stones, debris, water and dirt getting into the brake assembly. Normally, this shield is bent over the top of the rotor to close off the gap where debris and stones can fall into the brake assembly. On the M40i both the front and rear metal shields do not bent over the rotors. In fact the front ones actually bend away from the rotor creating an even bigger gap for stones and debris to fall into the brake assembly. The gap is large enough for small stones and debris to pass through but anything larger than about 1cm (1/2”) in size is likely to get trapped, causing the problem that I am describing in this review.

In the UK, many of the roads are covered in stones washed up out of pot holes and decaying road surfaces so it is very difficult to avoid getting stones thrown up into the wheel arches of our cars. I have also noticed that the Z4 M40i is very prone to throwing up stones and this might have something to do with the 19" Michelin Pilot Super Sport Performance tyres. These two things are exacerbating the problem.

On examining the location of the brake rotors on the M40i it is difficult to understand how the stones are getting into the rotors as the wheel rims are extremely wide and the rotor assembly is near the centre of the rim. Also, the rotors are quite large in diameter so the space between the top of the rotor and wheel rim is quite small, making it very difficult for stones or debris to get thrown directly into the brake assembly.

My theory is that some stones are being thrown onto the wheel rims and the centrifugal force of the wheels rotating causes the stones to stay on the wheel rim until the car slows down at which point they fall down into the gap between the brake rotor and metal shield. Any stone or debris larger than about 1cm is likely to get trapped, particularly since the design of the metal shield does not prevent the stones and debris getting into the brake assembly as it should.

I believe that the problem outlined above is a design flaw in the Z4 M40i brakes and BMW should stand up and take responsibility and offer an immediate remedy for the affected cars. I have already requested my Dealer to take this issue up with BMW.

I would like to hear if any other Z4 G29 owners have had similar problems with their car.
      :headbang:

Has your local dealer or BMW not offered a resolution for this yet,Jim?
      Annoying that these things spoil enjoyment a bit,of a new and otherwise enjoyable car.

They must be able to make another shield that covers the top of the disc,as it should be?
      Why they chose to design it that way is anybody's guess?
      Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
      Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

craig3.2
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:39 pm

Jim S wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:55 pm I think I may have uncovered a design flaw in the M Sport brakes fitted to the new Z4 M40i and other Z4 G29 models fitted with the same brakes. Stones are far too easily getting trapped between the brake disc rotor and the metal heat/protector shield behind the rotor.

In the space of only a few weeks and 800 miles of taking delivery of my brand new Z4 M40i this problem has occurred four times. When it happens it sounds absolutely horrendous. The noise is a very loud high pitched squeal and it sounds like the wheel is just about to fall off. I have also noticed that it usually only happens when the car is slowing down close to stopping. I have a theory for this, which I will explain later.

There is no jack in the car to lift up the wheel to see where the stone is trapped and you either need to try to free it by driving, sometimes several miles and causing damage by scoring the disc rotor, or call out the BMW breakdown service.

In many years of motoring in BMW's and several other brands of cars this is the first time I have ever experienced such a problem. I believe that there is a fundamental design flaw in the structure of the M40i brakes as I will explain below.

Most modern cars have disc brakes and they can develop a lot of heat so the manufacturers incorporate a metal shield right behind the brake rotor to prevent unwanted heat transfer to brake pipes, ball joints and other heat sensitive parts of the car. The shield is also there to prevent stones, debris, water and dirt getting into the brake assembly. Normally, this shield is bent over the top of the rotor to close off the gap where debris and stones can fall into the brake assembly. On the M40i both the front and rear metal shields do not bent over the rotors. In fact the front ones actually bend away from the rotor creating an even bigger gap for stones and debris to fall into the brake assembly. The gap is large enough for small stones and debris to pass through but anything larger than about 1cm (1/2”) in size is likely to get trapped, causing the problem that I am describing in this review.

In the UK, many of the roads are covered in stones washed up out of pot holes and decaying road surfaces so it is very difficult to avoid getting stones thrown up into the wheel arches of our cars. I have also noticed that the Z4 M40i is very prone to throwing up stones and this might have something to do with the 19" Michelin Pilot Super Sport Performance tyres. These two things are exacerbating the problem.

On examining the location of the brake rotors on the M40i it is difficult to understand how the stones are getting into the rotors as the wheel rims are extremely wide and the rotor assembly is near the centre of the rim. Also, the rotors are quite large in diameter so the space between the top of the rotor and wheel rim is quite small, making it very difficult for stones or debris to get thrown directly into the brake assembly.

My theory is that some stones are being thrown onto the wheel rims and the centrifugal force of the wheels rotating causes the stones to stay on the wheel rim until the car slows down at which point they fall down into the gap between the brake rotor and metal shield. Any stone or debris larger than about 1cm is likely to get trapped, particularly since the design of the metal shield does not prevent the stones and debris getting into the brake assembly as it should.

I believe that the problem outlined above is a design flaw in the Z4 M40i brakes and BMW should stand up and take responsibility and offer an immediate remedy for the affected cars. I have already requested my Dealer to take this issue up with BMW.

I would like to hear if any other Z4 G29 owners have had similar problems with their car.
      :headbang:

Has your local dealer or BMW not offered a resolution for this yet,Jim?
      Annoying that these things spoil enjoyment a bit,of a new and otherwise enjoyable car.

They must be able to make another shield that covers the top of the disc,as it should be?
      Why they chose to design it that way is anybody's guess?

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:30 pm

Unfortunately the dealer cannot offer a solution without the approval of BMW and it appears that they are not willing to do anything about it due to the high cost of retrofitting the redesigned parts to all of the affected cars. It is not only the G29 that is affected, the G20 and possibly some other models have the same set up. :thumbsdown:

I tried my very best and escalated the issue with both BMW UK and BMW AG, without success. :headbang:
      Shame on BMW :thumbsdown:
      Last edited by Jim S on Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

John H100

Post by John H100 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:43 pm

We also have a 2019 Mini Cooper S and that has exactly the same design of shield, we had a stone stuck between the disc and sheild a few weeks ago, what a horrendous noise it made.

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:59 pm

John H100 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:43 pm We also have a 2019 Mini Cooper S and that has exactly the same design of shield, we had a stone stuck between the disc and sheild a few weeks ago, what a horrendous noise it made.
      Yes John H100, the noise is absolutely horrendous and so loud that it could wake the dead. :cry:

craig3.2
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:49 am

Jim S wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:30 pm Unfortunately the dealer cannot offer a solution without the approval of BMW and it appears that they are not willing to do anything about it due to the high cost of retrofitting the redesigned parts to all of the affected cars. It is not only the G29 that is affected, the G20 and possibly some other models have the same set up. :thumbsdown:

I have tried my very best to raise the issue with both BMW UK and BMW AG, without success. :headbang:
      Shame on BMW :thumbsdown:
      That's majorly disappointing on BMW's part.
      They really should be doing better.

They rarely admit things though, likewise other manufacturers,unless they really have to.
      LikeVW in the diesel scandal,lol.

BrianD

Post by BrianD » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:32 pm

I've had my zed since beginning of September, and I have just had my first stone jam :x . What a horrendous noise it makes, luckily I managed to clear it by reversing back and forward so no damage. What suprised me the most was that I wasn't going fast, only doing about 25mph at the time!
      70 plate Z4 M40i - Alphine White, Magma Red trim plus all the toys and an OAP behind the wheel :D
      Gone 62 Z4 35is sDrive Auto in white with 169K miles

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:48 pm

BrianD wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:32 pm I've had my zed since beginning of September, and I have just had my first stone jam :x . What a horrendous noise it makes, luckily I managed to clear it by reversing back and forward so no damage. What suprised me the most was that I wasn't going fast, only doing about 25mph at the time!
      My theory is that the stone gets onto the inside of the wheel rim and stays there, by centrifugal force, until the car slows at which time the stone drops down into the large gap between the brake disc and heat shield. This would explain why it only occurs when going slow. :thumbsdown:

climbbike

Post by climbbike » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:36 am

I test drove a Z4 M40i yesterday and this happened to me during the test drive. I pulled over to make sure the wheel wasn't falling off but figured it was a rock. When I looked at the heat shield, I thought the rock had got jammed and malformed it. What a horrible design. Looks like someone pounded it out with a sledge hammer. I checked the other side of the car though and it was the exact same so figured that is just how it is. Eventually I backed up and it did come out. Figured it was a 1 in a million chance of happening thing. After reading this, I guess it may happen to me again, since I bought the car!

john-e89
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:43 am

It wouldn’t be too difficult to make an ally plate to cover the top what...quarter or the disc I’d think to deflect a falling stone, the issue is attaching it. I keep wondering if the techs would make a note of 3 small holes drilled in the cars backplate and use it to void warranty even though it would have zero effect...? You’d remove the home fitted ‘shield’ prior to a service but it’s the holes that’s the problem. :?
      M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
      MR2 MK 2
      E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
      E89 35is
      G29