Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M40i brakes - design flaw uncovered

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:40 pm

Jim S wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:06 pm
john-e89 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:25 pm!!!!
Yes John, they are wriggly worms. I will remember this experience when I set out to purchase my next (new) car as I will be voting with my feet!!!
It’s a bloody shame Jim, it really is, knocks your duck right off doesn’t it. The amount being asked for new cars is plenty so if you do buy one you’d think they would be bending over backwards to sort the issue for the customer. Basically they don’t give two f**ks, wine and dine you to get your coin then you can go shove any complaint right up your arse once you’ve signed, after that you’re just a nuisance to them.

Sorry for the grief you’re having, first world problems maybe but it’s a hell of an outlay that takes a lot of work to acquire. Personally I’m done with BMW as far as new cars are concerned, never again, their service departments and attitude stink. :thumbsdown:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:11 pm

Yes John, couldn’t agree more. I have bought 7 new BMW’s in the past 14 years, all cash buys totalling about £300k. :?
I’m done with them as well now. :thumbsdown:

Gapsbm

Post by Gapsbm » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:15 am

Bit late coming to this one, but for what it's worth, I've had this happen when I've driven through deep water puddles, particularly if I've followed another car, or if I drive quicker through large ponding. I presume the gravel is disturbed circulating in the water then as you drive through its able to lodge in the brakes easier. As a result I always crawl through water now trying to reduce the turbulence.

Having said that your front heat shields are ridiculous, poor design. I doubt BMW warranty will cover the score marking you'll get on the discs, they will likely to claim its wear and tear Sir!

BUT...... silver lining...... if you get a better designed pair made you could then start a business selling them to other members. :thumbsup:

Good luck.

bonzo

Post by bonzo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:42 am

After four separate incidents of stones getting into the brake system I've decided to book the car in with BMW.

I want them to check for disc damage and, if there is any noticeable damage, tell me what they're going to do about it.

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:16 am

bonzo wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:42 am After four separate incidents of stones getting into the brake system I've decided to book the car in with BMW.

I want them to check for disc damage and, if there is any noticeable damage, tell me what they're going to do about it.
I can sympathise with you bonzo. It is a really horrible experience, the noise is incredibly loud and you don't know what damage it is causing to the brake disc. :thumbsdown:

It happened to me again (6th time, in 2,500 miles) last weekend and I called the BMW Emergency Services but they quoted 2 hours before someone could come. Ended up using the kit I had stored in the boot (scissor jack, extending wheel brace and 17mm socket) to fix it myself rather than driving to the dealer to get it removed. :x

Each time it happens, I send an email to my dealer asking him to record the details in the BMW system. I suggest that you do the same :x

The problem is the extremely poor design of the front brake disc shields as they are a magnet to attract and retain stones. I have taken this issue all the way up to BMW AG but they are not prepared to do anything until such time as they receive numerous complaints from owners. :headbang:

bonzo

Post by bonzo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:23 pm

Jim,

Is it definitely just the front brakes? I can't really tell as all I can hear is a mobile brass band with a Banshee as a lead singer emanating from the side of the car :D

I've called BMW central on two occasions for this now so hopefully they'll be building up a list of affected owners - or maybe not.

Cheers!

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:14 pm

Yes bonzo, I think it is mainly the front brakes that have the problem. If you look at the photos that I posted earlier (page 3) in this thread you will see the reason for this, i.e. the very poor design of the front brake disc shields. :thumbsdown:

I have found it very difficult to tell which wheel the noise is coming from when inside the car by myself. However, on all of the occasions when the stone did not, eventually, come out after moving back and forward and driving for a while it has proven to be the front brakes that had the problem. :headbang:

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:37 pm

Hi, I had this once, stopped the car and reversed, the stone dropped out and off again. Glad you have highlighted with BMW.

FactionV

Post by FactionV » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:01 pm

Same happened to me this weekend, sounded terrible, heard a ping while manoeuvring onto drive and the screeching stopped. The disc looks fine on the outside but no idea of the mess on the inside. Reported to local BMW, they've not heard of it, but from what I've read there's a growing number of people reporting this.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:14 pm

I had a test drive of an M40i and it happened in the first 20miles!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:42 pm

FactionV wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:01 pm Same happened to me this weekend, sounded terrible, heard a ping while manoeuvring onto drive and the screeching stopped. The disc looks fine on the outside but no idea of the mess on the inside. Reported to local BMW, they've not heard of it, but from what I've read there's a growing number of people reporting this.
I don’t understand why dealers are saying that they don’t know about this problem as several owners have been reporting this to their local dealer for months. My dealer opened a “Technical Case” with BMW UK in June 2019 and this was forwarded to BMW AG for review. My dealer was asked by BMW AG to put my car on the ramp, wheels removed, and take photographs and measurements for their technical investigation. So BMW are very well aware of the problem :headbang:

I also wrote to the BMW UK Managing Director, enclosing my own photographs which highlighted the poor design of the front MSport disc brake heat shields. It is clearly evident from the photographs the reason for this problem. :thumbsdown:

Each time this happens to me I report it to my dealer by email with instructions to record the event. Presumably, my dealer then updates the “Technical Case” accordingly. :fuelfire:

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:42 pm

Jim S wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:42 pm Each time this happens to me I report it to my dealer by email with instructions to record the event. Presumably, my dealer then updates the “Technical Case” accordingly. :fuelfire:
Or files it in the ”We’ve never heard of that Sir’’ bin

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:13 pm

So far I have yet to experience this issue, but am holding my breath as I guess it's just a matter of time before it happens to mine :cry:
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:24 pm

DPG wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:42 pm
Jim S wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:42 pm Each time this happens to me I report it to my dealer by email with instructions to record the event. Presumably, my dealer then updates the “Technical Case” accordingly. :fuelfire:
You may well be correct, probably easier to bin it rather than go through the motions of opening the case file and updating it. Must confront my dealer to ask him if he updated the file each time I emailed him???

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:47 pm

Jim S wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:24 pm
DPG wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:42 pm
You may well be correct, probably easier to bin it rather than go through the motions of opening the case file and updating it. Must confront my dealer to ask him if he updated the file each time I emailed him???
Call his bluff and ask to see the file
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)