Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M40i brakes - design flaw uncovered

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:30 pm

ronk wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:03 pm
Jim S wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:53 pm I asked my dealer if I could have the heat shields removed as they are not really necessary unless you are on the race track or driving the car very hard, causing the disks to really heat up. The dealer was not too keen to remove them. :thumbsdown:
However, I told the dealer that if I keep getting stones trapped in the brakes that I might insist on having the shields removed. So far I have not reached that point yet, but I won’t discount that option in the future. :headbang:
I think I would be more tempted to go into a Toyota dealership and discuss your options with them ?

If the Toyota part is fitted and the stone trap problem goes away, you’ll have a big stick to hit them with!
I was thinking along the same sort of lines but more as a stick to bear BMW with. If the Toyota brakes are basically BMW ones, have different shields but no issues then it proves the issue is with the G29 shields and you want a resolution

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:32 pm

Jim S wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:06 pm
    ronk wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:03 pm
    Jim S wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:53 pm I asked my dealer if I could have the heat shields removed as they are not really necessary unless you are on the race track or driving the car very hard, causing the disks to really heat up. The dealer was not too keen to remove them. :thumbsdown:
    However, I told the dealer that if I keep getting stones trapped in the brakes that I might insist on having the shields removed. So far I have not reached that point yet, but I won’t discount that option in the future. :headbang:
    I think I would be more tempted to go into a Toyota dealership and discuss your options with them ?
    I would want the work done under warranty. :driving:
    I agree even if that includes fitting Toyota parts to solve your issue :thumbsup: it’s a £50k car FFS!!!

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:30 am

Well my niece popped up to see me in her new 5 Series x-drive and it was making a hell of racket from one of the back wheels. I suspected that it was the same issue thats been experienced here and its just come back from our local BMW dealership and yes it was a stuck stone.

craig3.2
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:35 pm

Zed Baron wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:30 am Well my niece popped up to see me in her new 5 Series x-drive and it was making a hell of racket from one of the back wheels. I suspected that it was the same issue thats been experienced here and its just come back from our local BMW dealership and yes it was a stuck stone.

Sounds like BMW's current design of the brake guard on a few models is flawed
      Oh dear :headbang:
      Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
      Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Sladester100

Post by Sladester100 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:44 pm

Hey peeps

I’m back in this thread! Yay.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to remove a stone that is well and truly stuck? Or is it a case of calling BMW Recovery?

After leaving for work and getting 2 miles from home a squeal appeared - worse than last time! - it’s in the O/S/F wheel; I tried to dislodge with back and forth but nothing, got quite aggressive with my braking and even resorted to riding the “cats eyes” on my way back home on an older road where they’re big to see if the vibration helped

I then tried to flex the shield slightly (burning my fingers on the red hot rotor after my aggressive braking attempts) and I think I can see it with my phone camera right at the base being held in but can’t fathom how to remove.

Unless I take the wheel off? - where’s the jacking points? 😅
      F30 320d ED Melbourne Metallic, Vis Pack, Dakota Leather, & Other Goodies :thumsup:
      G29 M40i First Edition Frozen Orange :cool:

ronk
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:55 pm

Sladester100 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:44 pm Hey peeps

Does anyone have any other suggestions to remove a stone that is well and truly stuck? Or is it a case of calling BMW Recovery?

After leaving for work and getting 2 miles from home a squeal appeared - worse than last time! - it’s in the O/S/F wheel; I tried to dislodge with back and forth but nothing, got quite aggressive with my braking and even resorted to riding the “cats eyes” on my way back home on an older road where they’re big to see if the vibration helped

I then tried to flex the shield slightly (burning my fingers on the red hot rotor after my aggressive braking attempts) and I think I can see it with my phone camera right at the base being held in but can’t fathom how to remove.

The more calls to BMW Recovery Services with this problem the better!
      Last edited by ronk on Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
      You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
      So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Obs-Com

Post by Obs-Com » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:08 pm

High pressure washer with the wheels on full lock could allow slightly easier access and possibly dislodge the stone.
      2011-14: E89 2.3sDrive
      2014-16: E89 35is - Valencia Orange X2 (gone but not forgotten)
      2016-17: F33 440i
      2017-17: E85 2.5si
      2017-19: F87 M2 - Long Beach Blue DCT (Stunning)
      2019-23: G29 M40i First Edition (more stunning than the M2)
      2023-??: G23 M440i

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:02 pm

Sladester100 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:44 pm Hey peeps

I’m afraid the wheel needs to come off. You will also need a long screwdriver or something similar to dig out the stone. The jack points are plastic rectangular (holes) near to each wheel under the car. You can buy a special jacking point adapter on Amazon that fits the holes. I keep one in the car.
      Good luck. :driving:

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:08 pm

Here a photo of the BMW/Mini jacking adapter. :thumbsup:
      F12F4D48-D7C6-4826-95DA-797E02D95E42.jpeg
      F12F4D48-D7C6-4826-95DA-797E02D95E42.jpeg (71.1 KiB) Viewed 2316 times

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:44 pm

Sladester100: It has happened to me six times now. BMW emergency services is a waste of time. Can take 2-3 hours for them to turn up and then all they want to do is take you home. :thumbsdown:

I now carry a scissor jack with extending wheel brace, 17mm socket and jacking adapter in the boot so that I am able to take the wheel off and do the job myself if I am not near a BMW/Mini dealer. Prevents being stranded for hours or running around with the car sounding like a “ banshee” :headbang:

Sladester100

Post by Sladester100 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:29 pm

Jim S wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:44 pm Sladester100: It has happened to me six times now. BMW emergency services is a waste of time. Can take 2-3 hours for them to turn up and then all they want to do is take you home. :thumbsdown:

I now carry a scissor jack with extending wheel brace, 17mm socket and jacking adapter in the boot so that I am able to take the wheel off and do the job myself if I am not near a BMW/Mini dealer. Prevents being stranded for hours or running around with the car sounding like a “ banshee” :headbang:
      This is so tedious

My biggest worry is causing damage to the disc. I’m sure the risk is low but still.

The car is on the drive so I don’t mind waiting for them to come out to prove a point and at least have it logged perhaps. Also I don’t have a adaptor (yet)

Thanks for the replies peeps!

Here’s the stone ;)
      Disc on the left heat shield on the right
      9A119B9E-793D-4194-A13E-DFF60435CF6E.jpeg
      9A119B9E-793D-4194-A13E-DFF60435CF6E.jpeg (20.5 KiB) Viewed 2305 times
      F30 320d ED Melbourne Metallic, Vis Pack, Dakota Leather, & Other Goodies :thumsup:

ori

Post by ori » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:04 pm

So after 4000 miles of driving it happened to my m40i

I heard the stone drop into the disc. Made a horrible noise. I pulled over straight away. Reversed a bit and it popped straight out. Guess I was lucky.

Ledg

Post by Ledg » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:32 pm

Got my first stone in the brakes today. Reversed down my friends drive (he’s a farmer not a super posh house) that’s a mile long but it still didn’t come out. Lucky it came out a mile down the road again driving forward. I recorded a video so ill send it to my local Bmw garage to complain.

Sladester100

Post by Sladester100 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:58 pm

Since my last post in March, it has happened another two times!

Once horrendously at work, recovery came out, send a local non bmw recovery compay bloke
      He was useless. Told me he wasn’t allowed to take the wheel off and he needed to recover me. After some arguments and phone calls the wheel was off and it was dislodged (with a screwdriver!). Second time was just driving through a friends estate and picked up a tiny stone which span round and immediately lodged
      Again recovery called - ravenscote motors mechanic sent this time - very nice, listened to my story (and stories of before), asked if I’d done the back and forth and hard brake, then said; I’ll get my jack…

I am so bored of this. I then booked it into the dealer for a full wheel removal and examination as there is now a constant squeak and it was potentially pulling slightly on braking hard.
      No faults or damage found. Told there was no replacement part as yet but they would log my 3 most recent issues.

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:09 pm

I feel for you as it has happened to me six times now. Horrible experience. I don’t think BMW have any intention of coming up with a retrofit solution as the same style of M Sport brakes are fitted to several other series models.
      All you can do is report it to your dealer and book the car in for examination, otherwise BMW HO will never hear about it. :headbang:
      Last edited by Jim S on Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.