Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

rough ride and jerky braking

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:56 pm

Had my 2.0 Sport for about 6 months now and I don't notice any braking issues now.

Maybe they bedded in or I got used to it!
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

bonzo

Post by bonzo » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:55 am

Beeacon wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:19 pm
mr wilks wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:53 pm
Kimz4 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:57 am

nowhere near the crashy ride of my old e89 msport. It’s firm but complaint, and I don't wince when I see a pot hole coming!
Ive covered a fair few miles in 3 different E89s.
23i se
35i Msport & lowered with H&Rs
35is adaptive ride.

Can't ever recall thoughts in any of them of "crashy ride" :?
When mine was on Runflat rubber I was terrified of potholes! Really crashy (though I have just found a broken rear coil spring so that could be the culprit).
Ah, pot holes and run flats. I've already had the pleasure of parting with £800 for a new front wheel on my G29 thanks to a pot hole.

Samiad

Post by Samiad » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:21 pm

I picked up my s30i a few days ago and I'm experiencing the same jerky behaviour when braking to a standstill, as the car changes down through the gears (even in comfort mode). The more gentle/gradual I am with the brakes, the more pronounced the engine braking disrupts the deceleration (i.e. if I brake late and hard the jerkiness is masked somewhat, but then you get a pretty aggressive/disruptive weight shift due to the heavier braking!).

I've only got 100 miles on the car so I'm hoping the car will settle down as everything breaks in, but in the meantime I'll notify my dealer (just to get a record of it) and see how it goes.

millview22

Post by millview22 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:40 pm

Try disabling automatic hold...
2023 BMW Z4 G29 sDrive 20i M sport in Thundernight
2020 BMW S1000 XR TE, ice grey

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:50 pm

dr_john wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:44 pm
I did notice some vibration and steering issues yesterday and then discovered that I have Land Departure Warning which occurs when crossing a white line at speed, unless the indicators are used. I didn't know that I had got it! It can only be turned off for the duration of the current journey.
How high were you jumping it before ethe land departure warning went off? :lol:
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:46 am

Ed Doe wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:50 pm
dr_john wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:44 pm
I did notice some vibration and steering issues yesterday and then discovered that I have Land Departure Warning which occurs when crossing a white line at speed, unless the indicators are used. I didn't know that I had got it! It can only be turned off for the duration of the current journey.
How high were you jumping it before ethe land departure warning went off? :lol:
Predictive text, don’t you just love it :o
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

ronfredwood

Post by ronfredwood » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:08 am

I agree Samiad. Driven 1k miles and no improvement. The brakes seem to 'stick' even with the lightest touch when coming to a stop. Eco-mode with less aggressive gear changes helps slightly but it is definitely the brakes causing the problem.
Med Blue sdrive 2.0i sport

Samiad

Post by Samiad » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:40 am

I got my hopes up that it could be the auto-hold (I've been using it since day 1) but I could not observe any difference in feel whether auto-hold was enabled or disabled.

Agree that eco-mode is smoother, noticeably.

I don't agree this is caused by the brakes though - it feels 100% engine braking related to me. When the transmission decides to drop down a gear it seems unable to rev match adequately to prevent the jerking (also the reason why it is worse in sport mode as the revs are kept higher in that mode increasing the jerkiness).

Here's a simple test to see if it's related to engine braking. Try this on a quiet piece of road and recreate the gradual slowing to a standstill - but instead of applying the brakes as usual and getting the jerky engine braking, knock the gear stick into neutral and then start braking. No downshifting, and no jerkiness (assuming you can keep slight and consistent pressure on the brake pedal until stopped).