Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

G29 in Winter

Discussing the current generation Z4
Ian J

G29 in Winter

Post by Ian J » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:54 am

My last four cars have all been BMWs with X Drive four wheel drive and as I live in a close with no through traffic and the drive is a slight incline down to the house that four wheel drive has come in handy on occasions.

Now that I have the junior Zed with 2.0 engine and rear wheel drive I am getting a bit nervous about what winter could bring bearing in mind that it's my daily driver.

I see that many of you garage your Zeds over Winter and use your other car which is an option that I don't have. Do any of you risk it with the summer tyres or do you change over to Winter rubber.

I don't really want to fork out a few thousand on winter wheels and tyres if I only keep the car for a couple of winters so if I have to go down the route of tyre changes I may look at keeping the same wheels and using one of these tyre hotels who will garage my summer tyres for the winter

Any thoughts?

BeeEmm

G29 in Winter

Post by BeeEmm » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:02 pm

Keep your drive well gritted and salted when you think there will be a frost or snow. Also, park it near the top of the drive, just before the pavement and you should be OK. Remember that winter tyres are not designed for snow and ice, their purpose is to shift larger volumes of water below 7 degrees and will grip better below that temperature.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

tiglon

G29 in Winter

Post by tiglon » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:14 pm

I've driven a RWD mid engine car as a daily through the winter and never changed to winter tyres, never had a problem. Also driven them through the alps during ski season and again, no problems. Admittedly, you need to take it very very slowly round corners when there's 2 inches of snow on the road but I doubt you'd be planting your foot to the floor in a Xdrive either. I drove my current Z home via Yorkshire, which included periods of heavy snow and very heavy rain - yes, I had to keep to a sensible 60 or so, but it never stepped out of line even for a second.

On the other hand, I drove a 3 series Xdrive in Sweden and got stuck on a slightly muddy hill road.

I reckon you'll be OK.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

G29 in Winter

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:28 pm

Ian, I used my Z4 throughout the year but not as a daily. But I also have a RWD 3 series as my daily, and have had for 5 yrs. I’ve never changed the tyres from summers once and I’d imagine I get much colder weather here than you do.

Only once did I get caught out in the snow but it was exceptional circumstances and I’m not sure many other cars would’ve coped any better in that situation. As suggested, keep your drive cleared/prepped and drive according to weather conditions when/if the weather turns :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

bonzo

G29 in Winter

Post by bonzo » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:33 pm

I was caught out by light snow (an inch at most) earlier this year and can safely say that the G29 was a pretty shocking drive.

F1SpaceMonkey

G29 in Winter

Post by F1SpaceMonkey » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:55 pm

Fit Michelin cross climate 2 tyres if you live in cold and wet area of the UK, full winters if you see a lot of snow. but watch this video also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBGNU_8mBlw&t=909s

Ian J

G29 in Winter

Post by Ian J » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:16 pm

Thanks all. I still have a couple of months in which to mull it over with luck

N4LLY

G29 in Winter

Post by N4LLY » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:03 pm

I have had snow socks in the boot for three years, never used them.

If if does snow bad, then will have a snow day and work from home.

If i do need to get out for any reason (unlikely) , then i'll call a taxi and let him crash/damage his car. :wink:

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

sars
    Lifer
    Lifer

G29 in Winter

Post by sars » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:52 pm

BeeEmm wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:02 pm Keep your drive well gritted and salted when you think there will be a frost or snow. Also, park it near the top of the drive, just before the pavement and you should be OK. Remember that winter tyres are not designed for snow and ice, their purpose is to shift larger volumes of water below 7 degrees and will grip better below that temperature.
    Er, was that a typo? winter tyres with the three mountain logo and snowflake are specifically designed to use on snow and ice, this logo can also be found on most all season tyres too, for your pleasure

As for the OP, depending on what size of wheel you’ve gone for, all season tyres for winter is a good option
    Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
    Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

ori

G29 in Winter

Post by ori » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:00 pm

Where in the country do you live?
    I’m in London and have no issues through the years with zeds.

I will say that if it’s snowing, I don’t drive it as I don’t have winter tyres.

If you live in Scotland though……might be different.

BeeEmm

G29 in Winter

Post by BeeEmm » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:43 pm

sars wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:52 pm
    BeeEmm wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:02 pm Keep your drive well gritted and salted when you think there will be a frost or snow. Also, park it near the top of the drive, just before the pavement and you should be OK. Remember that winter tyres are not designed for snow and ice, their purpose is to shift larger volumes of water below 7 degrees and will grip better below that temperature.
    Er, was that a typo? winter tyres with the three mountain logo and snowflake are specifically designed to use on snow and ice, this logo can also be found on most all season tyres too, for your pleasure

As for the OP, depending on what size of wheel you’ve gone for, all season tyres for winter is a good option
    Not sure of your point Sars. We seem to agree. You mention 'Snow' tyres which are different and are indeed designed for snow and ice.

Z4monster

G29 in Winter

Post by Z4monster » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:19 pm

Having had 6 Z4 over the different models I can honestly say that I've got stuck twice in that time due to the weather. Both times have been exceptional snow fall and a lack of gritters through our main road. Not many cars went out that day regardless of their tyres or model. The rest of the time I just take my time in bad weather and use my best judgement. Never had anything other than stock tyres during all those years.

sars
    Lifer
    Lifer

G29 in Winter

Post by sars » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:20 pm

BeeEmm wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:43 pm
    sars wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:52 pm

Not sure of your point Sars. We seem to agree. You mention 'Snow' tyres which are different and are indeed designed for snow and ice.
    Sorry you stated that winter tyres are not designed for snow and ice, which is incorrect. In fact you cannot class a tyre as a winter tyre without the three mountain and snowflake symbol attached
    Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
    Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

BeeEmm

G29 in Winter

Post by BeeEmm » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:56 pm

sars wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:20 pm Sorry you stated that winter tyres are not designed for snow and ice, which is incorrect. In fact you cannot class a tyre as a winter tyre without the three mountain and snowflake symbol attached
    Sars, thanks for clarifying.

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

G29 in Winter

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:15 pm

I got caught out years ago in my 1 Series that was hopeless on snow on any sort of incline.

So the last 6 years I have fitted winter tyres to my 3 Series' just in case! But I only really needed them once when we got the "Beast from the East" and they were fantastic. Plus they are better on those cold drizzly days we get so often.

I've no idea what wheel sizes and offsets are on a G29 but you might find a set for sale - even if you only managed to find some suitable wheels it would work out much cheaper than buying wheels and tyres new.

For example I bought a set of 18" wheels with Falken winters fitted on here for my 2nd Coupe in 2017 for £350 - but I couldn't bring myself to subject it to those conditions!
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black