Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Convertible top operation while moving?

Discussing the current generation Z4
sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:16 pm

ronk wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:49 pm
sars wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:57 pm
rdm05z4 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:52 pm I know these cars were designed to raise / drop the top below stated speeds. However, I make sure I am stopped before any top action. Even if I have to pull to side of road. This is just my OCD as don't want to take a chance of the top over time to possible issues because of top uses while driving. For those that wish to drive and lower / raise top while moving I have no ill will towards. This is just a post on the way I operate my top.
No criticism of your choice, though trust the Engineer :thumbsup:

As an aside to the OP there’s no air speed indicator so wind speed is excluded from the equation, if it were me I’d add a simple strain gauge to a strut and if the stresses exceed a specified limit I would sound a bong to give warning and reduce speed etcetera
Or a Pitot tube linked to prevent any movement?
:lol:
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Ian J

Post by Ian J » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:41 am

Scubaregs wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:26 pm I don't think there is any issue raising/lowering the roof at the speed its allowed to do so,
It worked fine when I slowed down to 30mph to raise the roof as it had started to pour with rain

ori

Post by ori » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:02 am

I found it. Seriously worrying about wind speed is pointless.

During one of the tests, the test driver ventured out to assess the strength of the fabric roof and all the support that is holding it in place. I AM NOT JOKING. The roof opened, although, it was actually very close to getting ripped off.

Now, I am not saying that you should attempt this at home, but this serves as a testament to the incredible BMW quality process that should ensure the longevity of the Z4. I mean, I haven’t heard about a fabric roof opening at 110 mph ever before. Let alone about the roof surviving such an incredible feat.

Apparently, everything worked perfectly afterward, without any rips, or any structure collapse. Astonishing!

For civilized people, the opening/closing mechanism will work up to 31 mph with the whole process taking only 10 seconds.

Ian J

Post by Ian J » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:16 am

ori wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:02 am
During one of the tests, the test driver ventured out to assess the strength of the fabric roof and all the support that is holding it in place. I AM NOT JOKING. The roof opened, although, it was actually very close to getting ripped off.

Now, I am not saying that you should attempt this at home, but this serves as a testament to the incredible BMW quality process that should ensure the longevity of the Z4. I mean, I haven’t heard about a fabric roof opening at 110 mph ever before. Let alone about the roof surviving such an incredible feat.

How does one handle a car at 110 mph with what is effectively a sail on top when the roof is half way open

Yorkshire_Z4M40i

Post by Yorkshire_Z4M40i » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:48 am

Ian J wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:16 am
ori wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:02 am

How does one handle a car at 110 mph with what is effectively a sail on top when the roof is half way open
I reckon the additional weight of the driver's MASSIVE BALLS helps anchor the car to the road, whilst pulling a stunt like that! :rofl:
Current: Z4 M40i in Misano Blue - All packs & full Xpel PPF fitted

Fondly remembered: VW Golf R DSG in Limestone Grey, BMW 220D M Sport in Black Sapphire & Mercedes A200 AMG Night Edition in South Sea Blue

Definitely forgotten: A few clangers 😅

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:41 pm

ori wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:02 am I found it. Seriously worrying about wind speed is pointless.

............ I mean, I haven’t heard about a fabric roof opening at 110 mph ever before. Let alone about the roof surviving such an incredible feat.

Uh, I'll believe that when I see it, not just read about it..... :wink:
2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Misano Blue, Premium, Leather
Need more curves in west Tennessee!

ori

Post by ori » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:40 pm

My point was that if BMW allow you to open the roof at 31mph then I guarantee you they tested it and engineered it to be able to open at double that speed.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:24 pm

ori wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:40 pm My point was that if BMW allow you to open the roof at 31mph then I guarantee you they tested it and engineered it to be able to open at double that speed.
Without a doubt :thumbsup:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: