Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Remaps, Plug-ins and other modifications...

Discussing the current generation Z4
Yorkshire_Z4M40i

Post by Yorkshire_Z4M40i » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:22 am

I was wondering if anyone out there has looked at or undertaken any engine/performance modifications on their Z4's? I like the pace of my m40i, but it kinda of bugs me that I know the US market got more horsepower then we did in the UK... I think I'd like to tap into that extra fun juice if at all possible! 😂

I've been looking at what's available, but can only really see a few plug in chip type thingys (technical speak I know sorry), from the likes of AC Schnitzer and Race Chip. The former seems to be BMW approved, but cost around 4k. The latter is about £400, but not approved I'm guessing. I think the AC Schnitzer one also gets a warranty with it for three years or so, covering engine and drive train - I'm guessing that's how they came up with 4k haha.

Anyone got any thoughts or experience on tuneing/modifying thier car please?

Cheers 👍

P.s. I did search the forum for similar threads, but didn't find anything. Apologies though if this type of question has been answered before and I've missed it. Ta.
Current: Z4 M40i in Misano Blue - All packs & full Xpel PPF fitted

Fondly remembered: VW Golf R DSG in Limestone Grey, BMW 220D M Sport in Black Sapphire & Mercedes A200 AMG Night Edition in South Sea Blue

Definitely forgotten: A few clangers 😅

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:48 am

Can't help you specifically, but I would consider any BMW warranty you have first, as remaps etc would likely invalidate that.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Yorkshire_Z4M40i

Post by Yorkshire_Z4M40i » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:22 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:48 am Can't help you specifically, but I would consider any BMW warranty you have first, as remaps etc would likely invalidate that.
Yeah that's definitely something I'm thinking about too, as it is a important consideration/risk to factor in. I read though that AC Schnitzer are BMW approved, so it doesn't invalidate the manufacturer warranty and runs in conjunction with thier own warranty too - I would definitely want to speak with BMW about that first though! 😅

Fondly remembered: VW Golf R DSG in Limestone Grey, BMW 220D M Sport in Black Sapphire & Mercedes A200 AMG Night Edition in South Sea Blue

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:32 pm

Have a look at jws just off j29a M1
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Yorkshire_Z4M40i

Post by Yorkshire_Z4M40i » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:35 pm

markplant wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:32 pm Have a look at jws just off j29a M1
Thanks for that, much appreciated and I'll take a look. Cheers 👍

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:40 pm

I looked at this too and the only way to keep warranty in place is AC Schnitzer part. Anything else will give them a get out clause for any drivetrain/engine problem.

Don’t know if you looked but they do a pretty tasty, and expensive :cry:, line in exhausts, the M40i’s sounds :thumbsup:

https://shop.ac-schnitzer.co.uk/ac-schn ... 9931-p.asp

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Yorkshire_Z4M40i

Post by Yorkshire_Z4M40i » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:17 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:40 pm I looked at this too and the only way to keep warranty in place is AC Schnitzer part. Anything else will give them a get out clause for any drivetrain/engine problem.

Don’t know if you looked but they do a pretty tasty, and expensive :cry:, line in exhausts, the M40i’s sounds :thumbsup:

Aww I was starting to think the same... Looks like AC Schnitzer are the only option then, if you don't want to risk invalidating your BMW warranty. I've been eyeing up all the AC bits to be honest yeah 😆, but getting thier full kit is around 16k 👀😫 The chip, suspension and exhaust bits are a pretty healthy amount in thier own rights too though. I don't mind the stock sound really, but I do like the idea of around 400bhp instead of the 335/40/50bhp (read different accounts) we get in the UK 😜

john-e89
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:23 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:40 pm I looked at this too and the only way to keep warranty in place is AC Schnitzer part. Anything else will give them a get out clause for any drivetrain/engine problem.

Any thoughts of mods yourself Andy…? The lure of an exhaust is strong…. :roll:
    M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
    MR2 MK 2
    E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
    E89 35is
    G29

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:04 pm

Yorkshire_Z4M40i wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:17 pm

Aww I was starting to think the same... Looks like AC Schnitzer are the only option then, if you don't want to risk invalidating your BMW warranty. I've been eyeing up all the AC bits to be honest yeah 😆, but getting thier full kit is around 16k 👀😫 The chip, suspension and exhaust bits are a pretty healthy amount in thier own rights too though. I don't mind the stock sound really, but I do like the idea of around 400bhp instead of the 335/40/50bhp (read different accounts) we get in the UK 😜
    The whole chip thing seems like a bit of a con. When I looked into it the explanation I was given is it’s so expensive because they switch the whole ecu out, which also gives you a resale item but not anywhere near recovering your costs I’d imagine.

I have to say personally I’m quite happy with the suspension. I gave it some proper stick on a very twisty part of the Oban road on Sunday and not once felt it wanting. The only issue I had was my green faced passenger :sick2: who also commented about how well it handled given the rate we were moving at :oops:

The whole package is expensive but if you want upgrades and to stay in warranty it looks like this is the only way to go.

I would be interested for someone to get theirs on a rolling road, none close to me unfortunately, to find out what the actual power output is because coming straight from a 35iS to the M40i it states on paper they’re practically identical, from the drivers seat I’m not feeling that to be true. Even after a days test drive I said I thought the power had been understated for some reason. Caught a couple of articles, which I can’t find again :headbang: where a few these were rolling roaded as stock and the figures for the 3 cars were between 368-382. If these are correct the AC mod is even more expensive for the small increase to 400

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 pm

john-e89 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:23 pm

John, at the moment I’m undecided. Previously the AC site had a handful of sound clip of the exhausts in different modes. That’s what I was looking for to link but it doesn’t seem to be there. I know Ori and I had listened to, and discussed these previously.

As said in my previous post I’d be interested to see what the stock figures actually are, nit just the declared/stated.

Overall I’m pretty happy with the car. Due to other issues I’ve just not had time to sit and play with everything and try everything out and play with the settings.

The thoughts I’m currently having is I would seriously consider ordering another one as a replacement but with the AC performance parts if all of the above was investigated more re gains etc, but then when you start putting that money into one the words GTS 4.0 start becoming louder in my head :evil: but that’s a whole other conversation well maybe have over that drink we’ll arrange :thumbsup:

Yorkshire_Z4M40i

Post by Yorkshire_Z4M40i » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:26 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:04 pm
        Yorkshire_Z4M40i wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:17 pm

The whole chip thing seems like a bit of a con. When I looked into it the explanation I was given is it’s so expensive because they switch the whole ecu out, which also gives you a resale item but not anywhere near recovering your costs I’d imagine.

I have to say personally I’m quite happy with the suspension. I gave it some proper stick on a very twisty part of the Oban road on Sunday and not once felt it wanting. The only issue I had was my green faced passenger :sick2: who also commented about how well it handled given the rate we were moving at :oops:

The whole package is expensive but if you want upgrades and to stay in warranty it looks like this is the only way to go.

I would be interested for someone to get theirs on a rolling road, none close to me unfortunately, to find out what the actual power output is because coming straight from a 35iS to the M40i it states on paper they’re practically identical, from the drivers seat I’m not feeling that to be true. Even after a days test drive I said I thought the power had been understated for some reason. Caught a couple of articles, which I can’t find again :headbang: where a few these were rolling roaded as stock and the figures for the 3 cars were between 368-382. If these are correct the AC mod is even more expensive for the small increase to 400
        Yes you make some solid points here... Especially regarding true output seen on a rolling road. I do sometimes get the feeling it's got a little more horsepower then then BMW state, but then cant get that nagging feeling to stop, that I could have more haha. Especially because of the stated differences between the US and UK versions, even though it's the same B58 engine, etc.

Also I recently saw a video by a well known online car reviewer (it has "Car" in the name followed by a word that rhymes with "How"), where they drag raced one of ours against a Supra, and ours got absolutely spanked! They say they have the same power, but the reviewer said the Supra definitely had more than the 340 declared. Needless to say, that didn't help with the nagging feeling one bit either! haha

As for suspension, I reckon you're right to be fair... Its not bad at all really... I've only had one or two moments in a bend with slightly bumpy tarmac, where it's not felt as locked down as I'd like, enough to push through and power out of it... But then again, a lot of cars in this price bracket and power band probably wouldn't do any better either. And I'm pretty sure the Z4 M40i beat the M2's time around the Nurburgring too, so that's saying something performance and handling wise I guess.

Soooooo what I think we both need here, is for you to get the upgrades installed and then if they are any good, I'll get them too... Hos that sound? Haha :rofl:

john-e89
        Lifer
        Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:22 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 pm
        john-e89 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:23 pm

John, at the moment I’m undecided. Previously the AC site had a handful of sound clip of the exhausts in different modes. That’s what I was looking for to link but it doesn’t seem to be there. I know Ori and I had listened to, and discussed these previously.

As said in my previous post I’d be interested to see what the stock figures actually are, nit just the declared/stated.

Overall I’m pretty happy with the car. Due to other issues I’ve just not had time to sit and play with everything and try everything out and play with the settings.

The thoughts I’m currently having is I would seriously consider ordering another one as a replacement but with the AC performance parts if all of the above was investigated more re gains etc, but then when you start putting that money into one the words GTS 4.0 start becoming louder in my head :evil: but that’s a whole other conversation well maybe have over that drink we’ll arrange :thumbsup:
        I’m happy with the power tbh Andy, no need for any more personally, it’s just a tad quiet is all.

Not the time as you say to start on the GTS 4.0….had a day in one a few weeks ago….kinda wish I hadn’t…. :roll:
        MR2 MK 2
        E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
        E89 35is
        G29

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:36 pm

The B58 engine in the M40i is the successor to the N55 which followed on from the N54.

Tuning wise its relatively easy to get another 50 bhp+ from these engines with yet more torque..most re-mappers are offering these sorts of gains without any obvious penalities..of course your warranty is fully invalid and these days BMW knows exactly what you've done to their babies..

Serious levels of tuning required major modifications so probably not cost effective but if you think £4k for a tuning box is good value then.. :rofl:

Yorkshire_Z4M40i

Post by Yorkshire_Z4M40i » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:13 pm

Pbondar wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:36 pm The B58 engine in the M40i is the successor to the N55 which followed on from the N54.

Tuning wise its relatively easy to get another 50 bhp+ from these engines with yet more torque..most re-mappers are offering these sorts of gains without any obvious penalities..of course your warranty is fully invalid and these days BMW knows exactly what you've done to their babies..

Serious levels of tuning required major modifications so probably not cost effective but if you think £4k for a tuning box is good value then.. :rofl:
        Yeah that's it, a pretty straightforward re map or none approved chip with modest gains is definitely more than possible, but is just not worth it (for me) from a warranty prospective. The AC chip cost is definitely daft for sure, but I guess they are making you pay for the peace of mind warranty wise... Even though the gains their chip provides is well within tolerances for the engine and drivetrain, which is a bit cheeky in my book considering the US market pretty much gets that performance as standard and for "free".

I'm tempted to book some rolling road time like Andy said, as it may show a pleasant surprise in the end. Or just wait for the warranty to end (aww man)... and then fiddle about with it if it's still with me haha

But also Andy and John have now got me thinking that maybe I'm missing out on sound too, which I hadn't really thought about before (as I dont mind it in Sport Plus). I've seen Remus, Akrapovich and AC Snitzzledodah have options.... hmmm I wonder if I need one in my life :roll:

john-e89
        Lifer
        Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:19 pm

Without being insulting are you chasing numbers or really do want more grunt Yorkshire..?
        MR2 MK 2
        E89 35is
        G29