Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Remaps, Plug-ins and other modifications...

Discussing the current generation Z4
Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:26 pm

Yorkshire_Z4M40i wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:26 pm
Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:04 pm
Yorkshire_Z4M40i wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:17 pm

Aww I was starting to think the same... Looks like AC Schnitzer are the only option then, if you don't want to risk invalidating your BMW warranty. I've been eyeing up all the AC bits to be honest yeah 😆, but getting thier full kit is around 16k 👀😫 The chip, suspension and exhaust bits are a pretty healthy amount in thier own rights too though. I don't mind the stock sound really, but I do like the idea of around 400bhp instead of the 335/40/50bhp (read different accounts) we get in the UK 😜
The whole chip thing seems like a bit of a con. When I looked into it the explanation I was given is it’s so expensive because they switch the whole ecu out, which also gives you a resale item but not anywhere near recovering your costs I’d imagine.

I have to say personally I’m quite happy with the suspension. I gave it some proper stick on a very twisty part of the Oban road on Sunday and not once felt it wanting. The only issue I had was my green faced passenger :sick2: who also commented about how well it handled given the rate we were moving at :oops:

The whole package is expensive but if you want upgrades and to stay in warranty it looks like this is the only way to go.

I would be interested for someone to get theirs on a rolling road, none close to me unfortunately, to find out what the actual power output is because coming straight from a 35iS to the M40i it states on paper they’re practically identical, from the drivers seat I’m not feeling that to be true. Even after a days test drive I said I thought the power had been understated for some reason. Caught a couple of articles, which I can’t find again :headbang: where a few these were rolling roaded as stock and the figures for the 3 cars were between 368-382. If these are correct the AC mod is even more expensive for the small increase to 400
Yes you make some solid points here... Especially regarding true output seen on a rolling road. I do sometimes get the feeling it's got a little more horsepower then then BMW state, but then cant get that nagging feeling to stop, that I could have more haha. Especially because of the stated differences between the US and UK versions, even though it's the same B58 engine, etc.

Also I recently saw a video by a well known online car reviewer (it has "Car" in the name followed by a word that rhymes with "How"), where they drag raced one of ours against a Supra, and ours got absolutely spanked! They say they have the same power, but the reviewer said the Supra definitely had more than the 340 declared. Needless to say, that didn't help with the nagging feeling one bit either! haha

As for suspension, I reckon you're right to be fair... Its not bad at all really... I've only had one or two moments in a bend with slightly bumpy tarmac, where it's not felt as locked down as I'd like, enough to push through and power out of it... But then again, a lot of cars in this price bracket and power band probably wouldn't do any better either. And I'm pretty sure the Z4 M40i beat the M2's time around the Nurburgring too, so that's saying something performance and handling wise I guess.

Soooooo what I think we both need here, is for you to get the upgrades installed and then if they are any good, I'll get them too... Hos that sound? Haha :rofl:
The annoying thing is they’re the exact same but ours is detuned for EU emissions that’s why it’s down on power. I don’t feel I’m missing there really either but it’s always good to have more :evil:

As the three of us are discussing maybe a change of exhaust would suffice. So either you or John get yours on a dyno then he’ll buy an exhaust because he has a habit of collecting them and we’ll have a choice of 3 2nd hand ones within 6 months :wink:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:32 pm

john-e89 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:22 pm
    Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 pm
    john-e89 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:23 pm

Any thoughts of mods yourself Andy…? The lure of an exhaust is strong…. :roll:
    John, at the moment I’m undecided. Previously the AC site had a handful of sound clip of the exhausts in different modes. That’s what I was looking for to link but it doesn’t seem to be there. I know Ori and I had listened to, and discussed these previously.

As said in my previous post I’d be interested to see what the stock figures actually are, nit just the declared/stated.

Overall I’m pretty happy with the car. Due to other issues I’ve just not had time to sit and play with everything and try everything out and play with the settings.

The thoughts I’m currently having is I would seriously consider ordering another one as a replacement but with the AC performance parts if all of the above was investigated more re gains etc, but then when you start putting that money into one the words GTS 4.0 start becoming louder in my head :evil: but that’s a whole other conversation well maybe have over that drink we’ll arrange :thumbsup:
    I’m happy with the power tbh Andy, no need for any more personally, it’s just a tad quiet is all.

Not the time as you say to start on the GTS 4.0….had a day in one a few weeks ago….kinda wish I hadn’t…. :roll:
    John, I think given my location I’m able to get out and drive spiritedly quite quickly. On Sunday coming back from Oban and probably the first time it was really pushed I had everything in sports + and the sound, handling and performance was amazing :driving: the tyres grip was fantastic but I’m not expecting them to wear too well :oops:

I’m unsure about noise etc with normal usage as I was limiting the revs because I was treating it really gently during the run in period.

I’ve a couple of forum runs coming up so I will see who it gets on there and being driven more spiritedly for days at a time I will get the chance to assess properly :thumbsup:

We’ll have the GTS convo but I’m not going near one for a while yet and definitely not test driving one, that’s dangerous with Kathleen in the vicinity :lol:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

john-e89
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:42 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:32 pm
      john-e89 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:22 pm
      Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 pm

John, at the moment I’m undecided. Previously the AC site had a handful of sound clip of the exhausts in different modes. That’s what I was looking for to link but it doesn’t seem to be there. I know Ori and I had listened to, and discussed these previously.

As said in my previous post I’d be interested to see what the stock figures actually are, nit just the declared/stated.

Overall I’m pretty happy with the car. Due to other issues I’ve just not had time to sit and play with everything and try everything out and play with the settings.

The thoughts I’m currently having is I would seriously consider ordering another one as a replacement but with the AC performance parts if all of the above was investigated more re gains etc, but then when you start putting that money into one the words GTS 4.0 start becoming louder in my head :evil: but that’s a whole other conversation well maybe have over that drink we’ll arrange :thumbsup:
      I’m happy with the power tbh Andy, no need for any more personally, it’s just a tad quiet is all.

Not the time as you say to start on the GTS 4.0….had a day in one a few weeks ago….kinda wish I hadn’t…. :roll:
      John, I think given my location I’m able to get out and drive spiritedly quite quickly. On Sunday coming back from Oban and probably the first time it was really pushed I had everything in sports + and the sound, handling and performance was amazing :driving: the tyres grip was fantastic but I’m not expecting them to wear too well :oops:

I’m unsure about noise etc with normal usage as I was limiting the revs because I was treating it really gently during the run in period.

I’ve a couple of forum runs coming up so I will see who it gets on there and being driven more spiritedly for days at a time I will get the chance to assess properly :thumbsup:

We’ll have the GTS convo but I’m not going near one for a while yet and definitely not test driving one, that’s dangerous with Kathleen in the vicinity :lol:
      This is true regarding run in period, I’m only on 700 miles I think and self limiting to 4K revs so as you say once we can open the taps we'll see, and being in the Peak District thankfully there’s….ummmm,….places to get to the speed limit easily like you can…. :wink:

Collecting exhausts huh….I collect ‘Zorsts’….you collect silly skirts with cow hide ball bags hanging in front for your roll ups and knickers…..we all have our whims…. :poke:
      M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
      MR2 MK 2
      E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
      E89 35is
      G29

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:04 pm

john-e89 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:42 pm This is true regarding run in period, I’m only on 700 miles I think and self limiting to 4K revs so as you say once we can open the taps we'll see, and being in the Peak District thankfully there’s….ummmm,….places to get to the speed limit easily like you can….

Collecting exhausts huh….I collect ‘Zorsts’….you collect silly skirts with cow hide ball bags hanging in front for your roll ups and knickers…..we all have our whims
      I was keeping mine below those refs too so we’ll wait to see what you think when it’s a bit more settled. I’m presuming Yorkshire_Z4M40i, isn’t long out of the wrapper too.

I do not own a kilt but when I have worn one myself, and no self respecting Scotsman, would have the words knickers mentioned in the same sentence :wink:

Deerskin for a proper sporran btw :poke: :lol:

john-e89
        Lifer
        Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:26 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:04 pm
        john-e89 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:42 pm This is true regarding run in period, I’m only on 700 miles I think and self limiting to 4K revs so as you say once we can open the taps we'll see, and being in the Peak District thankfully there’s….ummmm,….places to get to the speed limit easily like you can….

Collecting exhausts huh….I collect ‘Zorsts’….you collect silly skirts with cow hide ball bags hanging in front for your roll ups and knickers…..we all have our whims
        I was keeping mine below those refs too so we’ll wait to see what you think when it’s a bit more settled. I’m presuming Yorkshire_Z4M40i, isn’t long out of the wrapper too.

I do not own a kilt but when I have worn one myself, and no self respecting Scotsman, would have the words knickers mentioned in the same sentence :wink:

Deerskin for a proper sporran btw :poke: :lol:
        Deerskin…cowhide….it’s still a ball bag…. :poke: :wink:

Joking aside and last word on the GTS….for now….I’m aware we’re stomping on Yorkshire’s thread, perhaps only 2-3yrs left before they go battery…have no idea how but keep the M40i for hols, cruising etc, and the GTS for blasting at 4am…it’s my aim as these cars are a dying breed and the last of their kind… :cry:
        M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
        MR2 MK 2
        E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
        E89 35is
        G29

Yorkshire_Z4M40i

Post by Yorkshire_Z4M40i » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:15 pm

john-e89 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:19 pm Without being insulting are you chasing numbers or really do want more grunt Yorkshire..?
        No offense taken at all and yeah you're right, I am really... I dont need it, but I want it because I know I should have it (stupid EU rules - How dare they try and keep our air clear haha) type thing. I don't know why it niggles me so much, but it does! 😫
        Current: Z4 M40i in Misano Blue - All packs & full Xpel PPF fitted

Fondly remembered: VW Golf R DSG in Limestone Grey, BMW 220D M Sport in Black Sapphire & Mercedes A200 AMG Night Edition in South Sea Blue

Definitely forgotten: A few clangers 😅

Yorkshire_Z4M40i

Post by Yorkshire_Z4M40i » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:18 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:26 pm
        Yorkshire_Z4M40i wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:26 pm
        Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:04 pm

The whole chip thing seems like a bit of a con. When I looked into it the explanation I was given is it’s so expensive because they switch the whole ecu out, which also gives you a resale item but not anywhere near recovering your costs I’d imagine.

I have to say personally I’m quite happy with the suspension. I gave it some proper stick on a very twisty part of the Oban road on Sunday and not once felt it wanting. The only issue I had was my green faced passenger :sick2: who also commented about how well it handled given the rate we were moving at :oops:

The whole package is expensive but if you want upgrades and to stay in warranty it looks like this is the only way to go.

I would be interested for someone to get theirs on a rolling road, none close to me unfortunately, to find out what the actual power output is because coming straight from a 35iS to the M40i it states on paper they’re practically identical, from the drivers seat I’m not feeling that to be true. Even after a days test drive I said I thought the power had been understated for some reason. Caught a couple of articles, which I can’t find again :headbang: where a few these were rolling roaded as stock and the figures for the 3 cars were between 368-382. If these are correct the AC mod is even more expensive for the small increase to 400
        Yes you make some solid points here... Especially regarding true output seen on a rolling road. I do sometimes get the feeling it's got a little more horsepower then then BMW state, but then cant get that nagging feeling to stop, that I could have more haha. Especially because of the stated differences between the US and UK versions, even though it's the same B58 engine, etc.

Also I recently saw a video by a well known online car reviewer (it has "Car" in the name followed by a word that rhymes with "How"), where they drag raced one of ours against a Supra, and ours got absolutely spanked! They say they have the same power, but the reviewer said the Supra definitely had more than the 340 declared. Needless to say, that didn't help with the nagging feeling one bit either! haha

As for suspension, I reckon you're right to be fair... Its not bad at all really... I've only had one or two moments in a bend with slightly bumpy tarmac, where it's not felt as locked down as I'd like, enough to push through and power out of it... But then again, a lot of cars in this price bracket and power band probably wouldn't do any better either. And I'm pretty sure the Z4 M40i beat the M2's time around the Nurburgring too, so that's saying something performance and handling wise I guess.

Soooooo what I think we both need here, is for you to get the upgrades installed and then if they are any good, I'll get them too... Hos that sound? Haha :rofl:
        The annoying thing is they’re the exact same but ours is detuned for EU emissions that’s why it’s down on power. I don’t feel I’m missing there really either but it’s always good to have more :evil:

As the three of us are discussing maybe a change of exhaust would suffice. So either you or John get yours on a dyno then he’ll buy an exhaust because he has a habit of collecting them and we’ll have a choice of 3 2nd hand ones within 6 months :wink:
        Haha so we agree then, we just need John to get a few of the exhaust options, then sell the ones he doesn't want to us for a fraction of the price... I like the way your mind works 😆

My car has just under 6k on the clock now (I drive it a fair bit haha - We did just under 2k on the NC500 because we added a fair gew extra bits on route and to and from it 😬). I bought it with just over 3k on the clock at the beginning of this year for 40k (glad I did as the prices have shot right up now)- It was from a serous super car dealership near Leeds, who had sourced a Porsche (no idea what model... Maybe a GTS haha) replacement for the then owner from new - He'd not skimped on the spec thankfully and getting it that way instead of from new saved me a shed load of cash! Had it fully checked out by main BMW dealership while it got a brake squeak sorted (bloody small stone stuck) and it got a perfect bill of health and all records checked out. Then got it in for PPF fitting for 3k, as the paintwork was like new too and I didn't want to wreck it, etc.

I've only had company cars for the last six years, so this was a bit of a treat for working hard and I'd changed jobs where a car wasn't part of the benifits package... Really pleased I did, as it does not fail to put a smile on my face whenever I jump in it!
        Last edited by Yorkshire_Z4M40i on Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fondly remembered: VW Golf R DSG in Limestone Grey, BMW 220D M Sport in Black Sapphire & Mercedes A200 AMG Night Edition in South Sea Blue

Pondrew
        Lifer
        Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:15 pm

I think I may have mis-read this thread. Did someone say £4,000 for a software re-write?
        I am assuming this is a jovial thread? :o
        All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
        E89 20i Now fully dried
        Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
        Mazda3 sold
        Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Yorkshire_Z4M40i

Post by Yorkshire_Z4M40i » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:51 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:15 pm I think I may have mis-read this thread. Did someone say £4,000 for a software re-write?
        I am assuming this is a jovial thread? :o
        I'm not even sure its classed as a software re-write... I think the chip from AC just bypasses the current stuff. Could be wrong though and yeah either way 4k for that is steeeeeeeeeeeeap! :thumbsdown:

Pondrew
        Lifer
        Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:55 pm

Does the AC in AC Schnitzer stand for "Absolute Crooks"? :o
        All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
        E89 20i Now fully dried
        Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
        Mazda3 sold
        Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Yorkshire_Z4M40i

Post by Yorkshire_Z4M40i » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:57 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:55 pm Does the AC in AC Schnitzer stand for "Absolute Crooks"? :o
        Haha you know I think you could be on to something there! :rofl:

Argyll Andy
        Lifer
        Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:25 am

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:55 pm Does the AC in AC Schnitzer stand for "Absolute Crooks"? :o
        I was thinking a different name for the C but crooks will do :wink:

Is a complete ECU replacement that they try to justify the hefty bill for :thumbsdown:

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:50 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:25 am
          I was thinking a different name for the C but crooks will do :wink:

Is a complete ECU replacement that they try to justify the hefty bill for :thumbsdown:
          The box is a simple intercept of a few sensors and then a re-transmit of those data items having frigged then to fool the main DME to engage in providing more boost n fuel..similar ones that offer the functionality retail for around £500..the hardware content is probably around £25-£50…

So you are paying for the dope deal between BMW and the ‘frigger’ to cover any issues arising..

Obs-Com

Post by Obs-Com » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:01 am

Got to say my First Edition has more than enough power and it’s likely the recorded 340bhp is understated. Puts it all down and uses better than my previous M2 as well. As a result it’s a far better balanced car to drive and sounds fabulous in Sports Plus/Individual. The exhaust sounds and noise levels are just fine for me and it pops n crackles when pushed but sounds very refined on long distance drives.

Given the time and money that went into the cars development, I would be very concerned about unbalancing the dynamics of the car and spoiling what is already a superb package. More is often not better and I’m more than happy to leave it just as it is. :D
          2011-14: E89 2.3sDrive
          2014-16: E89 35is - Valencia Orange X2 (gone but not forgotten)
          2016-17: F33 440i
          2017-17: E85 2.5si
          2017-19: F87 M2 - Long Beach Blue DCT (Stunning)
          2019-23: G29 M40i First Edition (more stunning than the M2)
          2023-??: G23 M440i

Yorkshire_Z4M40i

Post by Yorkshire_Z4M40i » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:10 pm

Obs-Com wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:01 am Got to say my First Edition has more than enough power and it’s likely the recorded 340bhp is understated. Puts it all down and uses better than my previous M2 as well. As a result it’s a far better balanced car to drive and sounds fabulous in Sports Plus/Individual. The exhaust sounds and noise levels are just fine for me and it pops n crackles when pushed but sounds very refined on long distance drives.

Given the time and money that went into the cars development, I would be very concerned about unbalancing the dynamics of the car and spoiling what is already a superb package. More is often not better and I’m more than happy to leave it just as it is. :D
          Yeah I understand and respect that view... For me though, I just would like to have the same level of performance available as the US/none EU market got, because the car was designed to have that and then softened down a little bit for our market - Despite the fact that Toyota seem to be able to get the same performance as the none EU Z4's, out of their EU Supras... It just doesn't seem fair! Haha