Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

High beam assistant/Carly

Discussing the current generation Z4
Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:26 pm

So I notice in my BMW I can purchase the high beam assistant for my car for £160 and I will get a software download to activate it.

Is this something you can do with Carly, or another diagnostic plug in?
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:40 pm

I’m sure you either download it directly from BMW to the car or onto a usb from bmw then plug into the car

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

MarkB01

Post by MarkB01 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:41 am

I'm a bit confused on this just being a software mod. The end button on the turn signal (which changes the main display) is split into two buttons if you have automatic high beams. The second button turns auto high beams on and off.
    2000 Z3 2.3 - Owned 17 years, sold at 101,000 miles
    2016 Audi TT 2.0T Roadster - Sold at 30,000 miles
    2021 Z4 M40i - Puttin on the miles...

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:15 am

MarkB01 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:41 am I'm a bit confused on this just being a software mod. The end button on the turn signal (which changes the main display) is split into two buttons if you have automatic high beams. The second button turns auto high beams on and off.
    Not sure, I haven’t used mine yet but when specing the cari was told this was an option if I didn’t want the whole package that included it.

I haven’t looked into this at all as I got the package that includes it

https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/shop/ls/dp/FLA_Offer_gb

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

ori

Post by ori » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:39 am

So newer car orders have high beam assist preparation. I presume that’s the button on the stalk.
      You can then order it only and it updates in the car. I’m sure you could code it in somehow rather than pay.
      Personally, I’m waiting for the Black Friday sale. It’s usually 30% off.

IRD

Post by IRD » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:40 am

You buy it through the BMW app at the BMW shop. I have just bought it for my new 330e Touring. Although I have to admit I haven’t tried it yet. So I hope it’s there. I also bought speed camera locations at £20 a year. That appears to be working fine. Mind you it galls me that I have to pay extra for these features on a car costing £46000.

Scubaregs
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:08 am

MarkB01 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:41 am I'm a bit confused on this just being a software mod. The end button on the turn signal (which changes the main display) is split into two buttons if you have automatic high beams. The second button turns auto high beams on and off.
      IRD wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:40 am
      You buy it through the BMW app at the BMW shop. I have just bought it for my new 330e Touring. Although I have to admit I haven’t tried it yet. So I hope it’s there. I also bought speed camera locations at £20 a year. That appears to be working fine. Mind you it galls me that I have to pay extra for these features on a car costing £46000.
      Yes, have the two buttons and yes I know you can buy it through the BMW shop, my question is as the car has the hardware for it already, can it be coded using Carly or something similar.

Image Image

Scubaregs
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:10 am

ori wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:39 am So newer car orders have high beam assist preparation. I presume that’s the button on the stalk.
      You can then order it only and it updates in the car. I’m sure you could code it in somehow rather than pay.
      Personally, I’m waiting for the Black Friday sale. It’s usually 30% off.
      Interesting on the Black Friday sale, would bring it down to £112.

Image Image

Nictrix
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:37 am

Why is it that you are having to pay extra for these things just to have them activated?
      If its in the car it should be available from the day you purchased the car, not having to upgrade after you have bought it.
      I have high beam assist in my X6, its part of the car, I dont think its worth £160 though. I have used it a couple of times but prefer to be in control of when the lights go on or not. All it does is switch the high beam off for you if there is other traffic on the road in front of you and then switch it back on once the road is clear.
      What happens if the software of the car is ever updated at the dealers? Is there the potential for any extras that have been purchased to be removed by the update?
      E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Ian J

Post by Ian J » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:46 am

IRD wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:40 am You buy it through the BMW app at the BMW shop.

I also bought speed camera locations at £20 a year. That appears to be working fine.
      That's interesting. I wouldn't mind speed camera locations but haven't seen where it's on offer as it isn't on my "Connected Drive" page

Scubaregs
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:03 pm

Nictrix wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:37 am Why is it that you are having to pay extra for these things just to have them activated?
      If its in the car it should be available from the day you purchased the car, not having to upgrade after you have bought it.
      I have high beam assist in my X6, its part of the car, I dont think its worth £160 though. I have used it a couple of times but prefer to be in control of when the lights go on or not. All it does is switch the high beam off for you if there is other traffic on the road in front of you and then switch it back on once the road is clear.
      What happens if the software of the car is ever updated at the dealers? Is there the potential for any extras that have been purchased to be removed by the update?
      The lighting pack was the only pack not on the car. Many cars are the same, hardware is there but software only activated if the feature is paid for at time of purchase, or paid for later as in this case.

There is this place I've found, who could probably do it at a fraction of BMW's fee,
      http://codebmw.co.uk/

Image Image

john-e89
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:09 pm

Takes some getting used to tbh, it’s a fight not to turn it off when you’re behind another car with full beam still on, not natural at all. The light zones switching around are cool to watch however. Well worth having imho.
      M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
      MR2 MK 2
      E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
      E89 35is
      G29

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:50 pm

Ian J wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:46 am That's interesting. I wouldn't mind speed camera locations but haven't seen where it's on offer as it isn't on my "Connected Drive" page
      This is not available for the Z4 yet, that's why it doesn't show on your 'Connected Drive' page. IRD was talking about his 330e.
      I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:53 pm

john-e89 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:09 pm Takes some getting used to tbh, it’s a fight not to turn it off when you’re behind another car with full beam still on, not natural at all. The light zones switching around are cool to watch however. Well worth having imho.
      Agree here, I have Laser lights and the 'dancing' light zones are good to see. The important thing though, is that it lights up more of the road, when meeting oncoming vehicles or when you are following others.

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:19 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:26 pm Is this something you can do with Carly, or another diagnostic plug in?
      I would think it would be unlikely. Your car is constantly in touch with BMW, sending and receiving codes so I would be very surprised if a 'non-purchase' item would not be detected.