Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

ASD

Discussing the current generation Z4
Robsterrob

ASD

Post by Robsterrob » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:37 pm

Do all G29's have ASD, and if not, how do I find out if I have it or not (without stripping the boot out to look for the module!)?

Cheers

raven

ASD

Post by raven » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:53 pm

I have no idea, but maybe you can try looking on the bmw parts site based on the vin number and check if you can find an ASD module? :)
2019 BMW Z4 G29 M40i @600hp - IG: ZZZZ_M40i

Ian J

ASD

Post by Ian J » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:10 pm

Robsterrob wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:37 pm Do all G29's have ASD,
I think so as mine is the base model 2.0 and it has it although hopefully if the OBD plug arrives this afternoon it won't for much longer :D

Roadster_Surrey

ASD

Post by Roadster_Surrey » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:19 pm

I had to read what ASD is. It will go on my list of things to switch off, together with nanny driving aids. In Cupra, I just pulled the plug from the box, fake engine sound was like V8.

Pbondar

ASD

Post by Pbondar » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:48 pm

All G29s have ASD,,its integrated into one of the other units so unlike the E89 ASD fitted to N20 sits noy by-pass-able by a wiring harness and it can't be removed physically..you can code it out with tools like ISTA/Protool I believe (not actually tried it as Argyll Andy hasn't leant me his G29!)

Ian J

ASD

Post by Ian J » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:37 pm

Pbondar wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:48 pm you can code it out with tools like ISTA/Protool I believe
You can code it out with Bimmercode but you have to be careful which OBD adaptor you use as they won't all work with the G series.

i bought el cheapo Vlinker Bluetooth from Amazon and it wouldn't connect so i sent it back

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

ASD

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:35 pm

Pbondar wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:48 pm All G29s have ASD,,its integrated into one of the other units so unlike the E89 ASD fitted to N20 sits noy by-pass-able by a wiring harness and it can't be removed physically..you can code it out with tools like ISTA/Protool I believe (not actually tried it as Argyll Andy hasn't leant me his G29!)
Do they all have it, I’m sure I read somewhere that the M40i’s didn’t and I can’t say I’ve been conscious of it either.

I’ll lend you it a week before Sean is due to pick it up :wink:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Pbondar

ASD

Post by Pbondar » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:45 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:35 pm
    Pbondar wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:48 pm All G29s have ASD,,its integrated into one of the other units so unlike the E89 ASD fitted to N20 sits noy by-pass-able by a wiring harness and it can't be removed physically..you can code it out with tools like ISTA/Protool I believe (not actually tried it as Argyll Andy hasn't leant me his G29!)
    Do they all have it, I’m sure I read somewhere that the M40i’s didn’t and I can’t say I’ve been conscious of it either.

I’ll lend you it a week before Sean is due to pick it up :wink:
    According to newTIS all 4 audio systems fitted to G29s have ASD integrated onboard in the 'RAM' unit

Yours may well inject a 'ok yah' as a supplementary sound :thumbsup:

Pbondar

ASD

Post by Pbondar » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:48 pm

RAM: Receiver audio module

The receiver audio module (RAM) is a control unit and part of the infotainment.

The receiver audio module (RAM) is available in different versions and power levels:

Basic version of receiver audio module (RAM)
    Mid variant of receiver audio module (RAM)
    High version of receiver audio module (RAM)
    Together with the booster, the receiver audio module (RAM) enables the following customer functions in the field of audio, radio and television:

AM, FM, DAB, SDARS tuners (US version)
    Active Sound Design outside and inside
    Vehicle Sound Generator for electric vehicles
    Acoustic signal of turn indicator
    Staging of interior lighting of Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System
    Television with possible external card reader
    Connection for microphones
    Signal processing for the acoustic signal of the CC message

Booster

The booster is available in 2 versions and power levels:

Basic version of booster
    High version of booster
    The basic version of the booster is always integrated if an Active Sound Design is provided for the outside sound.

If the vehicle is equipped with a Top HiFi system or a Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound system, more outputs are required than those provided on the receiver audio module (RAM).

In this case, the high version of the booster is always integrated.

Acoustic sensor

The acoustic sensor is an actuator and is required for the Active Sound Design function. The acoustic generator is a speaker installed on the vehicle underbody next to the rear silencer for the exhaust system.

The acoustic sensor does not lead to the exhaust system.

A sporty sound pattern gives an emotional quality to the driving experience. This is caused by the acoustic superimposition of the passive sounds during gas exchange by an actively generated engine sound.

Especially if the {SPORT} mode is selected using the Driving Experience Control.

The actuator is used to convert electrical oscillations into mechanical acoustic oscillations which are radiated into the surrounding area through an opening.

The engine sound is generated by the receiver audio module (RAM) and amplified by the booster.

The RAM control unit is therefore connected to the booster via Ethernet.