Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

On its way, no it’s now arrived - Picture Heavy

Discussing the current generation Z4
Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

On its way, no it’s now arrived - Picture Heavy

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri May 21, 2021 9:25 pm

Well, after a brief but enjoyable time in my 35iS I find myself in the fortunate position to be able to move into a G29

I’ve been keeping an eye on the market for a well spec’d pre reg M40i. They were few and far between and the prices have been following the 35’s trend. Cars that were readily available 6-12 months ago with little or no miles and under £40k are no longer there and today the same vehicle, if you can find one, is £45/£46k if not more. One came on in the last few days at £49k but 5k miles. That’s very close to new money.

What I did find out is that so many of the 2nd hand ones are lower spec’d because they’re on PCP and this is done to keep the payments down which is understandable if that’s how you’re buying one and not having to worry about resale but limits the 2nd hand market if you want some toys.

So to the car, we’ve ordered a Misano Blue M40i, with black leather, gloss black interior trim and all the options packs ticked with the exception of the anthracite roof. We preferred the black roof to go with the Shadowline Plus pack. I made an official request to pay for an individual colour as the colour choice is limited on the G29. BMW were very swift in coming back and saying Get Tae!!! The response said the only Individual colour on a G29 is Frozen grey, which we’ve decided against for a few reasons.

There are very few build slots available for M40i’s but the dealer, who’s been fantastic, has with a bit of horse trading managed to secure an early build date. They called this afternoon to say the car is at paint stage today and build stage early next week with delivery around the 18th - 21st of June.

I’d like to thank the G29 forum members who have helped me and answered my questions through their ownership experience and Swiftly, for helping me with a test drive route in an area I’m unfamiliar with. Of course I have to mention ori, who has assured me many times that the Blue ones are faster, so the black one I had for an extended test drive last week was plenty fast enough so can’t wait to get my hands on a super fast blue one.

My initial impression is compared to the E89 is the cabin is a fair bit bigger. Not saying the E89 is small but at 6’2 and built for comfort rather than speed I found getting my seating position right in the 35iS difficult and felt the seat could’ve been back another 2 inches. In the G29 I had 6-8 inches behind the seats to spare so ideal. Seats are also very comfortable. The additional boot space is also a huge bonus for us. I found the G29 sits flatter, particularly over uneven surfaces, and even though on paper stats match pretty evenly with the 35iS the G29 felt slightly quicker from standing start , but more so 50 > xxx. I definitely put it through its paces on the test drive, so much so I nearly ran out of fuel :oops: The test drive also confirmed it wouldn’t be black as this was after 45 miles in the dry

I also won’t forget the taking the p!ss crew about my “Cav in a party frock”. But nothing less than I expected and as usual the banter and craic didn’t disappoint. One of the many fantastic things about this forum.

We also have made an interim purchase so we’re not totally Zedless but Pbondar, says it doesn’t count for making the criteria for going on his forum runs

Counting down the days
Attachments
B8138D0B-8481-4662-B93D-40CFEDEC44A3.jpeg
B8138D0B-8481-4662-B93D-40CFEDEC44A3.jpeg (206.16 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
BE2B7636-1A9E-4132-AD7C-701C87D11474.jpeg
BE2B7636-1A9E-4132-AD7C-701C87D11474.jpeg (184.4 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
8B6C5E4B-05A0-4B0B-9B7C-0F459004B08E.jpeg
8B6C5E4B-05A0-4B0B-9B7C-0F459004B08E.jpeg (142.6 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
DFB0BAFB-14D8-4D1E-8488-FF36E2EE9FA3.jpeg
DFB0BAFB-14D8-4D1E-8488-FF36E2EE9FA3.jpeg (98.25 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Last edited by Argyll Andy on Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

buzyg
    Legend
    Legend

On its way

Post by buzyg » Fri May 21, 2021 9:32 pm

A very fine model that one. :D :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

On its way

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri May 21, 2021 9:34 pm

That is great news Andy. :thumbsup:

I think Misano Blue is my favourite colour for the G29, and thankfully Pbondar has ensured you aren't Zedless while you wait for your new one.

And I never dissed your Calibra BTW. My sister had an 8V one in the 90s and I really liked it, even if my Cavalier SRi was probably slightly quicker. :)

Looking forward to photos of Misano Blue. :thumbsup:
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

On its way

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri May 21, 2021 9:37 pm

Well now you are out of the closet - nice choice of car, love the colour and not long to wait either.

Shame you had to leave the camper behind, think the G29 may be slightly quicker than the cav in a party frock :rofl: (Still dissing it and I had one as well)
    Last edited by Ole gits rule on Fri May 21, 2021 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
    2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Nictrix
    Lifer
    Lifer

On its way

Post by Nictrix » Fri May 21, 2021 10:20 pm

Congrats. I wondered how long you could keep it to yourself, you lasted longer than I thought you would.
    The next 4 weeks is going to drag in :lol:
    Must say I do like the look of the seats and you should have got a black one.
    E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

ori

On its way

Post by ori » Fri May 21, 2021 10:36 pm

Lovely! Get yourself down to London for a meet up! ;)

craig3.2
    Lifer
    Lifer

On its way

Post by craig3.2 » Fri May 21, 2021 10:39 pm

Very nice,Andy.
    That would be my choice of colour too for a new z4.

I like the wee model you bought to tide you over, haha.
    If Pbondar won't let you on his runs without a z4,come along on mine and Swiftlys runs in your Calibra.
    Only proviso is you have to go at the back (better than total exclusion).
    I am a Vauxhall fan from back in the day,as you know,so feel free to bring it out on a run,and we can finally catch up,lol.

It isn't too long to wait, although it will feel like ages,lol.
    Enjoy when it arrives :driving:
    Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
    Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

On its way

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri May 21, 2021 11:20 pm

buzyg wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:32 pm A very fine model that one. :D :thumbsup:
    I’ll tell her when I see her……….. oh you mean the Z4 :lol:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

On its way

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri May 21, 2021 11:23 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:34 pm That is great news Andy. :thumbsup:

I think Misano Blue is my favourite colour for the G29, and thankfully Pbondar has ensured you aren't Zedless while you wait for your new one.

And I never dissed your Calibra BTW. My sister had an 8V one in the 90s and I really liked it, even if my Cavalier SRi was probably slightly quicker. :)

Looking forward to photos of Misano Blue. :thumbsup:
      Cheers Ian, Misano blue really popped in the sun and that’s what sold it to us.

Calibra’s we’re great, along with Cavalier SRi’s :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
        Lifer
        Lifer

On its way

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri May 21, 2021 11:26 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:37 pm Well now you are out of the closet - nice choice of car, love the colour and not long to wait either.

Shame you had to leave the camper behind, think the G29 may be slightly quicker than the cav in a party frock :rofl: (Still dissing it and I had one as well)
        No not too long to wait :thumbsup:

:P Your party frock jibes, keep them coming :lol:

Argyll Andy
          Lifer
          Lifer

On its way

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri May 21, 2021 11:31 pm

Nictrix wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:20 pm Congrats. I wondered how long you could keep it to yourself, you lasted longer than I thought you would.
          The next 4 weeks is going to drag in :lol:
          Must say I do like the look of the seats and you should have got a black one.
          Only spilled when I knew for sure what was happening :wink:

Yes it will, but it’ll definitely be worth the wait. Seats are great :thumbsup:

Now I know you’re not going to believe me but it was nearly black with red leather right up to we got back to the dealers. When we picked up the loaner up it looked stunning. Kathleen wanted a black one when she saw it. I said we’ll come to an agreement, if it’s cleanish when we get back we’ll have a proper chat about a black one. When we nearly ran out of fuel and I got out and saw the colour of it I thought no f**kin way, I don’t have a Stuart to keep that clean :lol:
          Last edited by Argyll Andy on Sat May 22, 2021 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Argyll Andy
            Lifer
            Lifer

On its way

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri May 21, 2021 11:32 pm

ori wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:36 pm Lovely! Get yourself down to London for a meet up! ;)
            It’ll only take me half an hour because it’s blue Ori :driving:

Argyll Andy
              Lifer
              Lifer

On its way

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri May 21, 2021 11:37 pm

craig3.2 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:39 pm Very nice,Andy.
              That would be my choice of colour too for a new z4.

I like the wee model you bought to tide you over, haha.
              If Pbondar won't let you on his runs without a z4,come along on mine and Swiftlys runs in your Calibra.
              Only proviso is you have to go at the back (better than total exclusion).
              I am a Vauxhall fan from back in the day,as you know,so feel free to bring it out on a run,and we can finally catch up,lol.

It isn't too long to wait, although it will feel like ages,lol.
              Enjoy when it arrives :driving:
              Cheers Craig, yeah the wee model is just a bit of fun. Kathleen couldn’t make her mind up about colours so I bought her models in the colour possibilities to let her see the colours until we could get to see the actual cars.

The Calibra is a previous motor so don’t have it anymore. Looking forward to getting on runs with the new one, after it’s been run in :driving:

ronk
                Lifer
                Lifer

On its way

Post by ronk » Fri May 21, 2021 11:59 pm

The countdown has begun :thumbsup:
                I’m off to browse the webpage - again :rofl:
                You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
                So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
                Lifer
                Lifer

On its way

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat May 22, 2021 12:08 am

ronk wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:59 pm The countdown has begun :thumbsup:
                I’m off to browse the webpage - again :rofl:
                It has that Ron, and enjoy browsing but watch you don’t hit buy accidentally :wink: