Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electric Z4

Discussing the current generation Z4
Wyldie85

Electric Z4

Post by Wyldie85 » Wed May 12, 2021 8:28 pm

So it seems despite sales picking up recently and demand for the Z4 on the up, there’s an interesting article about making the Z4 electric.

I don’t have an opinion either way. Was just interested in peoples thoughts on a two seater electric car, instead of a four seater grand tourer.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/05/10/coul ... ports-car/
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Electric Z4

Post by mr.tourette » Wed May 12, 2021 9:01 pm

Its hard for me to have an opinion having never driven an electric car, cant help feeling it would be a soulless experience but I'd like to be convinced otherwise
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Electric Z4

Post by Nictrix » Wed May 12, 2021 9:58 pm

Can just imagine putting the roof down and losing 20 miles off your range
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Electric Z4

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed May 12, 2021 10:01 pm

Worse still arriving at your destination and its start raining and the roof won't go up.

I think I would have one, look at the first Tesla, it was an Elise so could be good to drive :D
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Electric Z4

Post by sp3ctre » Wed May 12, 2021 10:05 pm

It actually makes a lot of sense. Keep in mind that a lot of people on here who enjoy long drives all over the country are not exactly "typical" owners. Most people with roadsters drive locally, and for a lot it is a second car, so range matters a lot less. BMW have a choice though... make an electric Z4 (or some other name) or exit the roadster market in a few years.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Electric Z4

Post by ronk » Wed May 12, 2021 11:40 pm

Once proper infrastructure is available I might consider it.
My car is used as a toy and in normal times a Euro trip - we will need to see hotels have charge points available before it works properly for me.

My drive down to Baden Württemberg is now done in two hops - I think that would have to be done in three or more unless technology drastically improves!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Ian J

Electric Z4

Post by Ian J » Thu May 13, 2021 8:02 am

mr.tourette wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:01 pm Its hard for me to have an opinion having never driven an electric car, cant help feeling it would be a soulless experience but I'd like to be convinced otherwise
I've also never driven one but I have been a passenger in a Tesla and anything with that stunning acceleration cannot be soulless

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Electric Z4

Post by enuff_zed » Thu May 13, 2021 8:45 am

Gonna need a much better sound generator! :D

No exhaust note, no roadster experience for me. :thumbsdown:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

groovy_hippy

Electric Z4

Post by groovy_hippy » Thu May 13, 2021 9:26 am

We have an i3 as well as the zed and a 987 Boxster S. The i3 is an absolute hoot to drive - it’s centre of gravity is SO low as the batteries are in the floor, and the torque!

I was always an electric skeptic and thought my other half had had a bang on the head when he said he wanted an i3, but coming from 2 petrol heads, electric is probably the future.

I’m still having an internal struggle about the lack of engine noise and ‘mechanical feel’ of electric though. That’s something I just don’t know about. I love my zed for all of that. But an electric sports car? We’ll have to see. I don’t know that an electric sports car will have all the thrills that you’d expect - torque, centre of gravity and smoothness is one thing, but there’s still a place in my heart for a good engine note and a bit of proper mechanical oompf!
Current ... 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport | Manual | Alpine White | Black leather | Piano black dash
Intro to Zeds, now sold... 2007 Z4 2.5i SE Roadster | Manual | Stratus Grey | Red Leather | CDV delete | DLV backbox

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Electric Z4

Post by buzyg » Thu May 13, 2021 12:13 pm

sp3ctre wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:05 pm It actually makes a lot of sense. Keep in mind that a lot of people on here who enjoy long drives all over the country are not exactly "typical" owners. Most people with roadsters drive locally, and for a lot it is a second car, so range matters a lot less. BMW have a choice though... make an electric Z4 (or some other name) or exit the roadster market in a few years.
Not sure I follow that argument. Even a short spitted drive will kill the range of any current electric vehicle, so there still needs to be a significant advance in the tech before I can see this appealing to me. May not be typical, but I can empty the tank on my MR in a day enjoying it locally. By which I mean a 200+ mile Sunday jaunt across the moors or down to Lands end and back on the fun roads. The South Wales Z4 meet is another Day out, that requires a full tank, from here.

I agree with your second point though.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Electric Z4

Post by sp3ctre » Thu May 13, 2021 12:32 pm

buzyg wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:13 pm
sp3ctre wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:05 pm It actually makes a lot of sense. Keep in mind that a lot of people on here who enjoy long drives all over the country are not exactly "typical" owners. Most people with roadsters drive locally, and for a lot it is a second car, so range matters a lot less. BMW have a choice though... make an electric Z4 (or some other name) or exit the roadster market in a few years.
Not sure I follow that argument. Even a short spitted drive will kill the range of any current electric vehicle, so there still needs to be a significant advance in the tech before I can see this appealing to me. May not be typical, but I can empty the tank on my MR in a day enjoying it locally. By which I mean a 200+ mile Sunday jaunt across the moors or down to Lands end and back on the fun roads. The South Wales Z4 meet is another Day out, that requires a full tank, from here.

Yeah, but my main point is most Z4 owners probably go a month on a tank, driving around town and to the shops. As much as we see spirited drives being a key part of roadster ownership I think most people buy them because they look good on the drive.

That’s just a hunch though, from seeing the traffic around my locality
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Electric Z4

Post by buzyg » Thu May 13, 2021 3:13 pm

sp3ctre wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:32 pm
buzyg wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:13 pm

Yeah, but my main point is most Z4 owners probably go a month on a tank, driving around town and to the shops. As much as we see spirited drives being a key part of roadster ownership I think most people buy them because they look good on the drive.

That’s just a hunch though, from seeing the traffic around my locality
You need to move boss. :D

Your right of course My wife's Mx5 needs a run at weekends, just to keep the battery charged, after her 3 mile round trip, daily commute.

So she can have the electric one. :wink:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Electric Z4

Post by enuff_zed » Thu May 13, 2021 3:15 pm

Isn't it kind of ironic that I don't get a buzz from electric cars?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Flyingfifer

Electric Z4

Post by Flyingfifer » Thu May 13, 2021 3:20 pm

Madness
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

raven

Electric Z4

Post by raven » Fri May 14, 2021 2:27 pm

I drove the Porsche Taycan a while back, in 2025 all company cars here will need to be electric (still hoping it will get delayed).
Except that it felt really heavy compared to the Z4, it was a really nice car to drive, in the SPORT + mode you get a nice unique sound from the car, and the range was bigger than what i get with the Z in sport+ .
I haven't tried charging it but they claim on a supercharger it takes only 15minutes to get it to 80% which does make it acceptable for road trips too :)

If they remove the engine from the Z there is plenty of room for batteries so the range might still be acceptable :)

I wouldn't be opposed to an electric Z, but I would miss the exhaust sound so much, lately I mostly drive with the music off so I can hear the car :)
2019 BMW Z4 G29 M40i @600hp - IG: ZZZZ_M40i