Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Frozen Paint

Discussing the current generation Z4
Bobster67

Frozen Paint

Post by Bobster67 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:27 pm

Hello all, I am interested to know how people are getting on with the frozen paint colours. I really like the look of the frozen orange and frozen grey. How are people finding them to live with?

Thanks

ori

Frozen Paint

Post by ori » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:13 am

I think frozen paint looks gorgeous. Really does make the car stand out. However, my valet really doesn’t like them. Told me they are a nightmare to maintain or repair.

Bobster67

Frozen Paint

Post by Bobster67 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:34 am

Thanks Ori, that was my concern. Shame because they look stunning. Suspect it will be a red car for me then :-)

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Frozen Paint

Post by sars » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:04 am

The two negatives that I researched was, you can’t polish them and that colour matching was problematic, you can’t touch up a small area so you have to spray a whole panel. The former seems ironic, why would you try and make your matte paint shine and so if you get a scratch it becomes a more costlier fix. Best suggestion is to ring someone like chipsaway and ask their advice.

That said there’s a gorgeous frozen grey M40i on autotrader that has the cognac interior, looks amazing 😻 and if I was with desire to get a new z, I would certainly be all over that regardless of the potential paint issue. You buy these cars with emotion, the heart not the head :thumbsup:
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Frozen Paint

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:31 am

I too have done a fair bit of research into this as I really like the frozen grey, like the FO too but currently got a VO so too close in colour.

I was told two things by a very respected detailer, who I trust implicitly, it’ll never be able to have small imperfections like scratches and stone chips touched up and recently he’d had a frozen paint almost new car directly from BMW to try to see if he “could do something with it” after they had tried to paint the side 3 times and the match was awful.

Now I only understand the very basics of this but it’s to do with the microns, a human cannot paint at the same number/level of microns as the car was originally painted at/in so there will always be a colour mismatch if a car is painted after leaving the factory. The one painted by a human will always have a shinier finish.

There was also a recent thread on here that got several comments and replies that the paint would also start to look tired at some point and unlike normal paint can’t be refreshed and smartened up which may make it very difficult to move on come resell time. This was something I hadn’t given a huge amount of thought too.

The other option I was given by the detailer is to PPF the whole car but that ain’t cheap and by the time you pay extra for the frozen paint then the PPF you’re adding a fairly hefty wedge onto the price of the car but if it’s a keeper you may feel it’s worth the expense

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Frozen Paint

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:34 am

sars,

gorgeous frozen grey M40i on autotrader that has the cognac interior, looks amazing

Sars, it’s just as well we all like different things :thumbsup:

I saw that on AT and my immediate thought was if they dropped 10 grand off that car the only reason I’d buy it is with the discount I’d be able to source a different colour interior and maybe still have a few quid left :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

Nictrix
      Lifer
      Lifer

Frozen Paint

Post by Nictrix » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:46 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:31 am
      The other option I was given by the detailer is to PPF the whole car but that ain’t cheap and by the time you pay extra for the frozen paint then the PPF you’re adding a fairly hefty wedge onto the price of the car but if it’s a keeper you may feel it’s worth the expense
      Does PPF on a frozen colour then make the car look polished?
      E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

Frozen Paint

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:50 pm

Nictrix wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:46 pm
      I did ask that and was told no, it doesn’t, it should still retain the matt finish. Never having used it before I honestly don’t have a clue and every time I look into this I’m more and more leaning away from it in any form, well I am, Kathleen’s not :rofl:

Nictrix
        Lifer
        Lifer

Frozen Paint

Post by Nictrix » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:32 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:50 pm
        Nictrix wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:46 pm
        I did ask that and was told no, it doesn’t, it should still retain the matt finish. Never having used it before I honestly don’t have a clue and every time I look into this I’m more and more leaning away from it in any form, well I am, Kathleen’s not :rofl:
        I suppose Beedub would know more about this.
        In my head I thought that sticking PPF over the frozen paint would give it a gloss as it doesnt remove the gloss from a normally painted car.
        Unless you can get matt and satin PPF.
        E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Argyll Andy
        Lifer
        Lifer

Frozen Paint

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:44 pm

ori wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:13 am I suppose Beedub would know more about this.
        That’s who I spoke too and was part of our discussion when I was asking multiple stupid questions. Iirc he said it might change it very slightly but would still have the frozen/Matt finish. He also advised only PPF’ing the front and wings, due to cost, and he would need to speak to GTech about the ceramic coating for the rest of the car as he thought that might give a shiny finish and look different to the PPF’d bits.

FWIW, he also told me it’s one of the most beautiful colours he’s ever seen but to avoid it because of the high maintenance. I’m very likely to go with his much valued advice, Kathleen on the other hand............................. :tumbleweed:

sars
          Lifer
          Lifer

Frozen Paint

Post by sars » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:20 pm

Okay what colour is FWIW?

and yes there’s no accounting for tastes, I found the black interior of the zed quite dark and claustrophobic, at least with cognac it stays pretty clean whilst the white/red picks up the blue in jeans.
          Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
          Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Argyll Andy
          Lifer
          Lifer

Frozen Paint

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:42 pm

sars wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:20 pm Okay what colour is FWIW?

and yes there’s no accounting for tastes, I found the black interior of the zed quite dark and claustrophobic, at least with cognac it stays pretty clean whilst the white/red picks up the blue in jeans.
          :rofl: For what it’s worth in his opinion the frozen grey is lovely and it’s been our number one choice since we started looking at them, but keep steering away from it because of the reasons I listed re maintenance.

There was a FG M40i appeared yesterday, fully loaded, with all 5 options packs ticked but has Ivory interior and I have the exact same reasoning as you for discounting that, the transfer of colour from my jeans.

Just my personal choice that I don’t like the cognac as the ones I’ve seen in the flesh that have had it I didn’t like. The only one that looked ok in my opinion was a white and cognac combination.

As we’ve agreed, taste is a very personal thing and I for one am glad they can differ greatly otherwise it’d be a hell of a boring world if everyone liked the same thing :thumbsup:

sars
            Lifer
            Lifer

Frozen Paint

Post by sars » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:36 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:42 pm
            sars wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:20 pm Okay what colour is FWIW?

:rofl: For what it’s worth in his opinion the frozen grey is lovely and it’s been our number one choice since we started looking at them, but keep steering away from it because of the reasons I listed re maintenance.

There was a FG M40i appeared yesterday, fully loaded, with all 5 options packs ticked but has Ivory interior and I have the exact same reasoning as you for discounting that, the transfer of colour from my jeans.

Just my personal choice that I don’t like the cognac as the ones I’ve seen in the flesh that have had it I didn’t like. The only one that looked ok in my opinion was a white and cognac combination.

As we’ve agreed, taste is a very personal thing and I for one am glad they can differ greatly otherwise it’d be a hell of a boring world if everyone liked the same thing :thumbsup:
            Indeed, life would be boring if we all liked the same things, I’m just happy that I have my taste and not yours :P

Anyhow, what is FWIW? :poke:
            Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)

Argyll Andy
            Lifer
            Lifer

Frozen Paint

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:05 pm

sars wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:36 pm Indeed, life would be boring if we all liked the same things, I’m just happy that I have my taste and not yours

Anyhow, what is FWIW?
            Touché :hattip:

Answered in the first 4 words of my previous post :poke: :rofl:

bellamor

Frozen Paint

Post by bellamor » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:07 am

Orange is not my cup of tea when it comes to car color but it looks nice when it is on Frozen paint. :driving: