Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Decisions Decisions 3.0 or 4.0

Discussing the current generation Z4
ori

Post by ori » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:22 pm

bonzo wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:58 pm I tested both the M40i and the 3.0 and went for the 3.0.

I didn't think the extra performance and better sound was worth the extra cost along with the poorer fuel economy.
Enjoy! I don’t thing there is a wrong choice. I have heard the 3.0 is a great balance.
Upload pictures when you get it!

bonzo

Post by bonzo » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:51 pm

Interesting and good timing with regards to this thread:

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-revie ... pra-coupe/

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:55 pm

where is this fabled 4.0 Z4 and how do i get hold of one? I thought the largest displacement engine in a Z4 was a 3.0... :wink: :poke:

Unless you're talking about the Z4 GT3 race car, which is technically a 4.4?

though again, i get that if you bought a sDrive30i, you might not want to admit to people it was only a 2.0, 4cyl... :evil: :evil: :evil:

TheDan

Post by TheDan » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:06 pm

brillomaster wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:55 pm where is this fabled 4.0 Z4 and how do i get hold of one? I thought the largest displacement engine in a Z4 was a 3.0... :wink: :poke:

though again, i get that if you bought a sDrive30i, you might not want to admit to people it was only a 2.0, 4cyl... :evil: :evil: :evil:
I assumed they were talking about choosing between the G29 sDrive30i and the G29 M40i... maybe not! In fact they might be talking about an M60 swapped G29. But which M60 to go for, the 3.0L or 4.0L. :rofl:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:58 pm

TheDan wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:06 pm
brillomaster wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:55 pm where is this fabled 4.0 Z4 and how do i get hold of one? I thought the largest displacement engine in a Z4 was a 3.0... :wink: :poke:

I assumed they were talking about choosing between the G29 sDrive30i and the G29 M40i... maybe not! In fact they might be talking about an M60 swapped G29. But which M60 to go for, the 3.0L or 4.0L. :rofl:
People have been doing this for a while now especially on here with the E89. The 23i gets called a 2.3 and the 35i and 35is get called 3.5i and 3.5is.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Bullyboy42

Post by Bullyboy42 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:20 am

I had the 2.0 G29 and traded for the M40i. at the end of the day it was about enjoyment and the M40i did it for me, managed to find one with just over 1,000 miles on at a huge discount which was very much part of the reason for change. End of the day its horses for courses.
All the Best
Paul
-----
G29 M40i with Comfort, Tech and Shadowline Packs

WindyHead

Post by WindyHead » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:28 pm

Hi,

New forum member here and thinking of dipping my toes into a G29. I've always liked the Z4's and last year came very close to buying a low mileage 2009 E89 3.0i manual. Thought better of it for a number of reasons - can save that for another post. Great looking car I have to say.

I'm more of a GT type driver, preferring comfort over outright performance. I do like sporty driving but not at extremes. That said, I appreciate handling and lightness for all the obvious reasons. I know the benefits from owning an A110. Great car but I miss the wind in the hair experience. Not quite sure what I'll do with the Alpine - I don't drive it much. But when I do, I absolutely love it. For me, the main downside is not being able to wind down the windows to enjoy spring or summer breezes - due to excessive wind buffeting.

Anyway, I've more or less convinced myself that a G29 could the perfect 2 seater car for me - an every day driver, practical and quiet for a 2 seater, sporty and comfortable, and you can drop the roof when it's a nice day. What's not to like!?

I've test driven (a year ago) the 30i and the M40i - it was a good comparison to make. I immediately noticed the 30i was more nimble and playful than the M40i - it was so obvious after trying out the M40i (back2back). But the 30i was also more more crashy and noisier (with the top up) than the M40i. The harder suspension was no doubt down to the 30i demo model not having the adaptive suspension, so no worries. However, not even the dealer could explain the interior noise difference other than suggesting the 6 cylinder engine may be drowsing out other noise distractions...I thought that to be a bit lame. But anyway, I was really impressed with those test drives and the lure of the Z4 has clearly not escaped me...

My reason for joining and posting this reply is I'm looking for some real world experiences of the 30i vs the M40i please. I went through all 16 pages of the forum pages - I'm old school, so out of respect, I don't want to have folks repeating their views over and over gain! This thread (which was on page 9) was the closest that came to my own query - however the comments are from a while back I believe.

Also, having read many of the threads already, I have the impression that most folks on this forum by far prefer the M40i. And that's fine, it's engine is a tour de force and there's always the bragging rights. However, I'm wise enough to look past that (I think). The idea of a 30i with all the nice parts of the M40i i.e. the LSD, adaptive suspension, but with smaller 18" wheels appeals to me - as I can see all of the benefits that this combination will bring i.e. lower maintenance costs, lower insurance, lower road tax, lower fuel costs, plus the nimbler handling in the twisty bits. I live in EU land and we are hammered on large engines with higher emissions... both on new purchase price but also on weight taxation etc. So, there is a big price difference between these two models when buying new.

Yes, I've looked at the MX5 ND and Boxster - both are great cars. However the MX5 would be more of a toy and it's a bit on the small side for me (I'm 1.83m). Feels a bit cramped, especially on the passenger side. The Boxster is great of course but way too expensive for what it is - at least on this side of the channel. And arguably less comfortable than a Z4. I'm looking for fun with no hassle and low cost of ownership. I'm considering buying used to save on the depreciation but with the announcement of a manual transmission being available this year, that may push me to buy new and get the ideal spec etc.

In summary: I'm particularly interested to learn from those who have enjoyed both models (30i and M40i) and what your views are please. Thanks in advance!

Windy.

p.s. great forum by the way - respectful as well as insightful - my compliments.

Hut man

Post by Hut man » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:28 pm

I’m in a similar situation as you Windy, and will be interested in all the comments, I have test driven both the 30i and the M40 just last weekend.
I have decided it has to be the M40 as it was just so much more fun to drive, like you I will be buying used and would prefer tech and comfort packs.
M40i sapphire black,tech,comfort shadow line.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:43 pm

Bobster67 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:16 pm That said the reviews for the 3.0 are all very good which is making me think that the 3.0 is perhaps the one to go for. It would certainly save me a few quid.
It will save you a few quid in the short term, yes, but not necessarily long term..
If you are not financially stretching yourself with either, then the M40i is the ONLY one to go for IMHO.
The B48 engine in the 30i (or even the 20i) is fine and a surprisingly refined and smooth engine for everyday duties. I have just acquired one and am really impressed with it.....however....
The B58 in the M40i is in a different league. It is so much more in every respect. If you bought a 30i you may kick yourself for not buying the 'best' available which would leave you disappointed (maybe).
The M40i is also the top model G29, they don't come any better, so SHOULD hold value better. As cars age, the top models have always held residuals better than the 'cooking' ones.
Running costs for the B58 won't be noticeably more, either. They can be very good on fuel if you want them to be. Bloody awful economy around town, but so are most cars, including the B48.
Two more spark plugs and a litre extra of oil at service time, that's about it.

I have never owned a G29, but have owned the B58, N20 and now the B48 (and have an M54 in the garage too). B58 is by far the best engine I have ever driven, ever! And they have virtually no inherent/ common issues, unlike the B48 (although that isn't bad TBH). My two penneth worth. :thumbsup:

If they did it in a manual, then I would get another one, tomorrow. :wink:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:49 pm

I posted this earlier but just incase you missed it!

https://youtu.be/82rxavW0A3c

He explains why an in-line 6 is so smooth
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:04 pm

WindyHead,

Hello and welcome, not driven a 30i, didn’t consider it tbh but I put a reply in this post to a member considering an M40i and it may be helpful re the M40

viewtopic.php?t=140230

The one thing you may struggle with is spec. I was looking for a pre reg and the spec in a LOT of examples was very poor. A lot of them were PCP/lease orders and the extras weren’t added as often had to be paid up front according to the dealership. It was very common to see ones with only comfort pack when I was looking. Also don’t know if financing is a consideration but it was vastly cheaper to buy a new one than 2nd hand because of the interest rates. HTH’s and good luck with your search :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Scubaregs
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:01 pm

WindyHead, I came to my 30i from much the same viewpoint as yourself. Even though I came from a 718 Boxster I knew I didn’t want the M40i as quite simply I didn’t need the extra power. Have never regretted it.

However.......... I do have have a BMW S1000R sport, so I get my power fix elsewhere.
    Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
    Image Image

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:44 pm

Just noticed the original thread is three years old! :headbang: :headbang:
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

ronk
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:45 pm

Resurrected today by a new member - but if you have a question then why not? :thumbsup:
    You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
    So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:57 pm

Welcome to the forum Windy. :thumbsup:

While I know next to nothing about G29s my first Z4 was an E86 3.0Si, but 5+ years later I bought an E86 MC and it just feels so much more special and I don't even care about the increased tax and fuel cost, it's just the price I have to pay.

But I'm quite glad I couldn't afford an M to start with as the 3.0Si was quite a step up from a BMW 123d anyway! And it meant that after I had got used to the 3.0Si I had an obvious next step. Not sure where I might go next though. :lol:
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black