Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Washing the roof/convertible top?

Discussing the current generation Z4
PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:08 pm

I garage my Z4 and it avoids 90% of the "nasty elements". However, at 6k miles and about 9 months, it may need to have its roof "washed" along with the rest of the car. The car itself has been washed several times in those 9 months, but the roof only received a water spray-off. The roof still looks new, but I think maybe it ought to be cleaned?

I have read that using using regular car wash shampoo isn't the best for convertible tops. What do you folks recommend for a car that only gets a bit of nasty weather on it? I have seen a couple of YouTube videos that look like FAR too much work for this old man! :o

Doug
2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Misano Blue, Premium, Leather
Need more curves in west Tennessee!

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:52 pm

Auto Finesse Rag top was by a long stretch the best cleaner I tried on the soft top, far better cleaning power than autoglym, turtle wax and renovo which were the others I tried, reasonably priced too https://www.autofinesse.com/en/rag-top-cleaner-500ml
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

SV8Predator

Post by SV8Predator » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:15 pm

Are there many E89s with soft tops? I must confess I've never seen one.
2012 Z4 2.0 M-Sport Atacama Yellow
2000 Z3 3.0
2016 Vauxhall GTC Sunny Melon Yellow
2000 Jaguar X308 Sovereign 4.0
1969 Jensen Interceptor 6.3 litre

CryptoWhale

Post by CryptoWhale » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:31 pm

As mentioned above, Auto Finesse is fantastic, use it with an upholstery brush and then a lint roller when it has dried will get it looking brand new :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:33 pm

One reason i went E89, the hard top. Couldn't put up with trying to scrape bird poo off a rag top.

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:19 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:52 pm Auto Finesse Rag top was by a long stretch the best cleaner I tried on the soft top, far better cleaning power than autoglym, turtle wax and renovo which were the others I tried, reasonably priced too https://www.autofinesse.com/en/rag-top-cleaner-500ml
Thanks ya'll, I looked up Auto Finesse Rag Top cleaner. Sounds like the product is well liked here on the forum.....at least in the UK. A search on the internet here from the USA was in vain. I don't think I'm ready to order from overseas, so I will need to look for another product more easily obtainable. Appreciate the help, ya'll! 8)
2020 BMW Z4 M40i

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:16 pm

I keep mine garaged, no problems apart from our cat likes lying on the roof and leaves footprints and ginger hairs on the top :(

I remove them by using a roller brush with an adhesive surface, available at most supermarkets. The surface of the roller is peeled off to reveal a fresh surface when used up, refill rolls are available. The roof fabric comes up like new.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:19 pm

SV8Predator wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:15 pm Are there many E89s with soft tops? I must confess I've never seen one.
None at all AFAIK.

But this discussion is for the G29.

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:41 pm

dr_john wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:16 pm I keep mine garaged, no problems apart from our cat likes lying on the roof and leaves footprints and ginger hairs on the top :(

I remove them by using a roller brush with an adhesive surface, available at most supermarkets. The surface of the roller is peeled off to reveal a fresh surface when used up, refill rolls are available. The roof fabric comes up like new.
Do you ever wash or rinse off your top? I've not washed mine since new, but I do occasionally spray it off with plain water. I have not used soap on it, or a tint roller or even a brush so far. Like you, my are stays in my garage except for the 5k miles I've put on it since July 2020. So far I have avoided tree sap, bird poo and the like.
2020 BMW Z4 M40i

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:21 pm

PaperSniper wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:41 pm
dr_john wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:16 pm I keep mine garaged, no problems apart from our cat likes lying on the roof and leaves footprints and ginger hairs on the top :(

Do you ever wash or rinse off your top? I've not washed mine since new, but I do occasionally spray it off with plain water. I have not used soap on it, or a tint roller or even a brush so far. Like you, my are stays in my garage except for the 5k miles I've put on it since July 2020. So far I have avoided tree sap, bird poo and the like.
No I don’t wash the top, but it gets occasional soaking in the rain!

My G29 is almost 2 years old now and the roof fabric still looks as good as new.

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:59 pm

dr_john wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:21 pm
PaperSniper wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:41 pm

No I don’t wash the top, but it gets occasional soaking in the rain!

My G29 is almost 2 years old now and the roof fabric still looks as good as new.
Thanks for that info.
2020 BMW Z4 M40i

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:06 am

I have used Autoglym on both of the Z I have owed and found its a good product,also tried auto finesse my preference would be Ag but its not that the Af was a bad product just no better , so I stick with the one I know best.
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

John H100

Post by John H100 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:59 am

BMW sell a soft top care package for the G29, I guess it's the same kit for all their soft tops, comes in a rather neat collapsible bucket complete with sponge, cleaning liquid and a conditioning liquid....I haven't used it yet, came with the car as one of the freebies from the dealer.

TheGingerOneNI

Post by TheGingerOneNI » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:15 am

My roof was cleaned and protected with gtechniq by my detailer and I just use an APC watered down to clean it as needed.

rdm05z4

Post by rdm05z4 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:38 pm

PaperSniper wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:19 pm
mr.tourette wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:52 pm Auto Finesse Rag top was by a long stretch the best cleaner I tried on the soft top, far better cleaning power than autoglym, turtle wax and renovo which were the others I tried, reasonably priced too https://www.autofinesse.com/en/rag-top-cleaner-500ml
PaperSniper- Do a search on Ragtop they do sell products here in the US. I have only used their products once before putting car up for winter. But so far so good. Products do have good reviews.

Thanks ya'll, I looked up Auto Finesse Rag Top cleaner. Sounds like the product is well liked here on the forum.....at least in the UK. A search on the internet here from the USA was in vain. I don't think I'm ready to order from overseas, so I will need to look for another product more easily obtainable. Appreciate the help, ya'll! 8)
2005 3.0i Manual, Sterling Gray Metallic Sport suspension, heated seats, top line Business Cd radio
2007 Nissan Maxima -Silver-Auto
2009 VW Wolfsburg Jetta-Black-6sp manual