Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Driving modes

Discussing the current generation Z4
ori

Driving modes

Post by ori » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:19 am

So, I’ve tried to read the manual on this, but I’m not getting any answers.
On my old 35is, sport stiffened suspension, increase throttle response, held gears longer, and stiffened steering.
Sports plus did all of that but also turned off some of the driving aids which allowed for more slip. It also turned on a dsc off light on dash to indicate that.

So my question is this.
What does sport plus do on the g29?

Also, I’ve tried sports individual where I can configure everything to sports plus like the engine and suspension, but can keep the transmission in sports so I don’t hold gears like crazy.

I did drive in sports plus today and the engine sound was amazing as it held the gears and under braking was just beautiful listening to it change down.

Joop!

Driving modes

Post by Joop! » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:05 pm

ori wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:19 am So my question is this.
What does sport plus do on the g29?
Basically the same if you have the active M-sport suspension, but you have to turn off the driving aids (dsc/dtc) manually. The plus side is you can now adjust the Sport settings to your liking, something I’ve missed on older models (with the exception of the M cars).

"Well we have a straight six at the front, a manual gearbox in the middle, and drive goes to the back. That is page one, chapter one of the petrolsexual handbook." / "Page two is of course a LSD mounted between the rear axle" JC

ori

Driving modes

Post by ori » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:18 pm

Thanks for that! Actually makes sports plus more useful and fun as you can keep the safety on!

Ledg

Driving modes

Post by Ledg » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:39 pm

its possible to drive them in anything but sports plus???? I do have my sports individual set for everything sports plus and just the suspension on comfort of the rougher roads.

Joop!

Driving modes

Post by Joop! » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:07 pm

Another tap (or two) on the sport button and it brings you in another sport mode (sport normal or sport plus); or use the iDrive controller to choose after you did hit the sport button.

"Well we have a straight six at the front, a manual gearbox in the middle, and drive goes to the back. That is page one, chapter one of the petrolsexual handbook." / "Page two is of course a LSD mounted between the rear axle" JC

climbbike

Driving modes

Post by climbbike » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:09 am

I just got an m40i and I've been tryin to figure this out as well. from the manual for suspension, sport = "firm" and sport plus = "sporty and firm". And first that made little sense to me but then I found this: "To increase maneuverability, wheels are braked individually when a sporty driving style is used. The resulting braking power is simultaneously largely compensated by an engine intervention." So "sport plus" add the wheel braking, it sounds like probably for better turn in, I'd guess . . .

One thing I am trying to still figure out though . . . when I goto sport plus the transmission seems to hold the gears even longer than sport. Is that the same thing as moving the shift lever to the left?

PaperSniper

Driving modes

Post by PaperSniper » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:27 pm

climbbike wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:09 am ......One thing I am trying to still figure out though . . . when I goto sport plus the transmission seems to hold the gears even longer than sport. Is that the same thing as moving the shift lever to the left?
No.....I think not. I THINK putting it into Sport + holds the gear longer....but I do not think it does anything else; so it still shifts automatically without touching the paddles.

I usually drive around with 'Sport' selected on the console (but NOT slipping the transmission into 'M/S'). When I want to control when the transmissions actually shifts up and down, such as going onto curvy roads with hills where my speeds will be between 15-45 MPH, I push the transmission selector into 'M/S'. Then I use the paddles to up/down shift as needed.

I've never intentionally used the Sport + as I don't see what benefit it would give me over Sport plus selecting 'M/S'. I prefer to determine when to up/down shift myself.
2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Misano Blue, Premium, Leather
Need more curves in west Tennessee!

ori

Driving modes

Post by ori » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:04 pm

I ended up configuring sports individual.
Engine sports plus
Steering sport
Transmission sport (I found sport plus holds the gears too lond)
Suspension sport.