Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

This is why not cognac thanks...

Discussing the current generation Z4
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:41 pm

dr_john wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:30 pmwho cares?
Most probably nobody Doc but the alternative is a forum where nobody posts anything....if you’re so f***ing bored why reply...?
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:54 pm

John, I was looking at an M40i recently and if the colour in picture 1 was a true representation I’d maybe have given it a bit more thought, picture 2 is a no from me :thumbsup:

This is the picture of the interior I’m talking about and it doesn’t look as bright here as it did on the original picture, it looks very similar to your picture 2
Attachments
C4CCC225-928B-4029-8D2D-6714A208A5FD.jpeg
C4CCC225-928B-4029-8D2D-6714A208A5FD.jpeg (97.59 KiB) Viewed 1102 times

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

GuidoK
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:56 am

john-e89 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:36 pm
    If you read my post I’ve seen both in the flesh and the pics are the best representation of each that I’ve found as stated.
    Yes I've read it but we have to believe your blue eyes on it.
    My point is that you show pictures that coincide with your memory. But the pictures you show, are different in real life.
    So if the pictures are different to begin with, what is the reality? Is your memory a true representation of reality?
    For us that's very difficult to tell :lol:

If the colour has changed, then partnumbers of interior parts have changed too.
    Have you looked up those? That would be a very sure way to see if your story is plausable or not (is your mind playing tricks on you or is your memory right? :wink: )
    colourchange without part# change would give huge chaos. Think insurance companies having to change complete interiors when 1 small parts gets damaged etc. So that never happens.
    Also keeping track of exact partnumbers is extremely important for a carmaker in therms of liability. If a certain partnumber has a critical fault it's way cheaper to just recall that batch that has that partnumber instead of all cars of that type ever made so carmakers are very meticulous about that.
    And partnumbers change all the time; slight technical changes, or OEM changes etc etc.
    Normally a superseeding partnumber should be the same in use/appearane but little changes do happen. And I can imagine a slight difference in colourtone with a different partnumber is possible. I've seen superceeding parts change in fit&finish myself when replacing parts (having both of them in my hands side by side)

But if one's buying used it doesn't matter as you're getting to see the actual product in adavance so one can decide then and there.
    Last edited by GuidoK on Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:45 am, edited 6 times in total.
    Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

ori

Post by ori » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:57 am

Have you tried using the car config on the bmw website to can an idea of colours?

millview22

Post by millview22 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:35 pm

This is mine...two photos taken under different lighting.
    IMAG1168.jpg
    IMAG1168.jpg (83.04 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
    Attachments
    image-20190611_175516.jpg
    image-20190611_175516.jpg (177.33 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
    2023 BMW Z4 G29 sDrive 20i M sport in Thundernight
    2020 BMW S1000 XR TE, ice grey

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:28 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:09 pm Top pic looks very beige to me, i prefer the lower pic with the richer colours :thumbsup:
    Rob
    That's the color/colour in my wife's 2019 440i GC. I like both colors in the photo though.
    2020 BMW Z4 M40i
    Misano Blue, Premium, Leather
    Need more curves in west Tennessee!

john-e89
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:37 pm

Well whatever, but I’d really like to get an early and late car together to compare.

No offence intended on Cognac Millview, I’m sure none taken.
    MR2 MK 2
    E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
    E89 35is
    G29

GuidoK
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:44 pm

So I did some research into this, and indeed there has been a partnumber change for the congac leather.
    In fact, for all the leathers on the seats there have been partnumber changes.
    RealOEM shows at least 1 partnumber change, but quite early though: 11-1-2018
    And the strange thing is, it also meantions: nonexchangeable retrospectively.
    So it could well be that there are small colour changes or that the parts age differntly. Thats a real pain for owners if they need a replacement part.
    Getting replacement leather is always a pain because it's very expensive :lol: but also because aging changes the colour to begin with (especially in cabrios)
    It's also strange that there has been a partnumber exchange, because that didn't happen with the leather on the seats with the E89 and E85 (I can imagine that car manufacturers want to avoid it because of potential colour change)
    I wonder if this has someting to do with these cars being manufacturerd by an outsourced company so that bmw may have less control over the manufacturing process and part/OEM control.
    Of course it could also be a result of that the complete seats had to be changed for some reason, thus all leather coverings also had to be changed..
    Door trim hasn't changed though.
    millview22 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:35 pm This is mine...two photos taken under different lighting.
    Misano blue G29 Z4 with congac interior looks absolutely stunning :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    Last edited by GuidoK on Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:57 pm

I like contrasting colours and don't mind lighter shades with a stron exterior colour - both my 3.0Sis had Pearl Grey seats.

But I don't think I'd choose Cognac - it would remind me of the Beige seats I've got in my 3 Series. The Lemon leather I had in the previous one was much nicer, but I wanted a bigger engine!
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black

john-e89
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:38 pm

GuidoK wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:44 pm So I did some research into this, and indeed there has been a partnumber change for the congac leather.
    So it could well be that there are small colour changes or that the parts age differntly. Thats a real pain for owners if they need a replacement part.
    Getting replacement leather is always a pain because it's very expensive :lol: but also because aging changes the colour to begin with (especially in cabrios)
    It's also strange that there has been a partnumber exchange, because that didn't happen with the leather on the seats with the E89 and E85 (I can imagine that car manufacturers want to avoid it because of potential colour change)
    I wonder if this has someting to do with these cars being manufacturerd by an outsourced company so that bmw may have less control over the manufacturing process and part/OEM control.
    Of course it could also be a result of that the complete seats had to be changed for some reason, thus all leather coverings also had to be changed..
    millview22 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:35 pm This is mine...two photos taken under different lighting.
    Misano blue G29 Z4 with congac interior looks absolutely stunning :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    I’m waiting........any time will do...... :wink:
    MR2 MK 2
    E89 35is
    G29

john-e89
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:44 pm

john-e89 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:38 pm
    GuidoK wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:44 pm So I did some research into this, and indeed there has been a partnumber change for the congac leather.
    Nothing wrong with my ‘Blue eyes’ then........I’m waiting........any time will do...... :wink:
    MR2 MK 2
    E89 35is
    G29

Wyldie85

Post by Wyldie85 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:33 pm

I’ve seen three G29’s with cognac and they all looked like the second picture. I don’t see the problem. It’s different but not unlikable in that guise. Against blue, black or grey it could be a nice contrast.
    2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
    2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
    2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
    2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

john-e89
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:47 pm

Wyldie85 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:33 pm I’ve seen three G29’s with cognac and they all looked like the second picture. I don’t see the problem. It’s different but not unlikable in that guise. Against blue, black or grey it could be a nice contrast.
    :? It isn’t a problem, neither is it unlikeable, never said it was, all I said was it looks different now and washed out in comparison to the richer colour of the launch car and personally I don’t like it as much as I did then.
    MR2 MK 2
    E89 35is
    G29

goon

Post by goon » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:34 pm

The top pc looks like the seats are made of cardboard, wouldnt be seen dead in it myself, dreadful.

handymanuk

Post by handymanuk » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:25 am

If people are wondering why more people don’t post it’s because of threads like this.

I’m a relatively new member, I post a bit, but threads like this put me off. I’m just being honest. I think we all know by now that the OP doesn’t like the G29 and he’s told us this many, many times.

From the outside looking in, why would a G29 owner want to contribute to a forum that’s dominated by a few members who love to tell people how much they don’t like the car that they drive?

I personally do not see the value in threads like this. Forums don’t grow and survive just based on noise. There needs to be meaningful discussion.

This thread could have been ‘has anyone noticed that the seat colours have changed?’, but instead the OP is banging the same old drum to justify why he didn’t end up buying a car that many of us love and enjoy.

How about we change the tone here and be a bit more positive and inclusive? Or should I come onto the E89 forum and say how lucky I am that I no longer own one? :o
    2020-now: G29 Z4 M40i, Frozen Grey with Cognac, Tech Pack, Visibility Pack and Wind Deflector
    2017-2020: Audi TTS
    2015-2017: BMW M235i
    2014-2015: BMW E89 Z4 23i sDrive Highline