Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wow is all I can say....

Discussing the current generation Z4
John H100

Wow is all I can say....

Post by John H100 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:54 am

.....I went out on the quiet roads of The Yorkshire Wolds yesterday in the car and gave it it's legs.....I was well impressed.
The turn in is superb, the road holding is incredible and boy does it feel firmly planted on the road....even in corners where the road surface isn't the smoothest there was no stepping out of line.
The cars capabilities are far higher than my skill levels.
I don't know whether it's the effect of the limited slip diff but I was able to accelerate out of corners far earlier than I've done before without any kick from the tail.
I've nicknamed Sports Plus mode Qualified Mode 😉
Mines a 30i, the acceleration is superb....the 40i must be amazing.
Loving the car more every day.
Have a great week everyone.

Z4C_er

Wow is all I can say....

Post by Z4C_er » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:15 am

John H100 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:54 am .....I went out on the quiet roads of The Yorkshire Wolds yesterday in the car and gave it it's legs.....I was well impressed.
The turn in is superb, the road holding is incredible and boy does it feel firmly planted on the road....even in corners where the road surface isn't the smoothest there was no stepping out of line.
I don't know whether it's the effect of the limited slip diff but I was able to accelerate out of corners far earlier than I've done before without any kick from the tail.
Eeerrrrmmm. What are you driving? Also....
:worthless:
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

Pbondar

Wow is all I can say....

Post by Pbondar » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:42 am

Z4C_er wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:15 am
John H100 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:54 am .....I went out on the quiet roads of The Yorkshire Wolds yesterday in the car and gave it it's legs.....I was well impressed.
Eeerrrrmmm. What are you driving? Also....
:worthless:
Mines a 30i, the acceleration is superb....the 40i must be amazing

Ledg

Wow is all I can say....

Post by Ledg » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:26 pm

I have a 30i with the sports plus package also but im finding it steps out sideways a lot more then our e89 30i did. im not sure if its the tyres (I had pilot spot 4s on the old car and im sure they where better in the wet/ damp conditions or the fact that the sensation of speed in the new car isn't the same and im going a lot faster into the corners then I did in the old car. In the dry it will definitely corner a lot faster, but in the wet its lethal, I have to be really careful on the throttle pulling out of junctions, the old car I could give it full throttle and it never caused much trouble.

Wyldie85

Wow is all I can say....

Post by Wyldie85 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:22 pm

Great news John and glad you’ve been out enjoying the car. Most of the reviews say that the 30i is the real sweet spot and the one to go for.
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Wow is all I can say....

Post by buzyg » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:29 pm

Oh the joys of decent roadster. :driving: :thumbsup:

brillomaster

Wow is all I can say....

Post by brillomaster » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:48 pm

Ledg wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:26 pm I have a 30i with the sports plus package also but im finding it steps out sideways a lot more then our e89 30i did. im not sure if its the tyres (I had pilot spot 4s on the old car and im sure they where better in the wet/ damp conditions or the fact that the sensation of speed in the new car isn't the same and im going a lot faster into the corners then I did in the old car. In the dry it will definitely corner a lot faster, but in the wet its lethal, I have to be really careful on the throttle pulling out of junctions, the old car I could give it full throttle and it never caused much trouble.
big difference between an E89 3.0i and a G29 3.0i...

in the E89 3.0i the engine was exactly that - a naturally aspirated 3 litre engine, which therefore makes less torque (229lbft) and needs to be revved out to 6600rpm to make 255hp.

in the G29 3.0i, its a 2 litre turbo unit, which makes gobs more torque (295lbft) from very low revs - it also only needs 5500rpm to make the same 255hp.

So very different feeling to the cars - the G29 will be very punchy in the mid range, great for overtaking. But it will feel a little flat at the top end when the E89 was hitting its stride, and it will also require a lighter right foot to pull out of t junctions without bothering the traction control, regardless of what tyres are fitted.

Ledg

Wow is all I can say....

Post by Ledg » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:54 pm

brillomaster wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:48 pm
Ledg wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:26 pm I have a 30i with the sports plus package also but im finding it steps out sideways a lot more then our e89 30i did. im not sure if its the tyres (I had pilot spot 4s on the old car and im sure they where better in the wet/ damp conditions or the fact that the sensation of speed in the new car isn't the same and im going a lot faster into the corners then I did in the old car. In the dry it will definitely corner a lot faster, but in the wet its lethal, I have to be really careful on the throttle pulling out of junctions, the old car I could give it full throttle and it never caused much trouble.
big difference between an E89 3.0i and a G29 3.0i...

in the E89 3.0i the engine was exactly that - a naturally aspirated 3 litre engine, which therefore makes less torque (229lbft) and needs to be revved out to 6600rpm to make 255hp.

in the G29 3.0i, its a 2 litre turbo unit, which makes gobs more torque (295lbft) from very low revs - it also only needs 5500rpm to make the same 255hp.

So very different feeling to the cars - the G29 will be very punchy in the mid range, great for overtaking. But it will feel a little flat at the top end when the E89 was hitting its stride, and it will also require a lighter right foot to pull out of t junctions without bothering the traction control, regardless of what tyres are fitted.
That would explain it. I just need to get used to it. It’s more fun to drive and to be fair when it does step out it seems to only go so far then control itself.

brillomaster

Wow is all I can say....

Post by brillomaster » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:01 pm

get a remap, then it'll really blow your socks off :evil:

the E89 3.0i is pretty limited to 260bhp ish, as theres not much you can do to a naturally aspirated engine (without spending a lot of money). but the 2 litre turbo in a G29... 315bhp-ish is just a £300 remap away!

PaperSniper

Wow is all I can say....

Post by PaperSniper » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:03 pm

John H100 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:54 am .....
Oh, it is, it is indeed! :thumbsup:
2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Misano Blue, Premium, Leather
Need more curves in west Tennessee!