Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

relay attack on new z4?

Discussing the current generation Z4
Ledg

relay attack on new z4?

Post by Ledg » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:12 pm

So im swapping our e89 30i for nearly new g29 30i on Friday. It comes with comfort access, just wondering if anyone that owns one knows if the key has a motion sensor in it and stops working after a few minutes of not being moved or they have changed the wireless tech in it to something that cant be relayed. Don't really fancy letting someone have it with zero effort. I love all the new tech, but it really does make it easy to steal.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

relay attack on new z4?

Post by markplant » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:25 pm

Deffo get somthing fitted keyless cars can be knicked with a 100 quid rf repeater no damage no nothing. Really w**k the car manaftures had a injuction with the uk press not to say owt cos it is that bad. A ghost imobilizer is the minimum to put in . They are 399 fitted and it stops it starting via can great bit of kit size of your finger.but will be able to look aftet you a bit.
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Z4monster

relay attack on new z4?

Post by Z4monster » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:39 pm

I understand that the G29 keys do go to sleep after a few minutes of being left stationary.

If in doubt, you can always store it in an RF pouch or metal tin. That's what we use for my partners Mercedes key which DOES NOT go to sleep when left untouched.

Ledg

relay attack on new z4?

Post by Ledg » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:40 pm

I thought about getting on of the ghost immobilisers until I saw this video https://youtu.be/Mqkq7HJFJ0E and though it was a waste of £400.

Ledg

relay attack on new z4?

Post by Ledg » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:43 pm

Z4monster wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:39 pm I understand that the G29 keys do go to sleep after a few minutes of being left stationary.

If in doubt, you can always store it in an RF pouch or metal tin. That's what we use for my partners Mercedes key which DOES NOT go to sleep when left untouched.
That’s what I was planning on doing. If it does go to sleep it wouldn’t be too bad if we forgot to put it in one over night. If you can I’d turn comfort access off anyway. Quite happy to press a button to unlock it.

Sladester100

relay attack on new z4?

Post by Sladester100 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:16 pm

Ledg wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:43 pm
Z4monster wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:39 pm I understand that the G29 keys do go to sleep after a few minutes of being left stationary.

That’s what I was planning on doing. If it does go to sleep it wouldn’t be too bad if we forgot to put it in one over night. If you can I’d turn comfort access off anyway. Quite happy to press a button to unlock it.
Didn’t realise they ‘go to sleep’ good to know. Is this documented somewhere?

You can turn comfort access off in the settings on mine I’m sure. Although now I’m typing this I’m thinking maybe that was just the “perimeter” comfort bit...

Regardless - we use simple RF blocking key pouches from Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07R3K ... asin_title
They were £7.99 for 2 delivered and are of good decent quality. Come with a small key ring like attachment so are easily hung and we pop them on hooks in a cupboard - once the habit of doing so is learned it just becomes the norm to secure the key when getting home for the day 👍🏼

We learned the hard way when some scum tried to steal the wife’s F45 last year and luckily we woke up to the noise of it unlocking!! (A hot night and the window being open helped!)

Buy a pouch ;)
F30 320d ED Melbourne Metallic, Vis Pack, Dakota Leather, & Other Goodies :thumsup:
G29 M40i First Edition Frozen Orange :cool:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

relay attack on new z4?

Post by ronk » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:38 pm

I keep my keys in a steel key safe which is hidden in a cupboard - I’ve just got into the habit now instead of just dumping them on the side!
Doesn’t help when on holiday I suppose.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

relay attack on new z4?

Post by dr_john » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:41 am

For the very small benefit that comfort access gives compared to the horror of some yobbo criminal making off with my car I really don’t understand why people want it. I mean, what is so difficult about pressing a button on the fob to open the car?

I would certainly regard it as a negative point in buying a used BMW, let alone paying for it as an option on a new car order.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

Ledg

relay attack on new z4?

Post by Ledg » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:18 am

dr_john wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:41 am For the very small benefit that comfort access gives compared to the horror of some yobbo criminal making off with my car I really don’t understand why people want it. I mean, what is so difficult about pressing a button on the fob to open the car?

I would certainly regard it as a negative point in buying a used BMW, let alone paying for it as an option on a new car order.
I’d have to agree. I think I prefer the fact you have to put the key fob in the slot on the e89 as well. At least you know where the key is. Guess if someone wants your car they will still have it either way but it’s not even just the clever thieves that can do, you can just buy something from eBay and you are good to go.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

relay attack on new z4?

Post by Ewazix » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:58 am

dr_john wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:41 am For the very small benefit that comfort access gives compared to the horror of some yobbo criminal making off with my car I really don’t understand why people want it. I mean, what is so difficult about pressing a button on the fob to open the car?

+2 on this, I deliberately spec'd my Mini without it, its still a proximity key to start it as in its in your your pocket but I like the security of clicking it to open the car.

Having to stick your keys in a safe/bag so someone can't nick your car remotely with a £100 gadget is a huge step backwards in security, I'm amazed it's not been a recall issue since car security is an EU standard partly driven by safety concerns about hoodie scum in car chases.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

relay attack on new z4?

Post by ronk » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:38 am

I knew a chap who didn’t know he had comfort access on his car - he went back to check he’d locked his car and couldn’t understand why it was unlocked!

He went back to his dealer to have it repaired! :rofl:

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

relay attack on new z4?

Post by dr_john » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:02 pm

Ledg wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:18 am
I’d have to agree. I think I prefer the fact you have to put the key fob in the slot on the e89 as well. At least you know where the key is. Guess if someone wants your car they will still have it either way but it’s not even just the clever thieves that can do, you can just buy something from eBay and you are good to go.
Yes, I was always used to putting the fob in the slot on the E89, no probs, that's where it belonged. Now, on the G29, I can put it anywhere and the car will start. I haven't managed to lose it yet but the day will come :)
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

relay attack on new z4?

Post by ronk » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:35 pm

My 335xd is like that - I’ve yet to develop a regime of where I dump the key!
Door pocket/trouser pocket/coat pocket / ash tray - just can’t develop a habit.
Of course that’s all after trying the slot on the dash that not there.

raven

relay attack on new z4?

Post by raven » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:57 pm

Ledg wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:12 pm Don't really fancy letting someone have it with zero effort. I love all the new tech, but it really does make it easy to steal.
You can disable the comfort access through the idrive system if you dont want it.
Also the key does not send any signals when its not moving for 2 minutes if im not mistaken.

i have had my car parked on the street close to my home for almost a full year now, so far it hasnt been stolen :P
2019 BMW Z4 G29 M40i @600hp - IG: ZZZZ_M40i

Ledg

relay attack on new z4?

Post by Ledg » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:15 pm

raven wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:57 pm
Ledg wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:12 pm Don't really fancy letting someone have it with zero effort. I love all the new tech, but it really does make it easy to steal.
You can disable the comfort access through the idrive system if you dont want it.
Also the key does not send any signals when its not moving for 2 minutes if im not mistaken.

i have had my car parked on the street close to my home for almost a full year now, so far it hasnt been stolen :P
Thats good to know, thank you.