Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Finally worked out why I “dislike” the G29

Discussing the current generation Z4
dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Finally work out why I hate the G29

Post by dr_john » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:42 pm

As a previous owner of 3 E89's and a Boxster GTS I find the G29 a stunning car, probably the best I've ever owned. But that's for my preferences and requirements, it's sporty enough for me while being superbly comfortable and has all the bells and whistles that I could possibly desire.

I really don't understand aggressive threads like this. Each to their own I guess.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:01 pm

dr_john wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:42 pm As a previous owner of 3 E89's and a Boxster GTS I find the G29 a stunning car, probably the best I've ever owned. But that's for my preferences and requirements, it's sporty enough for me while being superbly comfortable and has all the bells and whistles that I could possibly desire.

I really don't understand aggressive threads like this. Each to their own I guess.
Hi,

How do you feel the Boxster GTS compares with your G29? Was your's the normally aspirated engine or the turbo?

Thanks
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:45 pm

dr_john wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:42 pm As a previous owner of 3 E89's and a Boxster GTS I find the G29 a stunning car, probably the best I've ever owned. But that's for my preferences and requirements, it's sporty enough for me while being superbly comfortable and has all the bells and whistles that I could possibly desire.

Beauty / form and even function is in the eye of the beholder..

I guess the best we can say that it’s a divisive design..and maybe time will mellow some people’s objections to it...

I do love the E85..brings a smile to my face, I find the E89 can look good in certain colours (I know I’m a hypocrite)..

I’m trying to like the G29 and as some people say the ‘language’ of the design is becoming more accepted..

I find it weird, but shows my point, that some E89 guys are fitting faux G29 front grills :headbang:

I can’t help feeling a very modest LCI set of revisions could be transformational in its acceptance..but I don’t think it’s going to happen..

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:04 pm

I think the use of the word 'hate' in the title is a little extreme tbh.
As the progression of this thread shows, it's in the eye of the beholder/driver, and no two people will see it exactly the same way.
So, it may not appeal to you, it may not float your boat, it may leave you cold or it may not catch your eye on the road.
But hate? Really? Surely there are far worse things to direct such vehemence towards?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

scootr

Post by scootr » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:48 pm

We have reached a design void where the last model looks better than the new model imho
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:55 pm

Z4C_er wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:47 am but the E85 and E86 were designed to cocoon the occupants and carry minimal luggage, perhaps an overnight bag for each is all you'd need.
The E85 is the from the 3 the one with the biggest boot I believe.
And if you only carry an overnight bag, you're using your roadster wrong.
Nothing better than driving a week through the Alps on the glorious mountain passes with the top down. Really, try it sometimes :thumbsup:
When going in a group, you see the e89 owners (and z3 owners) struggeling with the available luggage space whereas the e85 has enough for 2 persons for 2 weeks. Pretty good for the smallest car with the least overhang.
So yes, luggage space is important in a roadster imho.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:52 pm

MACK wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:01 pm
Hi,

How do you feel the Boxster GTS compares with your G29? Was your's the normally aspirated engine or the turbo?

Thanks
My Boxster was the 718 turbo model. I didn't like the car for several reasons, noisy, uncomfortable etc etc. Long journeys were an absolute nightmare.

A poser's car at the end of the day :wink:

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:53 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:04 pm I think the use of the word 'hate' in the title is a little extreme tbh.
As the progression of this thread shows, it's in the eye of the beholder/driver, and no two people will see it exactly the same way.
So, it may not appeal to you, it may not float your boat, it may leave you cold or it may not catch your eye on the road.
But hate? Really? Surely there are far worse things to direct such vehemence towards?
Absolutely, the points I was trying to make :thumbsup:

Pooltee

Post by Pooltee » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:32 pm

Apologies if I have offended with the hate word. That was not my intentions. I personally “hate” the g29 because from every angle it looks beautiful until you look one dead in the eye, then it’s one of the most horrible weak looking cars I have seen to date.

The thread was purely intended as a bit of humour, as my youngest daughter (5 years old) said the G29 looked like Sid out of Ice Age.

Never mind, made me chuckle if it didn’t anybody else.
2013 Z4 20i sDrive.

Remapped, and currently “interior” rattle free.

Early midlife crises and so far loving every minute of it!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:20 am

Pooltee wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:32 pm Apologies if I have offended with the hate word. That was not my intentions. I personally “hate” the g29 because from every angle it looks beautiful until you look one dead in the eye, then it’s one of the most horrible weak looking cars I have seen to date.

The thread was purely intended as a bit of humour, as my youngest daughter (5 years old) said the G29 looked like Sid out of Ice Age.

Didn't offend me.
I'm a bit of a pedant with the English language and think strong words, overused, become weaker over time. That's all.

If you've already used 'hate' to describe the look of a car, what words would you upgrade to if you really, really did hate something. :wink:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pooltee

Post by Pooltee » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:59 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:20 am
Pooltee wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:32 pm Apologies if I have offended with the hate word. That was not my intentions. I personally “hate” the g29 because from every angle it looks beautiful until you look one dead in the eye, then it’s one of the most horrible weak looking cars I have seen to date.

Didn't offend me.
I'm a bit of a pedant with the English language and think strong words, overused, become weaker over time. That's all.

If you've already used 'hate' to describe the look of a car, what words would you upgrade to if you really, really did hate something. :wink:
Very very true mate, and an interesting why to look at it. That character from ice age however, I do hate! :rofl:
2013 Z4 20i sDrive.

Remapped, and currently “interior” rattle free.

Early midlife crises and so far loving every minute of it!

Obs-Com

Post by Obs-Com » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:14 pm

mr wilks wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:43 pm
z4pilot wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:15 pm The wheels always look under-sized to me. Too much bodywork above the arches and the short wheelbase does it no favours.
Exactly my thoughts from the first sighting & nothing has changed , its a lardy looking sports car , can't ever see me wanting or owning one when i consider what similar cash would get me in the Porsche world .
Sorry to single this pic out but it sums up perfectly how the proportions & styling are all wrong & that's without showing the front end which as already pointed out is the cars worse feature :cry: the bootlid is the exterior highlight for me , the interior is nice but wouldn't be enough to sway me into one

Same car and same profile Andy. Interesting but this sums up perfectly (for me) how the proportions and styling are all right. The wheels also seem to fill the arch’s pretty well?
65A1819A-69E1-417D-A193-98651F51AD10.jpeg
65A1819A-69E1-417D-A193-98651F51AD10.jpeg (147.13 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
I have to say I find the G29 stunning from all angles. It’s also generated the most interest and compliments than all my previous cars. This may have something to do with the colour though. My E89 35is were superb and a pleasure to drive but the G29 is a different class all together!

Recent trip across the Alps showed it to be a fabulous GT but it really showed it’s class when on the mountain pass roads. It remains (IMO) better to drive and more capable than my previous M2.
2011-14: E89 2.3sDrive
2014-16: E89 35is - Valencia Orange X2 (gone but not forgotten)
2016-17: F33 440i
2017-17: E85 2.5si
2017-19: F87 M2 - Long Beach Blue DCT (Stunning)
2019-23: G29 M40i First Edition (more stunning than the M2)
2023-??: G23 M440i

Obs-Com

Post by Obs-Com » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:26 pm

GuidoK wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:55 pm
Z4C_er wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:47 am but the E85 and E86 were designed to cocoon the occupants and carry minimal luggage, perhaps an overnight bag for each is all you'd need.
The E85 is the from the 3 the one with the biggest boot I believe.
And if you only carry an overnight bag, you're using your roadster wrong.
Nothing better than driving a week through the Alps on the glorious mountain passes with the top down. Really, try it sometimes :thumbsup:
When going in a group, you see the e89 owners (and z3 owners) struggeling with the available luggage space whereas the e85 has enough for 2 persons for 2 weeks. Pretty good for the smallest car with the least overhang.
So yes, luggage space is important in a roadster imho.
The E85 provides 240L of boot space with the roof down. The G29 provides 281L regardless of roof position. I was able get my golf clubs and electric trolly in the boot of my E89 and in the G29. Couldn’t in the E85 as the boot wasn’t wide enough.
2011-14: E89 2.3sDrive
2014-16: E89 35is - Valencia Orange X2 (gone but not forgotten)
2016-17: F33 440i
2017-17: E85 2.5si
2017-19: F87 M2 - Long Beach Blue DCT (Stunning)
2019-23: G29 M40i First Edition (more stunning than the M2)
2023-??: G23 M440i

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:32 pm

Obs-Com wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:14 pm
mr wilks wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:43 pm
z4pilot wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:15 pm The wheels always look under-sized to me. Too much bodywork above the arches and the short wheelbase does it no favours.
Exactly my thoughts from the first sighting & nothing has changed , its a lardy looking sports car , can't ever see me wanting or owning one when i consider what similar cash would get me in the Porsche world .
Sorry to single this pic out but it sums up perfectly how the proportions & styling are all wrong & that's without showing the front end which as already pointed out is the cars worse feature :cry: the bootlid is the exterior highlight for me , the interior is nice but wouldn't be enough to sway me into one

Same car and same profile Andy. Interesting but this sums up perfectly (for me) how the proportions and styling are all right. The wheels also seem to fill the arch’s pretty well?

I have to say I find the G29 stunning from all angles. It’s also generated the most interest and compliments than all my previous cars. This may have something to do with the colour though. My E89 35is were superb and a pleasure to drive but the G29 is a different class all together!

Recent trip across the Alps showed it to be a fabulous GT but it really showed it’s class when on the mountain pass roads. It remains (IMO) better to drive and more capable than my previous M2.
Does look better i can't deny but i still think the rear wheel is too far forward & that the wheel arches are too large , in the days of E46 E60 Bmw were great getting the wheel to arch ration bang on , the last few years that ethos seems to have gone haywire along with the grill situation :oops: Its good you like it & that you have a previous M2 to gauge off , i still feel the G29 pricepoint is one of its biggest negatives by some 15%-20% , then once the value hurdle is over its the looks are "questionable " & clearly dividing opinion ow as for the positive .
Now as for the positive comments :oops: i'm not being arsey or sarcastic here but ive had a lot of cars pass through my hands & in January bought my first Skoda :o a silver Yeti to be my workhorse & 6 months in i'm staggered at the number of folks who chat to me about it on petrol forecourts , builders merchants + on site & not in a negative way , ive never had so many positive comments on any car ive owned :D & it aint a great looker :roll:
Attachments
DSC_1255-01-01.jpeg
DSC_1255-01-01.jpeg (201.49 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:20 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:32 pm
Obs-Com wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:14 pm
mr wilks wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:43 pm Exactly my thoughts from the first sighting & nothing has changed , its a lardy looking sports car , can't ever see me wanting or owning one when i consider what similar cash would get me in the Porsche world .

Does look better i can't deny but i still think the rear wheel is too far forward & that the wheel arches are too large , in the days of E46 E60 Bmw were great getting the wheel to arch ration bang on , the last few years that ethos seems to have gone haywire along with the grill situation :oops: Its good you like it & that you have a previous M2 to gauge off , i still feel the G29 pricepoint is one of its biggest negatives by some 15%-20% , then once the value hurdle is over its the looks are "questionable " & clearly dividing opinion ow as for the positive .
Now as for the positive comments :oops: i'm not being arsey or sarcastic here but ive had a lot of cars pass through my hands & in January bought my first Skoda :o a silver Yeti to be my workhorse & 6 months in i'm staggered at the number of folks who chat to me about it on petrol forecourts , builders merchants + on site & not in a negative way , ive never had so many positive comments on any car ive owned :D & it aint a great looker :roll:
Agree, we’ve had ours just over a year and a half & it’s been totally fault free & a pleasure to drive - it’s a shame they’re no longer produced. The rear seats are easily removable with no tools - it’s so versatile, super comfortable as well :thumbsup:
871A6423-B43D-4CDA-A4DF-9FAF14C76E8F.jpeg
871A6423-B43D-4CDA-A4DF-9FAF14C76E8F.jpeg (477.95 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
0DDFB7BA-C449-4A8A-8B2E-5BE091129F7E.jpeg
0DDFB7BA-C449-4A8A-8B2E-5BE091129F7E.jpeg (477.73 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold