Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What is Adaptive Mode?

Discussing the current generation Z4
daveking350z

What is Adaptive Mode?

Post by daveking350z » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:03 am

OK, I read the manual, seen a bunch of YouTube reviews, heard about Adaptive Mode, but I don't get it. What does the computer do to "change parameters based on my driving style?" I almost always just go to Sport Plus, and "manual" shifting, immediately upon firing my M40i up. Changing shift points in D is of no interest to me. Did I mention how much I want a real manual transmission? I may need to just try Adaptive Mode for a while, to see if I can tell if it's doing something. What can you tell me about it? Thanks!
Dave King
2020 M40i, San Francisco Red :driving:

Wyldie85

What is Adaptive Mode?

Post by Wyldie85 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:19 am

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1573689

Have a read here. Lots of comments explaining what it does.
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

Sladester100

What is Adaptive Mode?

Post by Sladester100 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:01 pm

This post pretty much sums it up;
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i wrote: In addition to all the good comments already given here, Adaptive will also take consideration of the upcoming road conditions etc. if your iDrive Navigation is active. It did not spell out explicitly in the manual, but I would interpret that as the car will prepare you to get on or off highways/motorways according to the direction given out by Navigation.
The following is from G11/G12 data, which comment is referenced for the G30 5-series as well. Appropriate parts will be very similar for the G01 models.
Overview

The "ADAPTIVE" mode is used for the first time in the BMW 7 Series. It is designed to achieve a balanced driving mode where the setup is automatically adapted to both the driving situation and the driving style.

In this mode, the parameters of the Electronic Damper Control (VDP), the Electric Active Roll Stabilization (EARS), Electronic Power Steering (EPS) and the automatic transmission, for example, are switched between "COMFORT", "SPORT" and “ECO PRO” settings depending on the driving situation. However, when "ADAPTIVE" mode is active, no changes that restrict comfort (seat heating, A/C settings, etc.) are made in the event of switching to "ECO PRO" mode.

"ADAPTIVE" reacts to the current driving style. The affected control units can change their parameters on the basis of the detected driving style.

With the navigation system, the mode makes use of the available map data and optimizes "ADAPTIVE" Mode by predictive functions such as early reaction to bends, junctions and road type.

The displays on the instrument cluster and Central Information Display (CID) remain in normal" mode and do not continuously change between "COMFORT" and "SPORT" modes. This is to prevent the driver from being distracted or lose comfort by changes in the displays. "ADAPTIVE" mode changes the modes in the background so that the driver does not notice the changes directly.

The following influences on the driving style are taken into account, among others:
• Longitudinal dynamics
• Current speed
• Pedal sensor position
• Cruise control (sensor data from ACC radar sensor)
• Sport shift gate for automatic transmission
• Turn indicator
• Steering wheel movements
• Navigation data
Adaptive Mode

If ADAPTIVE driving mode has been activated via the driving experience switch, the Dynamic Stability Control unit processes the navigation data to analyses the route and influences the driving program to be activated if necessary. If the vehicle is approaching a sharp bend at high speed, for example, the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) activates Sport mode without any action on the part of the driver. The Vertical Dynamics Platform (VDP) reads in this information and activates the corresponding chassis components for Sport mode.

Conversely, an automatic change in driving program from Sport to Comfort is also possible. If the vehicle exits a twisting section of road through which it has been driven at speed and then drives at constant speed on a straight section, this results in automatic change over to the Comfort driving program. This means that the optimum driving mode with respect to comfort (Comfort) and driving dynamics (Sport) is automatically set without manual operation of the driving experience switch depending on the driving style and probable route. Route guidance need not be activated for this.
I’ve had a few drives to work out if I can detect it as much as that write up ^. It certainly appears to follow that somewhat, and the throttle is definitely more responsive in adaptive than comfort. The ride is less stiff but does seem a bit stiffer than comfort.
F30 320d ED Melbourne Metallic, Vis Pack, Dakota Leather, & Other Goodies :thumsup:
G29 M40i First Edition Frozen Orange :cool:

raven

What is Adaptive Mode?

Post by raven » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:58 pm

is anyone actively using that?
I find that it is a bit "twitchy" when it's raining. In my opinion it makes it harder to predict what the car will do, and i prefer driving in eco/comfort/sport over adaptive.
2019 BMW Z4 G29 M40i @600hp - IG: ZZZZ_M40i

daveking350z

What is Adaptive Mode?

Post by daveking350z » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:46 am

Wyldie85 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:19 am https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1573689

Have a read here. Lots of comments explaining what it does.
Thanks, I went through them, they do help me understand. I figure when my Dear and I are going on a long trip, especially on the interstate, I'll put it in Comfort mode, but for me, Sport Plus is right, the tighter and stronger, the better. Oh, and BTW, this car needs a manual transmission. Thanks!
Dave King
2020 M40i, San Francisco Red :driving:

Wyldie85

What is Adaptive Mode?

Post by Wyldie85 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:14 am

I’d love it with a manual transmission. That would be fantastic.

Yes for long drives and cruising, then Comfort is more than adequate. Sport is more responsive and makes the engine and exhaust more audible. Sport + is a whole different beast. :D
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

ori

What is Adaptive Mode?

Post by ori » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:17 pm

Does sport plus change the exhaust noise more than having it in sports?

PaperSniper

What is Adaptive Mode?

Post by PaperSniper » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:40 pm

ori wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:17 pm Does sport plus change the exhaust noise more than having it in sports?
Yep
2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Misano Blue, Premium, Leather
Need more curves in west Tennessee!

ori

What is Adaptive Mode?

Post by ori » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:59 pm

Guess it’s going into sports plus then. ;)