Stone chips

Discussing the next generation Z4
User avatar
Wyldie85
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2419
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:25 pm
Location: Farnham, Surrey
Contact:

Stone chips

Post by Wyldie85 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:53 pm

Great work Robersterrob! They really look the part and will help no end!
I wonder how many times a search for a Supra alternative will come up trumps for Z4.
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

Image

TheGingerOneNI
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:30 am

Stone chips

Post by TheGingerOneNI » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:26 am

Robsterrob wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:45 pm I was getting increasingly frustrated at finding more stone chips in the wheel arches, and having a custom set of guards made was cost prohibitive, however, I had a flash of inspiration, and had a look to see if anything similar was available for a Toyota Supra - and there was!

They needed a slight modification - one fixing hole was in the wrong place at the front, so a simple drill was all that was required, and I had to reduce the height of the spacers on the rear.

I think they look OK.
Got a link there buddy? Will have to make an investment in these...

User avatar
Wyldie85
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2419
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:25 pm
Location: Farnham, Surrey
Contact:

Stone chips

Post by Wyldie85 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:26 am

Quick Google search should bring them up. I see they’re on eBay as well. Not cheap though are they!
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

Image

User avatar
Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 8645
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:43 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Stone chips

Post by Swiftly » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:33 am

I've found a UK site thats selling them, they would certainly help stop some of the stone chips that's appearing on mine https://maxpwr.co.uk/collections/exteri ... 2296642756
Image
Replacement, G29 Z4 M401 in San Francisco Red :wub:
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

Robsterrob
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:07 pm

Stone chips

Post by Robsterrob » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:55 pm

That's the ones....need ever so slight modification (to the flaps, not the car) - you'll need a drill and a hacksaw. Pretty simple though.

User avatar
Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 8645
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:43 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Stone chips

Post by Swiftly » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:37 pm

Robsterrob wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:55 pm That's the ones....need ever so slight modification (to the flaps, not the car) - you'll need a drill and a hacksaw. Pretty simple though.
I've ordered a set, there're not cheap but if it sorts out the stone rash that's starting to form on the leading edge of the sills and rear bumper, then it will be more than worth it.
Image
Replacement, G29 Z4 M401 in San Francisco Red :wub:
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

ori
Member
Member
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:04 pm

Stone chips

Post by ori » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:16 am

When you get it, could you post what you needed to do to them and maybe some pictures on how it affects the look of the car?

User avatar
Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 8645
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:43 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Stone chips

Post by Swiftly » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:40 pm

ori wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:16 am When you get it, could you post what you needed to do to them and maybe some pictures on how it affects the look of the car?
Will do :thumbsup:
Image
Replacement, G29 Z4 M401 in San Francisco Red :wub:
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

ori
Member
Member
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:04 pm

Stone chips

Post by ori » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:32 pm

Swiftly wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:40 pm
ori wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:16 am When you get it, could you post what you needed to do to them and maybe some pictures on how it affects the look of the car?
Will do :thumbsup:
All angles! ;) I want to make an informed decision. All depends on you! No pressure!

gobowept
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:44 pm

Stone chips

Post by gobowept » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:02 pm

Swiftly wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:33 am I've found a UK site thats selling them, they would certainly help stop some of the stone chips that's appearing on mine
Will check that out too.

User avatar
Argyll Andy
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2190
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:16 pm
Location: Argyll & Bute

Stone chips

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:00 am

Swiftly wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:37 pm
Robsterrob wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:55 pm That's the ones....need ever so slight modification (to the flaps, not the car) - you'll need a drill and a hacksaw. Pretty simple though.
I've ordered a set, there're not cheap but if it sorts out the stone rash that's starting to form on the leading edge of the sills and rear bumper, then it will be more than worth it.
Nick, did you get these and if so how much fettling was required to get them to fit?

Cheers

Andy
Currently Zedless 4 more sleeps until our Misano Blue M40i arrives :D
E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone to a good home :thumbsup:)
E89 23i sDrive, Silver, Black leather heated MSport, Cruise, 296’s, Stubby (gone)

User avatar
Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 8645
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:43 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Stone chips

Post by Swiftly » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:12 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:00 am
Swiftly wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:37 pm
Robsterrob wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:55 pm That's the ones....need ever so slight modification (to the flaps, not the car) - you'll need a drill and a hacksaw. Pretty simple though.
I've ordered a set, there're not cheap but if it sorts out the stone rash that's starting to form on the leading edge of the sills and rear bumper, then it will be more than worth it.
Nick, did you get these and if so how much fettling was required to get them to fit?

Cheers

Andy
Andy, the wheels will need to come off, but the whole process only took me over an hour to complete. The kit contains everything you need. The front stone flaps were the easiest to fit, but you will need a drill as I found the top 2 holes didn’t line up with the pre drilled holes on the flaps. I reused one of the old shorter plastic rivets to temporarily locate the flap in place so that I could mark the new locations for drilling. Removed flap and drilled 2 new holes, then refitted using the new slightly longer plastic rivets which are a perfect fit. Each of the rear stone flaps come supplied with 3 screws and 3 plastic collars which act as spacers. The plastic collars need to be measured and cut to size with a hacksaw, so measure twice and cut once! I will try and take a couple of photos of the rears when I clean the car tomorrow.
20210417_140957.jpg
20210417_140957.jpg (165.27 KiB) Viewed 97 times
20210417_120232.jpg
20210417_120232.jpg (110.24 KiB) Viewed 97 times
Image
Replacement, G29 Z4 M401 in San Francisco Red :wub:
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

User avatar
Argyll Andy
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2190
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:16 pm
Location: Argyll & Bute

Stone chips

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:46 pm

Swiftly wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:12 pm
Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:00 am
Swiftly wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:37 pm I've ordered a set, there're not cheap but if it sorts out the stone rash that's starting to form on the leading edge of the sills and rear bumper, then it will be more than worth it.
Nick, did you get these and if so how much fettling was required to get them to fit?

Cheers

Andy
Andy, the wheels will need to come off, but the whole process only took me over an hour to complete. The kit contains everything you need. The front stone flaps were the easiest to fit, but you will need a drill as I found the top 2 holes didn’t line up with the pre drilled holes on the flaps. I reused one of the old shorter plastic rivets to temporarily locate the flap in place so that I could mark the new locations for drilling. Removed flap and drilled 2 new holes, then refitted using the new slightly longer plastic rivets which are a perfect fit. Each of the rear stone flaps come supplied with 3 screws and 3 plastic collars which act as spacers. The plastic collars need to be measured and cut to size with a hacksaw, so measure twice and cut once! I will try and take a couple of photos of the rears when I clean the car tomorrow.
20210417_140957.jpg
20210417_120232.jpg
Cheers Nick, I think I’ll just order a set. Any further pictures appreciated :thumbsup:
Currently Zedless 4 more sleeps until our Misano Blue M40i arrives :D
E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone to a good home :thumbsup:)
E89 23i sDrive, Silver, Black leather heated MSport, Cruise, 296’s, Stubby (gone)

User avatar
Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 8645
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:43 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Stone chips

Post by Swiftly » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:34 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:46 pm
Cheers Nick, I think I’ll just order a set. Any further pictures appreciated :thumbsup:
Rear flap
20210613_111829.jpg
20210613_111829.jpg (153.26 KiB) Viewed 63 times
20210613_111813.jpg
20210613_111813.jpg (112.42 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Image
Replacement, G29 Z4 M401 in San Francisco Red :wub:
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

User avatar
Argyll Andy
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2190
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:16 pm
Location: Argyll & Bute

Stone chips

Post by Argyll Andy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:03 pm

Swiftly wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:34 am
Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:46 pm
Cheers Nick, I think I’ll just order a set. Any further pictures appreciated :thumbsup:
Rear flap
20210613_111829.jpg20210613_111813.jpg
Thanks Nick, set ordered and ready to put on when I get it home :thumbsup:
Currently Zedless 4 more sleeps until our Misano Blue M40i arrives :D
E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone to a good home :thumbsup:)
E89 23i sDrive, Silver, Black leather heated MSport, Cruise, 296’s, Stubby (gone)

Post Reply