Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

G29 Test Drive thoughts compared to E89

Discussing the current generation Z4
firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:14 pm

jamesbond wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:31 pm Hello Chaps :D

Happy new Year .... and good health to all :) ..
Happy new year to you too Sean
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:01 pm

Personally I’m a turncoat on this subject, after another couple of test drives I’ve changed my opinion on the G29, some of that is down to the seats which I thought were uncomfortable which turns out it was some bruising down my left side causing the issues, not the seats, another is having had more time in it I kinda clicked with it which I didn’t before. I still think it’s more of the same but in a much much better chassis than the E89, but then is that a bad thing? A classy sports 2 seater GT car with a decent boot. AC Shnitzer among a couple of others are getting some good exhaust notes from it, the so so HK wireless speakers can always be swapped out to make a very good system, so hmmmm....very tempting. Such, such a shame BMW don’t offer cooled seats, why they don’t is beyond me, I specced cooled seats in the Evoque and they’re brilliant, utterly brilliant, they’d be so welcome in the Zed along with offering a high end gramophone like the Burmester in Porsche’s, then you’d have a really classy open top car, adaptive cruise is there, they’re very tempting as is but with those two additions even more so.

Bloody turncoat.... :oops: :roll:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:05 pm

john-e89 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:01 pm Personally I’m a turncoat on this subject, after another couple of test drives I’ve changed my opinion on the G29, some of that is down to the seats which I thought were uncomfortable which turns out it was some bruising down my left side causing the issues, not the seats, another is having had more time in it I kinda clicked with it which I didn’t before. I still think it’s more of the same but in a much much better chassis than the E89, but then is that a bad thing? A classy sports 2 seater GT car with a decent boot. AC Shnitzer among a couple of others are getting some good exhaust notes from it, the so so HK wireless speakers can always be swapped out to make a very good system, so hmmmm....very tempting. Such, such a shame BMW don’t offer cooled seats, why they don’t is beyond me, I specced cooled seats in the Evoque and they’re brilliant, utterly brilliant, they’d be so welcome in the Zed along with offering a high end gramophone like the Burmester in Porsche’s, then you’d have a really classy open top car, adaptive cruise is there, they’re very tempting as is but with those two additions even more so.

Good to see you coming round John! :thumbsup:

Cooled seats? That's a new one on me. I don't think so in this country.

How are you getting on with the Porsche these days?
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:53 pm

dr_john wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:05 pm
john-e89 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:01 pm Personally I’m a turncoat on this subject, after another couple of test drives I’ve changed my opinion on the G29, some of that is down to the seats which I thought were uncomfortable which turns out it was some bruising down my left side causing the issues, not the seats, another is having had more time in it I kinda clicked with it which I didn’t before. I still think it’s more of the same but in a much much better chassis than the E89, but then is that a bad thing? A classy sports 2 seater GT car with a decent boot. AC Shnitzer among a couple of others are getting some good exhaust notes from it, the so so HK wireless speakers can always be swapped out to make a very good system, so hmmmm....very tempting. Such, such a shame BMW don’t offer cooled seats, why they don’t is beyond me, I specced cooled seats in the Evoque and they’re brilliant, utterly brilliant, they’d be so welcome in the Zed along with offering a high end gramophone like the Burmester in Porsche’s, then you’d have a really classy open top car, adaptive cruise is there, they’re very tempting as is but with those two additions even more so.

Good to see you coming round John! :thumbsup:

Cooled seats? That's a new one on me. I don't think so in this country.

How are you getting on with the Porsche these days?
Yes I hold my hands up Doc, thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon in the G29. :thumbsup:

You’d be surprised at cooled seats, if you try them you wouldn’t want to be without them. I drove to Cornwall last July with them on low setting and got out the car feeling like I’d just got in it. On hot days they really do keep you fresh with leather seats, I think they’d be a great addition to the Zed.

Ahhhh...the 718, that went to a new owner a couple of months ago. Too harsh, too uncomfortable, dreadful engine note that became very very annoying, it was hard to accept the mistake buying it but it was worth a shot at selling it, I was bloody lucky to shift it before winter especially with the uncertainty over Brexit/government etc, a bit of a kick in the nads but sometimes things don’t work out, that’s life I guess. :roll:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:58 pm

john-e89 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:53 pm

Ahhhh...the 718, that went to a new owner a couple of months ago. Too harsh, too uncomfortable, dreadful engine note that became very very annoying, it was hard to accept the mistake buying it but it was worth a shot at selling it, I was bloody lucky to shift it before winter especially with the uncertainty over Brexit/government etc, a bit of a kick in the nads but sometimes things don’t work out, that’s life I guess. :roll:
Before you ask John - NO I'm not selling mine! :rofl:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:14 pm

ronk wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:58 pm

Before you ask John - NO I'm not selling mine! :rofl:
:lol:

No I knew that Ronk, 14 plate mineral grey 35is on the drive.....just waiting until they get their butts in gear and add cooled seats to the G29....... :wink:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:36 pm

john-e89 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:14 pm

No I knew that Ronk, 14 plate mineral grey 35is on the drive.....just waiting until they get their butts in gear and add cooled seats to the G29....... :wink:
You never know they might bring an update in for March time new reg cars, you'll be able to order one then :D
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:49 pm

I was very tempted to change after the test drive but a big £'s hit at 33 months and only 9.5k didn't impress me - add to that the same hit in another three years and it wouldn't sit easy on my mind. I still keep getting fishing texts from WBAC offering a few quid. It annoys me that they offer the same price but don't consider it has all the toys added.

The one thing the test drive did, is give me the lock up the arse to put some good/ Michelin rubber on the current car. Im sure as many have said before the change will transform the car and give it a new lease of life!

The car is sorned at the moment, tucked up in the garage with a dust sheet, a full tank and maintenance charger attached. Only another 10 or 12 weeks to go :thumbsup:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:35 pm

ronk wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:49 pm I was very tempted to change after the test drive but a big £'s hit at 33 months and only 9.5k didn't impress me - add to that the same hit in another three years and it wouldn't sit easy on my mind. I still keep getting fishing texts from WBAC offering a few quid. It annoys me that they offer the same price but don't consider it has all the toys added.

The one thing the test drive did, is give me the lock up the arse to put some good/ Michelin rubber on the current car. Im sure as many have said before the change will transform the car and give it a new lease of life!

The car is sorned at the moment, tucked up in the garage with a dust sheet, a full tank and maintenance charger attached. Only another 10 or 12 weeks to go :thumbsup:
Yep it’s how they operate, buy on a flat rate regardless of toys but sell with them all mentioned, seems unfair but they’re there to make money obviously.

You really need to get some non run flat rubber on it, you’ll be shocked at how much better the car is on them. I put Michelin’s on, transforms the thing, money very well spent.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:24 pm

Much the same feelings that I had when I ditched my 718. I decided to bite the bullet and cut my losses, there was no way I was going to bond with it.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:58 pm

dr_john wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:24 pm
Much the same feelings that I had when I ditched my 718. I decided to bite the bullet and cut my losses, there was no way I was going to bond with it.
Indeed, 1400 miles in and the reality was I was trying harder and harder to convince myself I liked it the more I drove it, that in itself says it all, the more you bullshit the worse it gets..! Not had one single moment since then pondering if it was the right thing to do, like you say bonding was never going to happen.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29