Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

G29 Test Drive thoughts compared to E89

Discussing the current generation Z4
Guitarman

Post by Guitarman » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:59 pm

I currently have an E89 23i which I still love. While it was being serviced the dealer let me take out a white G29 30i for the afternoon, very kind of them!
Initial impressions were it looked nice but not stunning. When I got in my initial thought was that it seemed like sitting in a saloon/couple more than a sports car. Everything seemed very square and angular, the windscreen seemed too square and upright. It was very comfortable however and the controls and tech felt great. Heading out onto the road it was very responsive and felt sharper all round than my E89.
I loved the heads up display!
Sound wise the engine sounded ok but nowhere near as nice as my 6 cylinder 23i.
Really enjoyed driving it on some country roads and soon got used to everything.
When I got back to the dealer I was sad to get out and hand it back.
However getting back in my E89 I totally changed my mind on the G29, the E89 immediately felt like a sports car not a saloon.the interior styling is way more original and looks much less corporate than the new car, and the engine sounded fab compared with the G29.
So overall, I won't be getting a G29, not sure where to go next for a real sports car when the time comes.
2011 Z4 23i M Sport Highline
Deep Sea Blue - Canberra Beige - 326m 19" Alloys
Auto with paddle shift, idrive

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:59 pm

Good appraisal for those who haven't been out in a G29 , its no secret i'm not a fan of them ( or indeed current Bmw models across the board) but i was travelling through Birmingham yesterday & had a misano blue 20i for company :driving: best part of 40 mins i deliberately moved around it so chance to study it from all angles , front , rear , sides whilst on the move & found myself admiring parts of it :o the 911 duck tail is a particularly fetching addition as are the double single exit exhaust pipes .
It looked beefy , quite a presence but remove the model badge & not sure they have set the base model apart from the top one enough to see where the £10k/£15k difference is ?
In fact i prefer the 2 round pipe look on the 20i to the distorted outlets the 40i gets :(
For me the biggest downfall is simply the pricing :cry: i'm not seeing the value anywhere near how Bmw currently see it & ultimately i think that will be its demise , a 2 seater soft top doesn't have the biggest market & could just be my own slant but the folding hard roof on the E89 actually added to its allure :? certainly the case for me as i like the coupe + convertible options it gives .
Time will tell i guess :wink:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:13 pm

The G29 just doesn’t offer anything much different to the E89, seems more of the same to me, relying on screens with a, new edge..? interior. The chassis is much improved but it’s still too heavy, too big, still lacking in steering feel. They could have made this car so much better and different to the last car, but imho it’s more of the same, and tbh not preferable to an E89 unless screens float your boat.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:52 pm

Interesting comparison OP. :thumbsup:

So if the G29 feels like less of a sports car than an E89, and the E89 is generally reckoned to be less of a sports car than an E85/86 it sounds like I really wouldn't enjoy a G29!

Luckily I have no plans to replace my E86 at present - it sounds like I'd struggle to find anything else I'd like as much. :(
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Guitarman

Post by Guitarman » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:32 am

mr wilks wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:59 pm For me the biggest downfall is simply the pricing :cry: i'm not seeing the value anywhere near how Bmw currently see it & ultimately i think that will be its demise , a 2 seater soft top doesn't have the biggest market & could just be my own slant but the folding hard roof on the E89 actually added to its allure :? certainly the case for me as i like the coupe + convertible options it gives .
Time will tell i guess :wink:
Yeah the folding hard top was one of the major plus points of the E89 which looked fantastic either up or down. I would wager this was ditched to save production costs and give greater profit margins rather than being anything to do with weight saving which is just a very poor excuse.

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:17 pm

Totally depends on what you want from a car. I'm a bit pissed off with continual criticism of the G29.

If you like a noisy hard ride with a touch of hot oil odour then go for a Porsche Boxster or similar, nothing wrong with that if that's your bag. Just don't ask me to drive one on 400 mile journey (again). I know, I've been there.

At my age that's all behind me, I actually WANT a comfortable ride with engine noise at a nice low burble, and able to appreciate a quality sound system. The G29 technology is exactly what I want, screens, HUD, etc etc.

I don't care what the f*ck it's called, sports car, saloon, whatever. I've owned 3 E89's and enjoyed every minute of them, the G29 is a great progression.

:thumbsup:
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:38 pm

dr_john wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:17 pm Totally depends on what you want from a car. I'm a bit pissed off with continual criticism of the G29.

If you like a noisy hard ride with a touch of hot oil odour then go for a Porsche Boxster or similar, nothing wrong with that if that's your bag. Just don't ask me to drive one on 400 mile journey (again). I know, I've been there.

At my age that's all behind me, I actually WANT a comfortable ride with engine noise at a nice low burble, and able to appreciate a quality sound system. The G29 technology is exactly what I want, screens, HUD, etc etc.

I don't care what the f*ck it's called, sports car, saloon, whatever. I've owned 3 E89's and enjoyed every minute of them, the G29 is a great progression.

Take some meds Dr :P worth noting the Sydney opera house was deemed a monstrosity when completed :roll: now its a icon :oops:
If you like the car that's all that matters , as for the hot oil odour on Porsche 8) that my friend is part of the appeal . clearly doesn't work for you but i like nothing better than garaging the car then returning to it 15-20 mins later just to get that smell & warmth that radiates from the back :oops: & on the aircooled you could listen to them ticking away as they cooled after a run :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Guitarman

Post by Guitarman » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:44 pm

dr_john wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:17 pm Totally depends on what you want from a car. I'm a bit pissed off with continual criticism of the G29.

Agree totally about the stupid Porsche Boxter, test drove a couple of them and hated it!
As I said in my OP the tech and controls in the G29 felt great, and it was much more responsive and a much sharper drive all round than my E89.
My main criticism of the G29 was that it felt more like you were in a 3 series Coupe than a Sports Car, because BMW now basically make all their cars have the same interior give or take a bit, and even from the outside it has more in common with the rest of the BMW range than previous Z4's had.
Previous Z4's were always their own thing styling wise, both inside and out.
That's what's bothers me.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:09 am

Always good to read another opinion on the new Zed. :)

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:17 am

Guitarman wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:44 pm

Agree totally about the stupid Porsche Boxter, test drove a couple of them and hated it!
As I said in my OP the tech and controls in the G29 felt great, and it was much more responsive and a much sharper drive all round than my E89.
My main criticism of the G29 was that it felt more like you were in a 3 series Coupe than a Sports Car, because BMW now basically make all their cars have the same interior give or take a bit, and even from the outside it has more in common with the rest of the BMW range than previous Z4's had.
Previous Z4's were always their own thing styling wise, both inside and out.
That's what's bothers me.
Fair comment guitarman. It has been said that the G29 looks like the new 6 series at a quick glance.

Guitars? - I'm a gigging Fender man, check out my band 'Six Dollar Hat' on YouTube, I'm on lead guitar.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

NewZdriver

Post by NewZdriver » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:31 am

I agree! Having had 2 e89s the g29 is light years ahead, has great presence and can handle long distance in greater comfort by a long way, plus the 2.0i unit is way more responsive than the one I had in my e89. I too find the constant negativity about the car quite non sensical. Yes everyone is entitled to their view but some of the criticism I’ve seen is laughable quite honestly 🤪
2015 Z4 e89 1.8i
2017 Z4 e89 2.0i msport auto
2019 Z4 g29 2.0i sport auto (rejected)
2019 ‘69’ Z4 g29 2.0i sport auto (comfort pack / 19” alloys)

2017 118d sport auto F20
2018 320d msport auto F30
2020 520d msport auto G30

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:52 am

Whatever your thoughts on the G29. I think we can all agree, lets hope BMW don't face lift it with the grille off that 4 coupe concept that's doing the rounds. Hideous!
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:44 am

:o

Doc chill......the post title said G29 test drive thoughts compared to E89, I’m only being honest, do you just want positive comments on the new car and not read anything else? Hardly a fair thread in that case. Doesn’t matter one hoot what people think, if you’re happy that’s brilliant, same goes for other owners, but the thread was asking for thoughts, good and bad, it’s all in the pot. These cars cost a lot of money so I think people are entitled to be honest, personally I’m just saying why I wouldn’t buy one, same as you did changing the Boxster, I’m happy for you.... :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:50 pm

sorry .. its a crap car, that's right you heard me right :D design is treacherous in my opinion ... the E89 is a better car as far as I am concerned. this is why i Purchased a Jaguar F Type which is leaps ahead of this pile of s**t.
But Hey Ho you will insist in supporting the German economy and trying to convince yourself you have purchased a good car ... yea right oh good luck with that theory :poke:
this car has absolutely no heritage when compared to the old z4 MODELS THAT IN MY EXPERT ONION ARE THE BETTER CARS :D
Born in Yorkshire ended up in Essex .. 35is Mel red now sold
Own 2 big cats (F type & XE S supercharged) looking for a z4 Hobby Car

z4 3.0i 03 - Z4 3.0i 04 - Z4 3.0i 05 - Z4 3.0i 03 - Z3M (s54) 03 Man - Z4M 06 - Z4M 06 - Z4M 07 -
Z4 35is 2014

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:52 pm

also forgot .. don't bother with any crappy comments as I will not bother to log on to see them :P
Born in Yorkshire ended up in Essex .. 35is Mel red now sold
Own 2 big cats (F type & XE S supercharged) looking for a z4 Hobby Car

z4 3.0i 03 - Z4 3.0i 04 - Z4 3.0i 05 - Z4 3.0i 03 - Z3M (s54) 03 Man - Z4M 06 - Z4M 06 - Z4M 07 -
Z4 35is 2014